Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we create a First Aid Kit from first hand experience?

Options
  • 12-05-2015 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I lug around a first aid kit as a matter of course, but rarely use anything that came with it. I mainly use items I have added myself due to personal experience of what I need, so I wondered if we could create our own list of essentials.

Here are the items I've actually used recently

Antiseptic Wipes - cleaning up small cuts
    Finger plasters - small cuts
    Very large plasters - protecting damaged areas of skin
    Arnica Cream - for bruises
    Antihistamine Cream - for insect stings
    Tweezers and needle - for removing splinters

I could list lots of other things that could be useful but I'm looking to get a list of minimal kit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Apart from what you have listed I've used a triangular bandage soaked in water as a cold compress on the back of my neck and women's sanitary towels are handy for when females are with you or you do something daft and give yourself a deep cut oh and don't forget the duct tape

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Forgot to say scissors (personally I have a victorinox climber in mine ) super glue small flashlight hand sanitizer maybe a lighter and needle to pick those splinters that are too far in for tweezers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not a problem I've had to solve in years but I always used to use Melolin burn dressing on blisters - burst blister with sterilized needle (heat in flame) cut Melolin to size hold in place with duct tape. Not sure why it worked so well but I think the Melolin gave just enough cushioning to protect the blister without sticking to it.

I still carry it or a similar dressing as part of a first aid kit because its handy on burns which can arise from a camp fire or camp cooking.

Scissors are also part of the kit, while they are safe I don't see the point of carrying around the virtually blunt scissors you get with first aid kits and always end up using the scissors on a Multitool.

Never used Super Glue on a cut but carry some around in the first aid kit because its just so handy for repairs. Not long ago I snapped a really cheap pair of reading glasses, the only ones I had with me and I had them repaired in a couple of minutes with super glue. The repair lasted about a month.

Has anyone ever used spray on plasters? I've seen tins of it a few times in Aldi and wondered if it was any good and what size wound you could use it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I have used the spray on plaster occasionally. I think the last time was a minor scalp wound which would not have been able to get a plaster on.

Just remembered one other thing I use occasionally (needed it today) Dental Floss. Take it out the fancy dispenser and it takes up little room in a First Aid Kit. It also handy to use as thread for stitching, fishing line and even thin string.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Im always meaning to sort out a first aid kit for the car… eye wash is a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have found Steristrips (butterfly sutures) to be very good for closing clean wounds.
    Melolin non stick wound dressings, in a range of sizes.
    Triangular bandages for slings/compresses.
    Savlon Cream for general wound dressings, try to use it so that it doesn't get everywhere and stop the wound tape sticking.
    A roll of self adhesive cloth dressing tape, fresh dated Old stuff gets too stuck to itself.
    I like the flexible crepe type and a roll of the white fabric fineweave for splinting.
    Eyewash+eyewash cup.
    A roll or two of crepe bandage for immobilisation and large wound dressing .
    Tweezers, 10x Loupe, shears for clothing.
    Oil of cloves for toothache.
    Thats all I can think of that I use on a regular basis at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Savalon cream is serious stuff, i picked up some sort of bite on my finger that got infected (iv psoriasis and it seems to attract biting insects) and my finger swole up. it happened before and i went to the doctor and it cost me over €100 for the visit and prescription :eek: so when it happened again i decided to give savalon cream a try and it killed the infection in a few days and brought the swelling down! defo a must have in the FAK

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have found Steristrips (butterfly sutures) to be very good for closing clean wounds.

Thats another one that I'll add to my EDC First Aid Kit.

We have First Aid Kits all over the place. In the cars, in the BOBs, at home and in my EDC rucksack. In this case when I posted the thread I was thinking of getting ideas for the EDC so can't really weigh it down with everything. The butterfly sutures are a great idea as a handful of them weigh nothing and take up very little room.

