Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B6 Audi A4 Tdi fuel filter change

• 04-04-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

So guys, I changed the fuel filter on my b6 tdi 130 this evening and the clown that I am never filled the new filter properly to the brim with fuel (primed) before starting her..she fired for about 40-50 seconds and stopped.

Have tried firing her up at least 15 times and nothing, anybody have advice on how to bleed the air out of the fuel system on the tdi audi's?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Turn on and off the ignition about 15-20 times. Then crank it over until it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Thanks george, should I hear a fuel pump going aswell when I turn the ignition? I dont think I heard anything this evening when turning the ignition on...

Yes you should hear the pump in the tank running for a couple of seconds when you turn on the ignition.

Yeah I just turned the ignition now and heard the pump, Ill try your instructions first thing in the morning cos I don't want to annoy the neighbours this hour of the night! thanks again george!

Turn on and off the ignition about 15-20 times. Then crank it over until it starts.

George your a gent! I cycled the ignition 20 times and then turned her over and she fired up hesitantly after about about 30 seconds. Ill be sure to remember next time to fully top up the fuel filter with diesel..Thanks again!

• Advertisement

George can i ask you..

Since ive changed the diesel fuel filter im getting less mpg..strangely the motor seems to be burning more diesel with the new diesel fuel filter. I used an aftermarket filter..should I have used a genuine audi diesel filter?

I've never seen a fuel filter cause loss of mpg on one of these. Did you do anything else at the same time as changing the filter?

I've never seen a fuel filter cause loss of mpg on one of these. Did you do anything else at the same time as changing the filter?

Yeah I changed the thermostat also because she was only reading 70 degree on the coolant temp display, its reading 90 now after changing. Changed oil and filter, air filter and cabin filter. Nothing else done, mpg defo seems to have dropped off after the fuel filter change though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I did the fuel filter on a TDI recently and did the same as yourself, I only put a small but if diesel into it. It wouldn't start obviously so just ok it back out again, filled with diesel and put it back together. Fired into life after a few seconds.

I didn't want to put any strain on the fuel pump etc. car ran better with it changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

so if you have vcds you can get the pump to run for 30 seconds at a time, and they recommend 3 goes at it.

or fill it back up with diesel and turn on and off the ignition a few times as per above.

• Advertisement

tmg wrote: »
    so if you have vcds you can get the pump to run for 30 seconds at a time, and they recommend 3 goes at it.

or fill it back up with diesel and turn on and off the ignition a few times as per above.

Nice 1, recently acquired a vagcom cable so ill do it that with vcds next time!

Just to update on this issue, I bought a genuine coolant temperature sensor today and fitted it. Massive improvement in my fuel economy, back up around 50 odd mpg. :)

Advertisement