Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying in June - What do I do next?

Options
  • 13-03-2015 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm currently doing my BScED and I'll be graduating in June this year. I am well aware that the job market is fairly depressing so I thought I'd get a little advice from people in this forum.
    My main subjects are Chemistry and Science. At the moment I'm teaching 5th year Chemistry, TY maths and 2nd year Science. I'm a really confident teacher and I'm good at what I do but I don't think I'll get a 2.1.

I know there are jobs in England but I've been told that going to the UK for a year is like taking a step backwards as you are out of the Irish system for a year but surely working in a school in England for a year is preferable to working in Tesco for example, here for a year?
    I'd go anywhere for a job.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don't want to sound blunt but with the current jobs market being what it is I'd be very worried about having a 2:2 and no experience. You are fairly unlikely to even get to interview stage. In your case if you are prepared to go to England and get the experience I think it might be better for your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I went straight from my degree to a full time job permanent job on the UK. I have received promotions since then, 4 years on.

The first few months were quite tough, but once I acclimatised, I have enjoyed it since, although I am in a private school.

People that have slugged it out back home can offer better advice on that, but working full time in England has furthered my professionalism and has enhanced my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Why do you think England is a step back? If anything, its two steps forward. You learn so much more about differentiation, AFL, ICT, active learning, behaviour management etc. The UK system is well known for being much tougher than the Irish one, so you'll get some worthwhile experience and be a much better teacher by the time you return. I moved two years ago and I feel I've improved miles in my teaching. As tough as it is, it could be a great career move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Afroshack wrote: »
    Why do you think England is a step back? If anything, its two steps forward. You learn so much more about differentiation, AFL, ICT, active learning, behaviour management etc. The UK system is well known for being much tougher than the Irish one, so you'll get some worthwhile experience and be a much better teacher by the time you return. I moved two years ago and I feel I've improved miles in my teaching. As tough as it is, it could be a great career move.

Id agree, although we've had a few bad stories of certain schools in the UK on here... so it depends on the school and how you're supported too id imagine so definitely do yer research OP (the teaching abroad forum has more info on agencies and UK experiences (thanks to afroshack!)).
    You can get equally bad and good experiences in Ireland too but then again the security of tenure is non existent over here for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I know there are jobs in England but I've been told that going to the UK for a year is like taking a step backwards as you are out of the Irish system for a year but surely working in a school in England for a year is preferable to working in Tesco for example, here for a year?!

I think that's a made up silly lie. I heard it too, but after spending a year out, I can't see how it could be true. Not only for the reasons above, but you also gain skills that you probably never would get in your early years working in Ireland - for example tutoring a class, help planning lessons (I remember I once asked another Science teacher in Ireland for information about getting something from the tech room and she said "That's not my job, I'm not your tutor". 30 seconds it would have taken her! In England, some teachers would sit down with you and help you with a lesson. They say that if you can stick it out for two years in England, you can stick it out anywhere.

The number one reason to go to the UK for an Irish science teacher: They have lab technicians!!

The school I was in a kinda tough school, no doubt, but their Science department was top notch, had the greatest support and the best results out of any other (In your first year, all schools will be tough enough). If you want me to send on more information about the place, I'd be glad to if you pm me. [Edit] The schools actually looking for a Science teacher at the moment

Also, up the rebels!

• Advertisement
Advertisement