Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OBD - SW and HW recommendations [no fault code questions]

Options
  • 22-07-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Has anybody got a suggetion for a good PC scanning system for private user.

I tend to stick to VAG stuff myself so was looking at the Ross Tech VCDS here http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html
    Its a bit pricey and only VAG but I'd like to be able to check other family members cars also as everyone tends to ask me about fixing stuff for some reason.

So has anyone found a good one that will cover all brands or are they all marque specific.

See this page for example http://www.innova.com/en-US/Product/List/87448f82-f9a3-4c87-9384-4c0dea8a7168

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

traco wrote: »
    Has anybody got a suggetion for a good PC scanning system for private user.

I tend to stick to VAG stuff myself so was looking at the Ross Tech VCDS here http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html
    Its a bit pricey and only VAG but I'd like to be able to check other family members cars also as everyone tends to ask me about fixing stuff for some reason.

So has anyone found a good one that will cover all brands or are they all marque specific.

See this page for example http://www.innova.com/en-US/Product/List/87448f82-f9a3-4c87-9384-4c0dea8a7168

Any suggestions welcome

VCDS is absurdly cheap for the level of functionality it provides. The VAG tool supplied to dealers costs thousands and has less functionality.

It also does generic OBD/EOBD stuff on other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Chimaera wrote: »
    VCDS is absurdly cheap for the level of functionality it provides. The VAG tool supplied to dealers costs thousands and has less functionality.

It also does generic OBD/EOBD stuff on other brands.

Thanks - it does seem like the best option for me. Just mailed Ros-tech tehor to see if it will connect to my other halfs ML even for getting standard codes off the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Ross-Tech came back and said its only VAG engines, in the US on hols in August so think I'll get it delivered there. Seems like a decent setup for approx €250

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It will be able to do OBD stuff on other brands, but the full functionality is limited to VAG brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I am looking at buying an OBD reader. I sawsome in Amazon and I am wondering are they any good. I want it to read codes of Toyota's, VW's and Citreon. I want to do some basic resetting as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

I am looking at buying an OBD reader. I sawsome in Amazon and I am wondering are they any good. I want it to read codes of Toyota's, VW's and Citreon. I want to do some basic resetting as well.

You should be ok with reading the Toyota, but you may run into trouble with the VW, think you'll need VAGcom for that, although I'm open to correction.
    Don't know about the Citroen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I bought a reader on ebay reads all common OBD and VW. The VW has a totally different protocol to OBD

it was bought 3 years ago cost over 100 euro plus postage they are much cheaper now I've tried it with a number of cars Toyota Ford Mazda Jeep Opel BMW

I had problem reading renault diesel 2001 as it needed a special renault reader before 2004
    never tried it on Citroën

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Anyone know of any good but affordable diagnostics software for car and trucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What level are you looking for? There's basic fault readers you can buy online for less than €20, these will read and reset the basic faults, fine for your average DIY mechanic to diagnose problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's your budget?
    What type of cars and truck do you envision you'll work on?
    What will you need to do with the tool?
    Are you thinking a cable/laptop combo or something handheld?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

If you have android phone the bluetooth elm 327 adaptor and torque pro app is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

You'll buy a code reader quite cheap... might be all you need... If you want to talk to the car/truck's ECU the sky's the limit but having diagnostics tool which works both ways is only any use if you have all the manufactures info on what to do with the information you have....

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Re OBD II scanners..... Utube clip might help on information.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCxsdCtxvtE

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

biko wrote: »
    What's your budget?
    What type of cars and truck do you envision you'll work on?
    What will you need to do with the tool?
    Are you thinking a cable/laptop combo or something handheld?

Yes a cable/laptop combo would be preferred. (already have a laptop).

Type of Trucks: ERF's,DAFF's ,Volvo,Hino, Scana etc etc

Type of Cars: Just the normal domestic cars ,Not the very latest models. VW, Ford, Toyota etc . Also small commercials, like Ford Transits, VW Caddy's, Citroen Berlingos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Was thinking of buying an OBD lead for connecting car to laptop. (VW Passat 1.9tdi b5.5). Any recommendations on software to use? Cheaper the better...or even free??

Advertisement