I'll look into the Savalon and see if I can get a small tube (a large 100g one is in the home kit), I see from online you can get 15 gram tubes which would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That kit I have there plus a few little bits and pieces like cut to size plasters will fit easily in a small bag or box, you are only limited by the size of the shears, but in a pinch you can get small shears that are only 5" or so long with blunt tips.
    I find the best way to organise them is to have a kit like the above for general carry, for the home a more comprehensive one and a small everyday one that kids can access with plasters, savlon, eyewash and burn gel, that way the big kit doesn't get rooted through every time someone burns them self or cuts a finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

I will be putting a couple of bottles of Colloidal Silver in my kit, in case of chest infection etc in a shtf.
    It's supposed to be Anti-bacterial, Anti-fungal and Anti-viral.
    Iconic Silver(Clear colour) is used for cuts, eye/ear infections, nebulizer use.
    Colloidal Silver(Amber colour) is for drinking.

I buy mine online, but if your up for it you can make your own with a mains adapter or batteries and two silver rods in distilled water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Coconut oil - not only for cooking but it makes good moisturizer, its anti-bacterial. it is good for treating sunburn and can help clean wounds. It also offers some sun and frost protection like any balm. Plus not only can it be used for cooking but in an ultimate shtf scenario you can also eat it as it is a big store of calories. So I would throw a jar of it into my bag and feel pretty happy about having a 1000 calories in a small jar which has more than a few different uses. Its versatile. It's also apparently flammable so perhaps you can use it to spark a fire [I havent tested this one out myself]. You can use common sense to navigate some of the sites which rave about it as a product. I think its a good product to have. Unlike say a bottle of some other oil in your bag , it won't spill all over your backpack. It cant because it tends to be solid in Irish temperatures and has a long unrefrigerated shelflife.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/25-clever-uses-for-coconut-oil-you-probably-dont-know.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Satts wrote: »
    I will be putting a couple of bottles of Colloidal Silver in my kit, in case of chest infection etc in a shtf.
    It's supposed to be Anti-bacterial, Anti-fungal and Anti-viral.
    Iconic Silver(Clear colour) is used for cuts, eye/ear infections, nebulizer use.
    Colloidal Silver(Amber colour) is for drinking.

I buy mine online, but if your up for it you can make your own with a mains adapter or batteries and two silver rods in distilled water.

You might want to review your use of colloidal silver, doesn't look that good...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

I cycle a lot and usually end up with cuts on my legs, I find that dry dressing with a dab of Germolene or Bepantiseptic as it is now known as (very easy name to remember - not) works wonders.

I picked up this nice piece of kit from Tesco bargain corner today

if I chip a tooth or lose a filling in the middle of nowhere, I will be able to repair my tooth at short notice with the same material which dentists use until I can find a professional. If the whole tooth comes out theres material to patch the gum and also fluid to preserve the actual tooth so it can be inserted back in by a professional. People sometimes chip their tooth on a hidden piece of bone in a steak. It happens a lot.

That's a good idea but I don't think its something I'd carry around with me all the time, but then my teeth have got to the stage where they have seen better days.

my3cents wrote: »
    That's a good idea but I don't think its something I'd carry around with me all the time, but then my teeth have got to the stage where they have seen better days.

I think its not a bad idea at all even to have at home or in the car on a trip but not necessarily weighing you down while hiking. If you chip a tooth over the holidays e.g Christmas eve or when a dentist is closed until the next day , this can patch up the lost filling or hole and also preserve a removed tooth until you can get help. in a shtf scenario it might be the only dentist you ever see for a long time. The packet says its the same material dentists use so it may last longer than just temporary if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

jaqian wrote: »
    You might want to review your use of colloidal silver, doesn't look that good...

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

Basically there is a safe daily limit you can take over 70 years without doing any harm.
    Anything in excess has consequences.
    http://www.silversafety.org/

We are talking a SHTF scenario here. Survivalism & Self Sufficiency.
    Imagine you are in a situation where antibiotics are impossible or extremely difficult to obtain, wouldn't it be nice to have your own Colloidal Silver making equipment and fight the infection yourself.
    Imagine surviving a SHTF scenario only to die a few weeks later from a chest infection.
    In a SHTF scenario, having a way of fighting infection has to be as important as having a way to get water, an energy source and food supplies.

