Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Moran, COC and Dillon all played tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    Moran, COC and Dillon all played tonight.

wouldn't it be some craic if Kildare took the dubs out of our side of the draw tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

km79 wrote: »
    wouldn't it be some craic if Kildare took the dubs out of our side of the draw tomorrow :D

A Kildare win would not guarantee that.

If Dublin were to continue to win in the A side of the draw then they may meet the Leinster champions in the QF, win that and they may meet Mayo in the SF, if Mayo have kept winning to get to that stage.

A Dublin loss in the Leinster final would guarantee that they are not on the same side as Mayo, as long as Mayo don't lose the Connacht final also.

If Dublin won their 4th round qualifier then they would have to meet the Munster champions in the QF, and if they won would then meet the Ulster champ or B side qualifier in the SF, and that B side qualifier may be Mayo if Mayo were to lose the Connacht final.

A Kildare win would not guarantee that.

If Dublin were to continue to win in the A side of the draw then they may meet the Leinster champions in the QF, win that and they may meet Mayo in the SF, if Mayo have kept winning to get to that stage.

A Dublin loss in the Leinster final would guarantee that they are not on the same side as Mayo, as long as Mayo don't lose the Connacht final also.

If Dublin won their 4th round qualifier then they would have to meet the Munster champions in the QF, and if they won would then meet the Ulster champ or B side qualifier in the SF, and that B side qualifier may be Mayo if Mayo were to lose the Connacht final.

oh yes I had not really thought about
    it's better so if they lose the final :D

• Advertisement

oh yes I had not really thought about
    it's better so if they lose the final :D

A Dublin or Kerry loss in their respective provincial finals would be interesting as they could meet in the QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

A Dublin or Kerry loss in their respective provincial finals would be interesting as they could meet in the QF.

Don't see that happening, I would be surprised if Cork beat Kerry.
    Would love to see Dublin lose in Leinster, as it's a one horse race far too long. Even though it's almost the same in every province more so there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

agh lads
    ye are afraid of them already

if we are to win , we will have to beat them at some stage
    so this is a load of poppycock, we have to beat Sligo first
    and not make the same mistake as the Rossies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

neiphin wrote: »
    agh lads
    ye are afraid of them already

if we are to win , we will have to beat them at some stage
    so this is a load of poppycock, we have to beat Sligo first
    and not make the same mistake as the Rossies

100% agree. Sligo deserve respect and will get it. This Mayo team arent Roscommon, thank God. The Rossies always lose the run of themselves when they think they have found footballers who can kick the ball straight.

Fair play to Westmeath today. Imagine John Heslin in the Mayo forward line :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

All eyes on game 2, no point in looking any further.

• Advertisement

quick question cos I can't find a quick answer !
    do season ticket holders get free entry to minor match ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

quick question cos I can't find a quick answer !
    do season ticket holders get free entry to minor match ?

