Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching - Advice Needed

Options
  • 25-03-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All,

I have been going back and forth about becoming a Primary School Teacher for years. I came very close to applying a couple of years ago but my circumstances changed so I decided to hold off.

I am thinking about it again now recently and considering applying for the September 2015 intake with Hibernia. I am looking for genuine feedback from those who have completed or are currently doing the course as it is such a big (and expensive) decision.

I have a few questions:

I have looked at the course structure online but it is very general. Is it broken up into different semesters? Do you get breaks?

How did you find the online lectures/tutorial in terms of being able to follow and learn from it? I have never experience this type of learning before so I would be worried I would find it hard.

I finished my undergraduate course in 2012 and have been working full time ever since. I don’t like my job but I was recently made permanent so I am worried would I be foolish to give up a permanent role when there is absolutely no guarantee of getting a job after I finish the course. I have no connections to schools which would help me.

I feel like I will always regret it if I don’t go for it but I am very nervous and worried about the whole thing so any bit of advice from anyone who has been in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭raglan

Hi,

I did the Hibernia course in 2009/2010. I had been thinking about primary teaching on/off for a few years before it. Course then had some breaks but also they would be covering eg. PE module during school hols etc. Online tutorials were great, then you are onsite about every 2nd/3rd weekend with assignments in between. I think the length of it , is now longer than when i did it. I am not currently working as a teacher, got stints of subbing out of it, applied for jobs never to hear back from some, went for a couple of interviews for maternity leaves and NEVER heard back from them, now I thought this was downright rude coming from a setup where they are meant to teach kids how to respect people. A lot of the time, and I've seen it, it is who you know that helps you to get the job. In some instances it isn't of course but nepotism is rife. I am glad I've done it....but think it is incredibly hard to get a job in it the last few years...but you can build days up subbing to get on a panel....then of course you have to do the H.Dip after you qualify. Hope this helps....all I am saying I'd think hard before leaving a permanent job for it.....although I know some of the people on my course that weren't working in schools and had permanent jobs in other sectors were able to work and do the course using annual leave and maybe having an understanding boss.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd really think hard on this. Can you afford to be doing part time subbing, the odd day here and there for a few years?That is the reality for many and not going to get better any time soon.

Advertisement