Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Meriva EPS problems

Options
  • 24-04-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have this terrible Power Steering problems on our 2007 1.4 l Opel Meriva 120000 km.
    It started a few months ago when the EPS light sporadically came on and the steering got hard for a few moments. That really felt dangerous!
    Brought the car to the main dealer but the diagnosis computer did not show any fault. Opel Ireland suggested to replace the steering column for Euro 1300.
    I can't afford this repair at the moment so I drove the car for the last 5 weeks with the EPS light coming on the odd time but no real change in the steering. (You would only here a small relay clicking noise)

Next was that the electric passenger window stopped working for a few days.
    This problem repaired itself and when my daughter as a passenger played with the window running up and done the EPS light came on quite frequently which was unusual.
    Took the car for a test drive and whenever I pressed both electric window switches to let windows up or down the EPS light showed!!
    Phoned the main dealer this morning and they suggested to first of all change the switches for the electric windows!! :eek:
    I wonder could this be a battery, alternater problem?? - if I could only get a little hint I could go to my local garage and get this repaired .

thank you in advance

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

It sounds like an earth (connection) fault to me but I know nothing about Mirivas. I don't know how handy you are but you could try tracing earth wires (I think they are brown in Opels) and cleaning any connection where they are bolted to the engine, steering rack or the body. Whatever you do, don't take the garage advice of a new rack, at least not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

I know this is an old thread but I'd been searching online for steering columns so Im just posting in case it happens to someone else.
    I had the same problem, 2006 meriva 1.4 and the power steering kept going on me with the light showing up on the dash. I was told that it would cost in the region of 1.5k to fix so I did what any modern, money short person would do.. got onto google to look for solutions. I came across forums that showed a steering fault with 2003 to 2008 merivas and by all accounts, everyone was told to contact Opel as there was some kind of recall done on merivas in that age bracket. I did this and after arranging and bring it for a short diagnostic check I got a phone call from Opel to say that Opel would be taking care of the total cost of repair.
    So if this happens to you, contact opel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pufi1984

Hi Ladyella,
    thank you for the useful information.
    Would you please share where exactly you went do diagnostic and did they charge you for it.
    Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

I called Opel head office and they put me through to my local dealership to organize the diagnostic check. They were very easy to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Bouncer

Just resurrecting this thread as I had the same issue and Opel confirmed the following

"I can confirm that there is a known concern regarding the Meriva power steering system, within Europe. For this concern, we have issued an extended warranty to have the fault rectified. The extended warranty is for 12years or 150,000kms which ever may occur first.The vehicles affected are vehicles manufactured from 2003 to 2008"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 msafty

Hi,

Thanks for the update and the information. I also have Meriva with the power steering defect. Could you please let me know whom should I contact? Should I reach out to one of the dealers or Opel's main office is the one that can only help?. I'm also based in Cork.

Cheers,

-Safty

• Registered Users Posts: 2 msafty

I just wanted to share below update in case if someone else experiences the same issue:

I reached out to Opel's main office and they transferred me to one of the dealers in Cork. I have paid a 100 Euros for diagnosing the issue with my Meriva (however, I was not informed earlier that I need to pay for that myself!).

After the diagnostic test that took almost 3 hours I was told after that that the steering column needs to be replaced, and that would cost me 1496.91 Euros due to the "car's age". My car is 2005. Asked them what is the maximum age, they said 10 years however as per above update from The Bouncer he/she was told 12 years.

I have sent an email and the invoice to Vauxhall. Let's see how it will go..

Cheers,
    Safty

Advertisement