Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mark of the Ninja

Options
  • 17-09-2012 2:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Surprised to see this hasn't been mentioned here yet, especially given the very positive response it has received from critics (the word 'perfect' being used in a surprising number of blurbs).

I've played through the first two levels and am really enjoying it. It's a simple premise, and the game isn't the most challenging ever, but I'm finding my search for elegance and perfection is making levels take far longer than they possibly should :pac: The mechanics work really well, and in a welcome change the art design is fully formed to enhance and assist the gameplay: full of dark corners, shadows and dangerous light sources.

It's a very tightly designed 2D platformer, and the trial is tantalising enough that a purchase was a no brainer :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was put off this by the Shank games being borderline crap but I'll give the trial a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah didn't even realise it was by the Shank guys until I had played this for a few hours. Aside from the character art being similar, it shouldn't put you off: this is a much better designed game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This game is so much fun. Ima kill everything!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

That looks pretty good, will have to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked the demo, but it wasn't enough to entice me to pay full whack. I'm sure it will be discounted in the Christmas/NY sales.

Having said that, a lot of podcasts I listened to recently have raved about how good it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I got this yesterday and it had recommended games so i clicked on crimson alliance and then got it for free. same happened when i got braid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Dismissed it after hearing it was made by the same team that made Shank. Saw the quick look on Giantbomb and it looks very good. Its not just a mindless 2D Beat-em-up. Gonna pick it up for sure when i dont have so many games to play :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Went home and bought this last night, played the first level.

Pretty good... Worth the download

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping the thread as I picked this up myself after reading some of the buzz on other gaming sites; the hype is justified, it's a quality stealth 'em up (the best since Thief?) and would recommend it, sale or no sale.

The art-style looks great throughout, with the variation of animations & behaviour giving it a natural flow, and the game's use of light & shadow makes even otherwise-simple rooms feel like a puzzle in themselves. I enjoy the scoring system too, trying to find more elaborate / sneaky ways of racking up points.

My only complaint might be the lack of non-lethal options for those of us not wanting to kill everyone, but otherwise it's one of the games of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I always wanted to be a ninja named Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It is on sale tomorrow.... (one day only)

Advertisement