Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinding noise when driving

• 14-05-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hi all got a strange noise coming into the car yesterday! Noticed it when I sat into it yesterday morning there was like a grinding noise coming off the front driver side brakes.

The pads wore changed less than 6K ago so I don't think it needs new pads and haven't noticed them being any less effective anyone have any idea what it could be read on the internet that it could just be a stone or debris caught in around the brakes? Would it be something that easy? Is the car okay to drive?

Appreciate any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It could be those things, but we can't say for certain. What's the condition of the discs? It could be them also.

Is it only when braking? Or all the time when moving? Could be a wheel bearing or something. If you're not able to check these things out yourself you're best bet is to bring it to your mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Discs and pads look fine to me they aren't worn down. Its on and off while driving but always happens while braking.

2001 1.4 Bora if that's any help.

I can check them things, just don't want to do it in this weather haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,624 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sometimes a pebble can hop into the disc/pad/calliper area and make a hell of a racket.
    Either way it needs to be checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

_Brian wrote: »
    Sometimes a pebble can hop into the disc/pad/calliper area and make a hell of a racket.

If this is the case, I would think that you'd see a clear mark on the disc (could be at the inside of the disc also...), so it should be handy enough to check without having to remove the calliper first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

_Brian wrote: »

+1. I'd bet that is the problem too. Had it a while back on my wifes car and the symptoms seem to be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Could be a CV joint, or a differential rivet going walkabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Interesting that its a vw.Whatever way they have designed wheel arch -they can get pebble/gravel thrwn up into yhe caliper s and give that grinding sound.has happened twice in wifes 2011 golf.when getting it sorted,was told in dealers that is common enough in golfs,jettas etc.Reversing at speed can often get it out apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Wheel bearing perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Got it sorted. Took the pads off cleaned and regreased them and out them back on there was literally the smallest little pebble on one of the pads I'm assuming it caused it

Advertisement