Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi Grant scheme

Options
  • 02-12-2014 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have recently applied for my college grant through the Grant scheme SUSI. I was deemed eligible and recieved a special rate of 2,375 euro per annum due to my circumstances althought It stated I was to recieve a high rate of 5,000 . I live 38 kilometres away from my college and since I do not live 45 kilometres I am not eligible for this particular payment.
    I find it unbelivable that if i lived the extra 7km away that they would offer a further 2,625 euro.... What is your thoughts on this? I find the difference extradoniary!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Yes there is quite a difference in payments. My daughter got the full grant. But in saying that half of it went to pay for her accomadation and also she comes home every weekend which costs her 30e return. so there is not much left at the end of the month. Are you living at home or in accomadation and do you have any travel expences. Its just bad luck that you live as far as the grant goes that you live where you do but I suppose they have the rules laid down

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I know what you mean - I'm also ~35km from college and it's difficult enough to get into college (Public Transport is expensive and extremely time consuming, of the approx €135 I should receive per month [parenthesis- should receive as I am still awaiting final assessment] €108 goes on my rail/bus ticket, and it takes me about an hour and a half door-to-door one way - so 3 hours per day).

That said, I understand the need to pick an arbitrary cut off point and draw a line in the sand somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

I have recently applied for my college grant through the Grant scheme SUSI. I was deemed eligible and recieved a special rate of 2,375 euro per annum due to my circumstances althought It stated I was to recieve a high rate of 5,000 . I live 38 kilometres away from my college and since I do not live 45 kilometres I am not eligible for this particular payment.
    I find it unbelivable that if i lived the extra 7km away that they would offer a further 2,625 euro.... What is your thoughts on this? I find the difference extradoniary!

I think the 45km cut-off maybe set because of the distance of colleges/institutions within the Dublin region.
    It would be ridiculous if someone living in Dublin, 30 kms from their college was getting a grant the same as someone from Cork attending a college in Limerick.

Advertisement