Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offering Piano Lessons to Beginners (Children) over Summer; any demand?

Options
  • 04-06-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I finished my RIAM Graded examinations last year with a Distinction in Grade VIII and i'm interested in providing lessons to children over the Summer for beginners only.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How would I go about advertising/preparing lesson plans? I realise i'm not fully qualified as of yet, but I am pressing that only absolute beginners would be suitable for my level of experience.

Is there any work to be got over the Summer months? Also what would a reasonable rate p/lesson be? I was thinking 10e for 40 minutes was reasonable?

Thanks for any help in advance, it's greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gardens

Hi ya,just curious where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

gardens wrote: »
    Hi ya,just curious where are you based?

Midlands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Im looking for lessons but im an adult living in Kildare, any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

Hi,

I finished my RIAM Graded examinations last year with a Distinction in Grade VIII and i'm interested in providing lessons to children over the Summer for beginners only.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How would I go about advertising/preparing lesson plans? I realise i'm not fully qualified as of yet, but I am pressing that only absolute beginners would be suitable for my level of experience.

Is there any work to be got over the Summer months? Also what would a reasonable rate p/lesson be? I was thinking 10e for 40 minutes was reasonable?

Thanks for any help in advance, it's greatly appreciated.

I realise this thread is ancient but generally I don't think there is any demand for lessons over the summer, kids are away and out of routine and will resent giving up sunny days to practice.

40 mins is too long for a beginner, 30 mins is plenty and €15 is fairly standard with students who teach, €12 is very reasonable and I don't know anyone who charges less, but €10 for a half hour is brilliant.

Don't know much about lesson plans but keep it varied with a mix of rhythm or clapping for a beginner, singing and playing.

Taking adult beginners is a great place to start as you can be clear with them that you're lacking structured teaching qualifications/experience and they'll just be happy to learn what they can and will teach you so much. You won't even realise what you know about teaching til you start. Always keep it positive and you'll fly :)

Advertisement