Ya I think

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any word on injuries or lack of over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Reportedly no injuries.
    Did anyone see the Aghamore game to see how Alan Freeman played. I had heard he was going well?
    I had a look back at the Dublin league game. Y'know Freeman if he shaved his head and shouted after his good moments would be seen as some kind of hard man who can also score. In that Dublin game he was the only forward getting stuck in in the first half when everyone else was marked absence in terms of the dirty work, he was turning hard won ball into passes to a team mate. As usual he won scoreable frees and didn't really get the credit due for it. A painful exercise but I recommend anyone look back at the first half of Mayo - Dublin league and count all incidents he's involved in. I counted roughly 6 positive and 2 negative. At one stage McGloughlin just stood looking on as Freeman was fighting to win back ball on the ground.
    His problem I see is one of image. If he was all John Mullane like after every good moment there would be a perception that he's some beasht of a man who fights for the cause. But because he quietly goes about his business and doesn't get involved in any off the ball stuff Freeman has a perception problem amongst pundits and fans.
    His stats in terms of goal scoring, point scoring, winning ball, successful passes to a team mate, goal scoring % are impressive on a seasonal basis. Other players survive a bad game but never Freeman. Simply ridiculous that he is almost now a "Give him 5 minutes at the end" type of player.
    If you hold off on judging a player either positive or negative on a match to match basis but look more at their seasonal performance you get (like in the film Moneyball) a more accurate picture of which players can bring seasonal success. In terms of what is being way overrated now are worker type forwards who never goal or setup other players in either direct assists or second out assists from the scorer. Far too many overrated players in most teams who can't do anything of much quality with posession.
    Derrys highest posession player McGoldrick was in my view damaging to their attacking game, 28 posessions and couldn't do anything of any quality with it. He didn't have a score, an assist, a second player out assist or win a scoreable free off of 28 posessions. Back and forth with easy option ball out around the middle of the pitch away from the scoring zone.
    The way people harp on about turnovers you would swear a score goes up on the board when you get one. Any player rated well on turnovers must have high pass completion and assist rates or they're not bringing much game winning performance to the table. If they're losing posession themselves (turnover to other team) then they need to be much more heavily involved in the scoring and assists as they're only about breaking even in terms of helping their side win the posession battle. As I see Gaelic Football now these turnover worker merchants if they have two impressive turnovers can themselves get away with three innaccurate passes in the same game. Despite that being a 1 turnover negative swing to the other team. Okay rant over but I'm just tired of seeing the obvious statistical gap between players with minor deficiencies in workrate who far exceed worker forwards in the quality stakes in terms of assists and scoring.
    Posession does not win Gaelic Football games but the efficiency with which you turn attacks (posessions) into scores. To be efficient you have to have on average attackers with high % shooting and high rates of assists, second out assists and pass completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »

Just a pity that nothing seems to be being done about it.

Reportedly no injuries.
    Did anyone see the Aghamore game to see how Alan Freeman played. I had heard he was going well?
    I had a look back at the Dublin league game. Y'know Freeman if he shaved his head and shouted after his good moments would be seen as some kind of hard man who can also score. In that Dublin game he was the only forward getting stuck in in the first half when everyone else was marked absence in terms of the dirty work,......

Good points about Freeman.
    Oddly one of my highlights of the 2014 season was the way Freeman fought and won a ball he had no business winning to set up O'Shea's goal v Cork
    If I find the vid I'll post it

Edit - Or at least I think it was Freeman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is much expected of our minors this year?

Great points about Freeman, really unsung and always chips in. Bit like DOC for years, got grief for not doing what he was meant to be was doing lots of donkey work.

Brolly is right, though he loves telling us!

Hard to know about the minors, will be interesting to see. That game is in McHale?

Freeman was winning back ball in many games and if he was all hard man hero about it he'd honestly never have been subbed as much. He's a bit indistinctive apart from his two handed release of the ball to shoot. But physically not as obvious as AOS/Dillon/Andy/Cillian. Manys the time yer unsure if it was indeed him in a crowd of players.

• Advertisement

Freeman was winning back ball in many games and if he was all hard man hero about it he'd honestly never have been subbed as much. He's a bit indistinctive apart from his two handed release of the ball to shoot. But physically not as obvious as AOS/Dillon/Andy/Cillian. Manys the time yer unsure if it was indeed him in a crowd of players.

We are an easy target for brolly as we have won nothing bar Connaught but lord he is a prick.
    There was no need to bring Mayo in to it for the Dublin Kildare game he just like to poke a stick every now and again

naughto wrote: »
    We are an easy target for brolly as we have won nothing bar Connaught but lord he is a prick.
    There was no need to bring Mayo in to it for the Dublin Kildare game he just like to poke a stick every now and again

Brolly's first love will always be Derry naturally.
    After that he has a hard on for Ulster football in general and whoever is doing well in it.

So he had to write about Mayo cos he was not going to broach the subject of Derry failing to beat a poor Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

There's no point getting too prickly about Brolly. I don't believe he hates Mayo at all but we're an easy target and to be honest, all the losses and disappointments have left us a hyper-sensitive bunch. We've shipped so much abuse about being bottlers and chokers and whatnot that the constructive criticism falls between the cracks. It's not his first time writing about Mayo's defensive problems (he wrote a similar article last year I believe) and to be honest I think he's spot on. Goals at the wrong moment cost us dearly in the '12 and '13 finals and last year's debacle against Kerry (amidst all the crying about the venue) was caused because we couldn't contain their forwards.

