Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Pavilion dv 5000 problem

Options
  • 21-01-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

A mate got the usual blue screen of death, I looked at it and put in an xp disc to boot into recovery. Selected the recovery option but to be told "No Hard drive"...Uh oooh I thought. Tried again and selected the other option of putting a fresh copy of xp on system, and same "No Hard drive"...

Didn't occur to me to pop his into my laptop to check it, but ordered him a new 250gig from Komplett. Put it in and guess what "No Hard drive"...

I put both of them into my laptop and hey presto did a scan and could select options in the setup...

I did a diagnostics in the bios on the original one but it failed straight away, the new one went through a few steps but it was a long process, so I cancelled it.

Just wondering now if something has gone on motherboard or is the 250gig to big to be recognised by the laptop?

Aghh!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I've seen this before. There is a setting in the bios to make your hard drive be seen by the windows xp cd. Rebooting now. I'll be back.

Edit; It's not on the Bios on this machine. I'll check tomorrow. If nobody else has given the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah the Bios on that laptop is very sparse to say the least....Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

graphics chip baby....your :)best bet is to find an empty skip.

tonyboy247 wrote: »

How can the GPU have something to do with the HD not showing up? If the GPU was gone then I would have a black screen or the usual bleeps....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tonyboy247 wrote: »

Take a weeks break.

• Advertisement

Bloody weird, disabled SATA controller in Bios and hey Presto it found hard drive...

mad m wrote: »
    Bloody weird, disabled SATA controller in Bios and hey Presto it found hard drive...

Thats the one,

Cheers^^...Hey have another problem with it now. The screen fades in and out and you have to hold the lcd a certain way so you get a good display...Would this be the Lcd inverter?

Btw, I hate laptops!!!!!

When you say fades. Does it fade to total blackness or does it just go dim.

Well right now it has all different lines going up and down it,looks like the colour of the weird rainbow.Very thin lines of colour. If I touch screen it may come back to normal desktop.

I hooked it up to an external monitor and thats fine....Sometimes it would fade to a washed out colour,or go grey/black.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds like it could be a loose connection somewhere? that's my first thought on it.

^^ what he said. :)

Yeah was thinking that, but the thoughts of opening it with all those bloody screws...

start with the top half. 5 screws behind 5 rubber bungs i think. Then pull the fron bezel fron the screen. Hopefully the problem is in there.

Ya might not have to take the rest of it apart. Alot of time the connection for the monitor to motherboard is behind the panel above the keyboard or below the keyboard. Probably only a few screws

Advertisement