In my family I have seen silver drastically reduce pink eye(viral conjunctivitis) overnight, get rid of green mucous in nose/tonsil area and a chest infection.

Look for it on Facebook, plenty of sites with success stories.
    Very popular with Cystic Fibrosis Facebook groups.

I'm sure not all suppliers are honest and some people are getting plain water thinking it contains silver, but I am happy with my supplier.

Restocked the first-aid kits and took this as an inventory pic. Its my car one but keeps getting used by my SO and the inlaws, not a whole lot i can do about it. Anyway would appreciate ideas on improving it, anything obvious I'm missing etc

IMG_20150818_221600.jpg

Looks good to me and its often better to make up your own First Aid Kit provided you don't miss anything out because then you know exactly whats in it. I'm always using finger plasters the ones that are shaped so they stay on your fingers better and I know some people find butterfly plasters very useful. Neither item takes up much room.

Edit> one other thing thats found its way into all my first aid kits now is a survival blanket, seems to have come about because a lot of bought first aid kits contain them and I find the cheapest way of making up my own is to use a commercial one as a base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Throw a triangular bandage in there while you're at it. Take up sod all space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Throw in a load more cleansing wipes. Very useful things. The first thing I reach for with cuts and scrapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are putting in scissors, nail scissors (straight or curved) are tiny, sharp, the points can be useful and you can clip broken nails (nuisance quite out of proportion to the actual damage) as well as cut up plasters.

My favourite go-to gunk is aloe-vera. Amazing for sores, abrasions, burns, pretty well anything.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Throw in a load more cleansing wipes. Very useful things. The first thing I reach for with cuts and scrapes.

While I agree particularly as antiseptic wipes take up little room it depends if that first aid kit is in the spirit of my OP an every day carry (EDC) or a static home first aid kit. If you are lugging it around with you then you need to draw a line somewhere.

I'd only have a couple of wipes in my EDC first aid kit but I'd also have a few plasters and antiseptic wipes in a pocket organiser I also carry. The first aid kit would often be down in the bottom of a rucksack so the wipes in the organiser get used first.
    looksee wrote: »
    If you are putting in scissors, nail scissors (straight or curved) are tiny, sharp, the points can be useful and you can clip broken nails (nuisance quite out of proportion to the actual damage) as well as cut up plasters.

My favourite go-to gunk is aloe-vera. Amazing for sores, abrasions, burns, pretty well anything.

Depends again on the size of the kit, I have one right by me here that has really good kitchen devil scissors that cut anything and a pair of nail clippers but most of us will probably have a leatherman type multitool that has suitable scissors for daily use?

But thinking about it I do like the idea of nail scissors as some of them are so small you'd hardly notice them.

Edit> Must read posts at least twice before replying, the recent picture is of a car kit so loads of room for more items.

@my3cents this kit resides in a backpack I keep in the car and actually have 4 space blankets and two ponchos and a deep freeze and deep heat spray.

@breadnbudda good idea, think I have a spare tri-angular bandage knocking around

@Tabnabs thanks for the reminder yeah must get more wipes alright, want the alco wipes but can be hard to get.

@looksee have been meaning to get a descent scissors, have a great one in the house kit.. The aloe vera is a great idea, never though of that.

Have also been meaning to get some small bottles of hand sanitiser

EDIT> @my3cents I must stick up a pic of my cycling EDC kit, really jammed stuff into it lol

EDIT> @my3cents I must stick up a pic of my cycling EDC kit, really jammed stuff into it lol[/QUOTE]

I have so much jammed in to the one I carry around it would have to be an emergency before I'd get it out because it takes ages to pack it all away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Leatherman shears has become an EDC for me, even nudges out me SAK if space is tight.