Horan's running half-backs gave us plenty of goals and exciting moments and probably shored up the forwards when they were found to be lacking (Donie Vaughan and Lee Keegan must have been the highest scoring HBs in the country) but it left us badly exposed at times (the Derry match last year was the worst example). I thought we defended very well against Donegal in the league, a shame we didn't take more of our chances. Unless we continue to build and improve our defences we're not going to win Sam, simple as. The big teams will always expose any shortcomings ruthlessly.

When are the tickets out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

naughto wrote: »
    When are the tickets out?

Once the minor finalists are decided at the weekend.

Clarke a doubt for the final with a groin injury
    I'd rather have no injuries at all but if there is one area where we are OK it's goals!

Anybody heading up to the minor game on Saturday?Looking forward to seeing what talent of tomorrow will have to offer.It would be nice to secure another win over the Tribesmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Kilkenny v Mayo in Junior All Ireland Football semi final Nolan Park July 25th. Is this the first time the counties have met in a national inter county match in any level/code?
    http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/all-ireland-junior-football-championship/

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    Kilkenny v Mayo in Junior All Ireland Football semi final Nolan Park July 25th. Is this the first time the counties have met in a national inter county match in any level/code?
    http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/all-ireland-junior-football-championship/

IIRC the last time Mayo have played Kilkenny in the football was in November 1997 in the league when we beat them 2-17 to 1-5. No idea how we ended up in the same division as them but there was some kind of a reorganisation of the league and somehow we got thrown in with them.

It was played in Nowlan Park. The opener was a hurling match featuring Ballyhale Shamrocks. My father went to the match and he couldn't believe how big the crowd was when he got there. Of course when the hurling finished everyone got up and left, about a few dozen stayed to watch the football!

IIRC the last time Mayo have played Kilkenny in the football was in November 1997 in the league when we beat them 2-17 to 1-5. No idea how we ended up in the same division as them but there was some kind of a reorganisation of the league and somehow we got thrown in with them.

It was played in Nowlan Park. The opener was a hurling match featuring Ballyhale Shamrocks. My father went to the match and he couldn't believe how big the crowd was when he got there. Of course when the hurling finished everyone got up and left, about a few dozen stayed to watch the football!

That's dedication to the cause Defiler,totally ignorant of the fact that Kilkenny had any knowledge of the bigger ball!I presume they've never fielded a team in the senior football championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

That's dedication to the cause Defiler,totally ignorant of the fact that Kilkenny had any knowledge of the bigger ball!I presume they've never fielded a team in the senior football championship?

They won three Leinster senior football titles. Indeed they won the first ever Leinster title.

Well a quick look at the Kilkenny GAA Wikipedia page tells us the following:
    In the GAA's early years, Kilkenny had some success at football. Between 1888 and 1911 Kilkenny contested 7 Leinster finals, winning 3. They won the first ever Leinster Senior Football Championship that was played in 1888 with a victory over Wexford.

So like many of today's weaker counties they had success in the formative years of the GAA but things have been quiet since! They've sporadically played in the league over the years and played in the Tommy Murphy cup when it was alive. As far as I know however they have regularly competed in the Junior and Intermediate championships. It's hard to see things changing for them in the near-future with the hurling team being so strong but you never know I suppose.

As for my Dad yes, he was following the team when it wasn't glamorous. I would love to see Mayo win the All-Ireland even just for the older folk who stood by the team in the dark days of the 70's and 80's, would be a just reward for all the mileage put in.

I remember listening to that game on MidWest, from what I can remember the result was never in doubt!

Well a quick look at the Kilkenny GAA Wikipedia page tells us the following:

So like many of today's weaker counties they had success in the formative years of the GAA but things have been quiet since! They've sporadically played in the league over the years and played in the Tommy Murphy cup when it was alive. As far as I know however they have regularly competed in the Junior and Intermediate championships. It's hard to see things changing for them in the near-future with the hurling team being so strong but you never know I suppose.

