Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PVR that works with sky digital

• 05-02-2005 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

I know of sky plus obviously but i want a pvr that i can transfer whats on the pvr to my pc. sky plus doesnt have that from the research i did. all you can do is connect a dvd recorder 2 it and record in real time which is no good to me
    i would want a pvr with a firewire or usb connection on it
    any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only Sky+ can record the Pay TV channels.

Even if you *ONLY* use Sky+ for FTA recording you need to pay "recording rental"

You can only do analog capture to PC from Sky+.

For FTA channels on Sky, (BBC, Performance, Horror, Reality, S4C, ITV3 etc), you can use a non-Sky satelite PVR. Many non-Sky PVR will have Firewire/IEEE1394, USB, ethernet etc. Some nokia receivers can connect to PC via SCSI. None will take Sky card, even those that take any other Providers card.

It is a shame.

OR... From 60 Euro connect PC direct to dish/LNB with Direct Satellite card. Mine has built in MPEG2 decoder, TV out etc so is more like 200 Euro than 60. Direct to disk recording. Use a Dual or Quad LNB.

Use PVAStrumento to "fix" audio sync, bit rate and dropped frames prior to DVD authoring. Note some DVB transmissions are not DVD resolution compliant. PC DVD player SW will play simple mpeg2 files written to DVD of any DVB resolution (these are data DVDs, not Video DVDs).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

hmm, funny you should mention fixing audio sync, because when I authored an MPEG, the sync was out (using TMGPEnc). I also had warnings regarding my resolution too. Does PVAStrumento fix resolution too?

Anyway, back on topic :)

Not much else to say, watty has it all more or less summed up. AFAIK, Echostar has a very good non-Sky PVR. Dreambox is another possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The best you could probably manage is something like a Phantom PVR in conjunction with a HD/HD-DVD-R recorder if you want to record Sky channels. But that involves going from digital -> analog -> digital, so there will be a loss in picture quality and minus the integration of the Sky+ route.

http://www.bluedelta.co.uk/phantom_pvr.htm
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?LIT-HDDVDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

byte wrote:
    hmm, funny you should mention fixing audio sync, because when I authored an MPEG, the sync was out (using TMGPEnc). I also had warnings regarding my resolution too. Does PVAStrumento fix resolution too?

No PVAStrumento just fixes errors. Or converts PVA to PS, or demuxes / muxs A/V.

DVD can only be certiain resolutions. MPEG files made with TMPGEnc will generally be whatever resolution they are, thought it can change.

For changing resolution, letterboxing (or unletterboxing to animorphic), noise reduction, etc etc use Virtual Dub.

Recommended App usage:
    1) iuVCR for Analog capture control up to full PAL (works all decent capture cards /tuners). Use Huffy or MJPEG codecs, or use a Digial Camera as Analog Video to DV bridge (better).

2) iuVCR as transport / file controler for iLink/IEEE1394/Firewire DV transport (only use DV "codec") from Digital Camera

3) www.Technotrend.de for "Budget" or "HighEnd" (Skystar2 / SkyStar1) Direct from Satellite recording at 695MByte "chunks". Other programs may be more usefull for Streaming on LAN, or "SoftCam" but not as good / reliable.

4) PVAStrumento to calculate "real" bitrate, fix dropped data etc on Satellite files, audio sync etc.

5) Virtual Dub to fix field order, audio sync etc on Analog capture BEFORE MPEG encoding.

6) TMGPENC MPEG encoder for VCD (MPEG1), SVCD/DVD (MPEG2). Source *MUST* be a compatible resolution. SVCD at 4:3 can equal DVD at 16:9 ! DVD can't be 480 x 576. PAL SVCD is 480 x 576.

TMP DVD Author to make a Video DVD to play on any DVD player. PCs, Mac, Linux and some DVD players will play *ANY* resolution of MPEG(1, 2, 4) file copied onto a DVD, but this is *NOT* a video DVD.

Sonic MyDVD and similar is a basic thing for DV camera source. It staggering insists on re-encoding valid MPEG2 files! Poor even for DV compared with pair of TMPG products.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Thanks for your indepth reply watty.

Much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement