Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes in Gorey closing down?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    In Fairgreen S.C. in Carlow, Tesco use a separate entrance/exit for after hours (they open 7am-12 Midnight 6 Days & 8am-10pm Sundays) but it's shut & locked during normal trading hours where shops in the centre're only open til 6pm Saturday through Wednesday & til 9 on Thursdays & Fridays.

Why can't Dunnes & Management use this logic to resolve the issue?

Dunnes themselves do this in the Blanchardstown Centre, where their supermarket is open up to midnight. A door was constructed for the purpose, which remains locked while the rest of the Centre is trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

vicwatson wrote: »
    Dunnes are stuck in the 80's when it comes to industrial relations, they just love a good court fight, meanwhile the staff are left high and flippin' dry !

I never understand this type of comment - usually its a "union" comment rarely based on fact. Remember Dunnes (as is their right) do not recognise unions (similar policy to Ryanair).

Usual troublemakers that you get in every workforce want more than they signed up for. (Again - don;t believe the union word of zero hour contracts - there are no zero hour contracts)

In the gorey case ALL workers are woring their normal shifts (rostrers created a month in advance) and they have been told there will be no immediate change in their hours.

Today the high court has put a stay on the injunction for 2 months, so looks like the store will re-open.

Again mandate say they don't know if the store will re-open. Of course they don't, Dunnes will never ever go through a union, so the unon again tries to create uncertainty when there is none.

I don;t shop in dunnes - but I have my own reason for that - but I despise union bully tactics more than I despise dunnes!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

delahuntv wrote: »
    I never understand this type of comment - usually its a "union" comment rarely based on fact. Remember Dunnes (as is their right) do not recognise unions (similar policy to Ryanair).

Usual troublemakers that you get in every workforce want more than they signed up for. (Again - don;t believe the union word of zero hour contracts - there are no zero hour contracts)

In the gorey case ALL workers are woring their normal shifts (rostrers created a month in advance) and they have been told there will be no immediate change in their hours.

Today the high court has put a stay on the injunction for 2 months, so looks like the store will re-open.

Again mandate say they don't know if the store will re-open. Of course they don't, Dunnes will never ever go through a union, so the unon again tries to create uncertainty when there is none.

I don;t shop in dunnes - but I have my own reason for that - but I despise union bully tactics more than I despise dunnes!

Not zero hours just crap hours.
    All they're looking for is a predictable and decent weekly wage.
    Dunnes have a proven track record of treating staff deplorably.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

If anyone is using bullying tactics here then surely it is Dunnes? The unions have no power here so can whinge on the sidelines but can't exactly bully anyone.

Dunnes are sending a clear message to any potential buyer of the site that they have all the power here. "Try to enforce a legally binding contract on us in court and we'll make sure all your tenants suffer / close."

This puts quite a few jobs at risk - not just the smaller tenants but also the Dunnes staff themselves. They're not going to employ people to work in a closed store for long.

I'd say the earlier poster is spot on: Dunnes don't do modern industrial relations, they're stuck in the 80s. Well, good luck to them. I, for one, won't be giving them any business in any of their stores until they start treating their staff like human beings not just numbers that can be used and abused. The management will hardly be quaking in their boots, but hopefully I'm not the only one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

kneemos wrote: »
    Not zero hours just crap hours.
    All they're looking for is a predictable and decent weekly wage.
    Dunnes have a proven track record of treating staff deplorably.

3 wage rises in 3 years? - Track record is if you are crap at your job or donlt show and interest, you'll be teated the same way.

Unions bleated on about "zero hours" to get sympathy from public and to get the less informed staff to join their bully tactics. Union also said "100 jobs were being lost in Gorey with no notice given" - the reality was that ALL staff were being paid in full for their roster.

ITDept wrote: »
    If anyone is using bullying tactics here then surely it is Dunnes? The unions have no power here so can whinge on the sidelines but can't exactly bully anyone.

Dunnes are sending a clear message to any potential buyer of the site that they have all the power here. "Try to enforce a legally binding contract on us in court and we'll make sure all your tenants suffer / close."

This puts quite a few jobs at risk - not just the smaller tenants but also the Dunnes staff themselves. They're not going to employ people to work in a closed store for long.

I'd say the earlier poster is spot on: Dunnes don't do modern industrial relations, they're stuck in the 80s. Well, good luck to them. I, for one, won't be giving them any business in any of their stores until they start treating their staff like human beings not just numbers that can be used and abused. The management will hardly be quaking in their boots, but hopefully I'm not the only one...

some unions are stuck in the 60's and think they can play a pr game - truth always comes out. 3 pay rises in 3 years (unlike other stores), many stores did not particpate in strike cos the workers staed (in signs on their windows) that they had no issues with their hours.

as for the gorey issue, the second entrance was open since last November - it was the receivers who too the action, not dunnes.

too many people seem to jump to conclusions and believe whatever bile unions will spout - try asking some workers who are working there for a few years. You'll get a different answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

as for the gorey issue, the second entrance was open since last November - it was the receivers who too the action, not dunnes.

too many people seem to jump to conclusions and believe whatever bile unions will spout - try asking some workers who are working there for a few years. You'll get a different answer!

The 2nd entrance may have been open since November but this was in breach of their contract with the owners. The owners had to go to court to try and get Dunnes to comply with their contract, and at that point Dunnes threw the toys out of the buggy and closed the doors. Who is the bully?

Quite a few staff in Gorey did walk out during the strikes recently. They are on 15-hour contracts which as they pointed out at the time didn't provide them with any security and wouldn't be acceptable to any bank when trying to get a mortgage etc. When Dunnes closed the doors and everyone was back to working their rostered hours only, the point that these guys were trying to make was proven to be true. When the store was open they might have got 20 - 40 hours paid work; then they were back to 15 and able to be let go cheaply (60 hours pay off).

I'm no union man, but I think Dunnes are abusing their staff here. They're playing a game with the owner / receiver to try and raise their bargaining power in Gorey, and their own staff are suffering along with the smaller tenants in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

What was all the hype over letting customers out side door to car park all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

danjo-xx wrote: »
    What was all the hype over letting customers out side door to car park all about

The point of an anchor store is to attract customers to the centre, thereby creating footfall for other shops. Having an entrance to skip the other tenants defeats the point of the anchor store. I hate Dunnes, would never shop there on principle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement