Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching in Ruwais

• 27-05-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I just got an offer for a music teacher position in Ruwais which starts in August.There isn't really much about the town/city online so I was wondering if anyone had any information about the social life ,the schools and if their are many Irish people teaching over there...I'm 22 years old, from Ireland and I have never been abroad on my own before so I'm a bit nervous .I had Dubai and Abu Dhabi down on my application but unfortunately didn't get offered them.I have until tomorrow evening to sign the contract so any information would be much appreciated.Thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 scubie steve

Hi there I'm just finishing up my first year in Ruwais !! The kg and junior school are predominantly Irish roughly 40 though most are leaving but will be replaced by more Irish !! Social life is good plenty of trips up to Abu Dhabi and Dubai and we make the best of life in the desert sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shell18244

Hi i just got offered a job in Ruwais too with Sabis .... Is there ANYTHING to do ?

There is a good bit to do a few gyms with pools,cinema in the mall,we're in the process of setting up a GAA club,everyone is kept going!!!!

Are women few to go to the gyms though? Is it very very strict in their culture? Obviously Im gonna respect their islamic laws and all that but i don't wanna have to wear cover from head to toe.

Who are you working with ? Im serious about accommodation..

I work for sabis!!! there is a womens only gym and the girls wear the exact gym gear that they do at home,day to day its not too strict,shoulders and knees have to be covered at work but thats about it!

• Advertisement

Deadly! Thanks :) whats the place like that they put you up in?

Im hoping to save while I'm over there, is the cost of living high?

Also. Do you know anyone that went home for their graduation? Sorry about all the questions haha .. i have 48 hours to decide my future

The girls are put up in their own apartment in one apartment block that men arent allowed into! cost of living isnt too bad but there is always something to do so saving is kind of linked to that.Nobody went home for any graduation !!!! You're grand! I dont regret coming here it was a shock at first but definitely worth it

would you not even be allowed to go up the girls for a cup of tea? Are there any beaches you can go to?

I hear horror stories about what sabis are like to work for, is it really that bad? Ill be teaching primary school maths

There are 2 beaches one which is free and one in the resort hotel which is really nice but not free!! We cant go into the building but weve had tea/pot lucks in the gazebo outside plenty of times !its really a minor thing once you get used to it!

I just realised that ye probably don't drink much tea in 40 degree heat! lol Is there any chance you could ask one of your fellow teachers (female) if its ok to contact them? I wanna figure out what the suss is with clothes and that.

Contracts signed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sineadg91

shell18244 wrote: »
    I just realised that ye probably don't drink much tea in 40 degree heat! lol Is there any chance you could ask one of your fellow teachers (female) if its ok to contact them? I wanna figure out what the suss is with clothes and that.

Contracts signed :)

Hey! Im out in ruwais teaching maths now in the Junior School!
    Its so handy they give u all the lesson plans and its very basic maths!
    Clothes are grand! Not as strict as you would think its basically what you would wear to work in a school at home, very casual! Just tops covering your sholders and no 3/4 lenght pants! Any questions ask away!

Hey Sinead!

Thanks for that! is it right that you have to have like baggy trousers? Do your sleeves need to come down to like your elbows?

Besides work, would you dress similarly on your days off? Whats the ladies accommodation like, is it far from the school?

Hey Sinead!

Thanks for that! is it right that you have to have like baggy trousers? Do your sleeves need to come down to like your elbows?

Besides work, would you dress similarly on your days off? Whats the ladies accommodation like, is it far from the school?

Well they say loose trousers but we wear black jeans and we never get told not to. Other than those other pants would be loose enough. Sleeves just need to go about half way down from your shoulder to elbow!

Ya you would wear similar clothes on days off but like jeans and tracksuit pants then just normal t shirts!

Accom is really nice, each have our own apartment its really big and modern! Its about 25 min walk to the school but we never walk! The school bus collects us every morning and brings you back after school and for lunch if you want!

Great thanks a mil for all the info! Im starting to get excited...

Is there anything either of you wish you knew before ya went over there?

Sorry another (and last) random question, roughly how much money do you think you need for the first month going out there?

Someone told me about 500 euro should be grand, doesn't seem like much though

Sorry another (and last) random question, roughly how much money do you think you need for the first month going out there?

Someone told me about 500 euro should be grand, doesn't seem like much though

I cant really think of anything major, they give you a towel and bedsheets so no need to bring them. Shampoos and that are all the same over here to no need to way your bag down with thoses either!!

We didnt get paid for 6 weeks when we got there so I would recommend to bring as much as you can! we lasted on near 500 but we didn't head up to Abu Dhabi City or anything so it was tough ha!!

Advertisement