As for my Dad yes, he was following the team when it wasn't glamorous. I would love to see Mayo win the All-Ireland even just for the older folk who stood by the team in the dark days of the 70's and 80's, would be a just reward for all the mileage put in.

Same as,if and when Mayo do get their hands on Sam it will be just reward for many of the older generation who have followed them in far less glamorous times and have a massive gra for the Green and Red.

We really don't realise how good we have it in comparison with the largely barren and dark days of the 70s and 80s.OK we have'nt landed the big prize but we have still enjoyed many good days.

Hopefully this will finally be our year.

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I remember listening to that game on MidWest, from what I can remember the result was never in doubt!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I was at that Kilkenny game, first and only time I was ever in Kilkenny. The worst thing about it was that it actually took us a while to put them away! Despite going close in two All Irelands we had a shockingly bad forward line back then and struggled to put up big scores on teams we should have been beating easily. My memory of it is that we kicked a few late scores which made the scoreline look a bit better but all in all we made hard work of beating an awful team.

I also remember getting dragged down to Graiguecullen, a suburb of Carlow, once to play Laois because of a Ballagh style row over whether the place belonged in Laois or Carlow - again the first and only time I was ever in Carlow. Mayo had a big travelling support back then too, but not near as big as it is these days. Away league games are a great way of seeing parts of the country you'd never otherwise have any reason to visit, but being in Division 1 for so long (since 99?) means we just keep playing the same teams over and over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I was at that Kilkenny game, first and only time I was ever in Kilkenny. The worst thing about it was that it actually took us a while to put them away! Despite going close in two All Irelands we had a shockingly bad forward line back then and struggled to put up big scores on teams we should have been beating easily. My memory of it is that we kicked a few late scores which made the scoreline look a bit better but all in all we made hard work of beating an awful team.

I also remember getting dragged down to Graiguecullen, a suburb of Carlow, once to play Laois because of a Ballagh style row over whether the place belonged in Laois or Carlow - again the first and only time I was ever in Carlow. Mayo had a big travelling support back then too, but not near as big as it is these days. Away league games are a great way of seeing parts of the country you'd never otherwise have any reason to visit, but being in Division 1 for so long (since 99?) means we just keep playing the same teams over and over now.

You should go back to Kilkenny some time - it's great craic

Mayo minors getting hammered down by 9

Totally outclassed,solitary goal.Can't get any foothold in the Galway half.Hard to see any way back,quite a strong wind though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This is shocking stuff. Don't want to have a go at the players, they're young lads and I'm sure they're giving their all but the underage situation in Mayo seems to be deteriorating badly. Our under 21s have been poor for years and it seems to be spreading down to minor level also now. Is there a problem with the system or are we just going through a bad run?

Mayo 1-01.

Galway 3-13.

A serious hammering no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

It's a worry

This is shocking stuff. Don't want to have a go at the players, they're young lads and I'm sure they're giving their all but the underage situation in Mayo seems to be deteriorating badly. Our under 21s have been poor for years and it seems to be spreading down to minor level also now. Is there a problem with the system or are we just going through a bad run?
    This is the first really poor batch of minors in quite a while in fairness, although the under 21 picture has been a worry for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Agreed its the bigger picture within coaching structures in the county. However the minor set up to now have been fantastic. Young lads will hopefully learn from this terrible defeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Agreed its the bigger picture within coaching structures in the county. However the minor set up to now have been fantastic. Young lads will hopefully learn from this terrible defeat

So whats the issue then?

That's an awful hammering. Missing the two midfielders though didn't help, along with Akram.

Really disappointing for the young lads,totally outmuscled in physical terms by a decent looking Galway team.The Galway number 8 who got MOTM was superb,ditto the centre half back.The Galway number 10 Eric Lee has a serious range in his free taking if he needs to improve his accuracy a tad.

We've had a pretty decent period at minor level but the through put from the under 21s is a serious concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Mayo 1-01.

Galway 3-13.

A serious hammering no doubt.
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    It's a worry

more than that compadre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Wonder when was the last time a Mayo team only got two scores in a match...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement