Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Widescreen tv

• 31-01-2005 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the proper home for this (mods. please move as appropriate), but here goes.....

I want to buy a widescreen tv soon (28 or possibly 32-inch). I'm looking for any advice you have out there. I watch mainly BBC (satellite), so I think most broadcasts will suit me.
    Can anyone recommend a particular model, ones to avoid etc?
    Tesco (!) is selling a Philips 28" for €380- has anyone purchased this model?

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

how much do yo want to spend, is always a good question to ask.
    there are some offers from Sony direct for a 32" widescreen WEGA TV with stand and free DVD Player for 900 Euros.
    can highly recommend this one.
    also Beko, are quite good in the lower price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

Good point. :rolleyes:

Would consider spending up to €800 or so, but she-who-rules will have final say....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You can get the same TV that Gilgamesh mentioned for less than €800 in Harvey Norman, but without the DVD. Very good TV. Sony Wega, 32", 100Hz, love it to bits :)

Thanks for the replies. Where is Harvey Norman based? Swords? I can't find an Irish website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

DMC wrote:
    You can get the same TV that Gilgamesh mentioned for less than €800 in Harvey Norman, but without the DVD. Very good TV. Sony Wega, 32", 100Hz, love it to bits :)
    Is that flatscreen/ super flat?

• Advertisement

Macy wrote:
    Is that flatscreen/ super flat?

Super Duper Flat.

All Wega screens are completely flat at the front.

And heavy, hehe

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Super Duper Flat.

All Wega screens are completely flat at the front.

And heavy, hehe
    Excellent, as new sitting room has a patio doors and a large window facing south/west...

Macy wrote:
    Excellent, as new sitting room has a patio doors and a large window facing south/west...

sorry, but I didn't understand the relation, but okay. My Socks have 'reebok' written on them ;)

Gilgamesh wrote:
    sorry, but I didn't understand the relation, but okay. My Socks have 'reebok' written on them ;)
    Flatter the screen, the less the reflections (of gick white reebok socks), or so I've been told. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Macy wrote:
    Flatter the screen, the less the reflections (of gick white reebok socks), or so I've been told. :)

LOL :D:D

• Advertisement

Macy wrote:

the flatness of the screen ould only have any effect if the angle to the light source is correct.
    Sony have a so called Transflective surface, which means that they absorb a larger part of light which falls onto them.

btw. have BLACK reebok socks, hehe

Thanks for the replies. Where is Harvey Norman based? Swords? I can't find an Irish website.
    Swords and Dundalk, yes. From the airport, its the right turn at the lights after the Texaco garage. Airside Retail Park. No website, just annoying radio ads....

Gilgamesh wrote:
    the flatness of the screen ould only have any effect if the angle to the light source is correct.
    Sony have a so called Transflective surface, which means that they absorb a larger part of light which falls onto them.
    I don't claim to be an expert on anything bar (penny's) socks, but it seemed to make some sense to me. Bottom line is, will that Wega thing cut down on the reflections?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

This is probably a stupid question, but I have a widescreen tv but don't have satellite or digital yet.

Does anyone know if NTL broadcasts the BBC etc in widescreen mode on their digital service?

Yes, Scottish. All channels that transmit in widescreen are shown in widescreen on NTL Digital

Marcy, let's forget the socks thing for a sec.
    to answer your question though, the glas panel on the WEGA screen will imporve the visibility of the picture.

Scottish, as far as I know you can set the NTL box to widescreen mode, I think BBC only shows movies in widescreen format.
    Sky one for example has all their series in wiedescreen. hope this helps

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Marcy, let's forget the socks thing for a sec.
    to answer your question though, the glas panel on the WEGA screen will imporve the visibility of the picture.
    Cheers, thats all I really wanted to know :)

Macy wrote:
    Cheers :)

my pleasure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Now back to those socks.........

dee mm wrote:
    Now back to those socks.........

do you want them? hehe
    maybe I should put a FS post up for them.
    purchased three pairs in town for 6 Euro.
    due to me wearing them the value has increased (cost for washing and rolling them up etc.) will sell for 150 Euro, ROFL

• Advertisement

Is Harvey Norman exclusively electrical items, or a department store? (Is there a decent selection worth going to see? I live an hour away.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

The BBC shows a lot of stuff in widescreen. Much of its home produced stuff is widescreen now.

Is Harvey Norman exclusively electrical items, or a department store? (Is there a decent selection worth going to see? I live an hour away.)

Its a furniture/electrical/computer superstore. Also beside it are B&Q, DID, Atlantic Homecare and a few other big stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I have a 28 inch 100Hz Phillips matchline - great picture. My father-in-law has a 32 inch Phillips Pixel Plus 2 CRT - I've seen a few reviews that claim this is the best CRT available.

Harvey Normans have a great selection of TVs including lots of LCDs and plasmas. They have this http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5061 my dream TV!

Advertisement