20140309_140220_zps5475a1b6.jpg

20140309_140312_zps927f1a63.jpg

I always have on my belt a CPR Mask in it's pouch, the Leatherman Shears, a Maxpedition Glove pouch stuffed with my "Boo Boo Kit" which is assorted plasters and steristrips/butterfly sutures and depending what's going on for the day an RCR123A LED Torch, my SAK (Climber I think?) or a "Rescue Hook" which the Leatherman also has, but this works great on Leathers, Boots or Flame retardant suits like the lunatics at the Autograss/rallying wear.

max-sgloves-003.jpg
    http://www.heinnie.com/maxpedition-surgical-gloves-pouch

image_72595.jpg
    http://www.heinnie.com/benchmade-knives-safety-cutter-7

I also keep a couple pairs of Nitrile gloves in the folds of the Maxpedition pouch so they are the first thing out when I open it, I got these at my local hardware store, but regular blue or purple coloured ones are better for detecting bleeding during a blood sweep/secondary survey.

These are tough and pretty tear resistant, which is good since I hate to shove on gloves only to burst one as I seat my fingers into it. This is why I always carry at least two pairs, at least if I tear a glove I have backups. If they become too soiled I can swap them out, I usually take a 9 in a glove but wear a medium Nitrile as I want it snug to maintain dexterity and feel, I hate trying to handle adhesive tapes or dressings with a "baggy" glove on!

5300Black.jpg
    http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=4916291

I also carry a more comprehensive Aid Kit in my work bag, more dressings, bandages, burn stuff, eye stuff, allergy stuff and a proper CPR mask and more PPE. We get HEP A and B inoculations at work for being Occupational First Aiders, but I am a non-Responder. Glasses and mask with the gloves if I'm dealing with other peoples fluids!

I'm an OFA at work, and a CPR-A working towards EFR hopefully this year with the Irish Red Cross, ultimately I would like to be an EMT and First Aid Instructor with the Red Cross (wouldn't fancy it as a full time job/career).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

Hydrogen Peroxide is great for cleaning out wounds and flooding it with oxygen. You would pour a little over the open wound and apply your steri-strips and dress the wound as normal. It's really cool stuff, the first time I used it it felt so weird! Almost as if a fizzy drink was coming out! :-/ But I healed up really quickly. :-) If you are purchasing in the Republic of Ireland you will have to explain WHY you need it, I think my wife said she needed it to remove sweat stains from some clothes.

Just a thought! :-)

The Mad Englishman.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hydrogen Peroxide is great for cleaning out wounds and flooding it with oxygen. You would pour a little over the open wound and apply your steri-strips and dress the wound as normal. It's really cool stuff, the first time I used it it felt so weird! Almost as if a fizzy drink was coming out! :-/ But I healed up really quickly. :-) If you are purchasing in the Republic of Ireland you will have to explain WHY you need it, I think my wife said she needed it to remove sweat stains from some clothes.

Just a thought! :-)

The Mad Englishman.

Having googled this bit of advice, I'm getting the same response again and again not to use hydrogen peroxide.
    Clean the wound. Use clear water to rinse the wound. Also clean around the wound with soap and a washcloth. Keep soap out of the wound, as it can cause irritation. If dirt or debris remains in the wound after washing, use tweezers cleaned with alcohol to remove the particles. If debris still remains, see your doctor. Thorough cleaning reduces the risk of infection and tetanus. There's no need to use hydrogen peroxide, iodine or an iodine-containing cleanser, which can be irritating to tissue already injured.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-cuts/basics/art-20056711

Seems to be the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Super glue is a must for me.

I recently moved into a new house and my first aid kit was in the next truckload of boxes. Whilst trying to cut open a package with a large kitchen knife, so bloody stupid, I managed to stab myself in my other hand quite badly. I definitely needed stitch or two and there was allot of blood. All I had to hand was super glued. After using most of the bottle and sticking my thumb to my hand and my hand to the counter top it worked out grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

A brown paper bag for if someone has a panic attack - takes up very little room in a kit.

A small plastic bag for putting the rubbishy bits in after you've saved these lives.

Advertisement