Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plasterboard Setting Tool

• 15-12-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Do any of you know where in the Dublin area I could pick up one of these Plasterboard Setting Tools?

I've checked online on Woodies\Homebase etc but they don't seem to have them and I'd like to get my hands on one over the next couple of days so I can hang a mirror so ordering from Amazon at this time of year is probably a bad idea.

They look seriously handy and could be an end to my problems with trying to hang stuff on plasterboard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Either Lidl or Aldi had them recently complete with various sized anchors.
    Not sure which one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Pal of mine got one in Cork Builders , Togher a few weeks back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

They can be got in b&q there not that expensive either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

If you drill the correct size hole, you wont need it.

Its a handy piece of kit though. Aldi with the Anchor set as previously mentioned from time to time for 12€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanks everyone, I'll check in Aldi. I remember seeing plasterboard accessories there recently so hopefully they have some left.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    If you drill the correct size hole, you wont need it.

Its a handy piece of kit though. Aldi with the Anchor set as previously mentioned from time to time for 12€.

So you reckon the hole I've been making in the plasterboard has been too big?

My experience with the plasterboard anchors has been pretty hit and miss to date and I'd almost given up on trying to hang anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

nc6000 wrote: »
    So you reckon the hole I've been making in the plasterboard has been too big?

My experience with the plasterboard anchors has been pretty hit and miss to date and I'd almost given up on trying to hang anything.

Used these fixings a lot in Australia - the problem with just drilling a hole is that when you use a screwdriver (or in my case, cordless drill with screwdriver bit) to set the fixing in the plasterboard, unless you are pretty careful, the outer flange with the teeth in it spins, and the teeth tear a path in the plasterboard, and you can then never get the fixing as tight as you want it. Using the tool in the video above removes that issue - just pull the trigger until you can't pull it anymore. Definitely worth picking up the tool if you plan on using more than a few of these fixings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I cannot see a problem with the old fixings - when applied properly. I mean, how many well built houses have you seen with the rads hanging sideways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Got mine in Homebase, bloody best DIY purchase I ever made.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

I cannot see a problem with the old fixings - when applied properly. I mean, how many well built houses have you seen with the rads hanging sideways?

The house in Cork.ROFL

www .youtube.com/watch?v=auEdi9e4UVo

• Advertisement

I managed to pick up one of these the other day, it's a great tool. I'll be busy now for the next few weeks hanging stuff up. New towel rails, mirrors, floating shelves etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They're a godsend, all the years of frustration in hanging on plasterboard solved in minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Never heard of this before, absolutely a godsend, will be picking on up myself, thanks OP
    A quick google - these are called "plasterboard setting tools" , plenty of them on amazon.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Keep a close eye on aldi folks as the complete set pops up now and again. Normally in 2 variants:

A set of various sized fixings (a shedload) along with the setting tool €11.99
    A set of just the fixings - €8.99

Just a small point to watch....I've gone through 2 of the setting tools as there is a weakness with one of the axis pins. Not a difficult repair though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The Aldi sets are incredible value when you consider the cost of buying the fixings individually, howwever, I've noticed my setting tool slipping/not extending the fixing last week.
    Was this the same problem you had, dodzy?

red sean wrote: »
    The Aldi sets are incredible value when you consider the cost of buying the fixings individually, howwever, I've noticed my setting tool slipping/not extending the fixing last week.

I'll post a snap of the culprit tomorrow. In relation to slipping, just ensure that before you insert the fixing into the plasterboard, the bolt is threaded minimally thus ensuring a good extension for tool insertion*

*sounds weird, I know.

red sean wrote: »

The pic below shows the bar (A) which bends under pressure from part (B). Unavoidable unfortunately. It is caused by the initial trigerring of the fixing. This is where the tool is under most pressure. Once the expansion of the fixing starts, its plain sailing but you will feel this while using the tool and will understand what I mean. If this is your problem, simply remove the circlip at the end of bar A, slide it out, straighten, and re-insert. I'm sure you could purchase a better quality tool but for the price, just buy a few sets and stock up.

332843.JPG

Here is a pic of the sets from Aldi.

332840.JPG

332841.JPG

So now that I have the tool and have hung up a few small things I'm wondering what sort of weight can be safely hung on the walls. The fixings box says 25kg but I'm finding that a bit hard to believe.

nc6000 wrote: »
    So now that I have the tool and have hung up a few small things I'm wondering what sort of weight can be safely hung on the walls. The fixings box says 25kg but I'm finding that a bit hard to believe.

As with all wall fixtures, it all depends on how far the fixture protrudes out. I've hung flats tvs on these fittings with no issues. That said, none were on extendable arms. Just remember, although they are IMO. The best PB. Fittings out there, you are still talking about a board made of chalk.

Advertisement