Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sanding / Staining / Varnishing floors

• 06-05-2014 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I have a pub and need to get the floors sanded. I got them sanded and varnished about a year ago but they're wrecked again. I'm wondering what varnish / lacquer to use as it will need to be very hard wearing. There is regularly drinks spilled / broken glass / high heels damaging them so it will need to last.

I can get access to professional floor sanders etc but just need advise on what products to use for varnish etc. The last guy who did it recommended some water based varnish but it barely lasted a few weeks on the floor even with 5 or 6 coats

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

For high traffic areas you need to use two pack floor varnish either polyurethane or cellulose based.They come with a hardener that you mix in just before use as it has a short "working time".
    Be warned that its no fun to use as it stinks and gives off alot of fumes.You need to get a good breeze or draft running trough the area to help vent the fumes.
    Plus side is it dries quickly and you should be able to get 3 coats on in a day.Not ideal now as its past but good friday was always great for doing pub floors.

I've used Sadolin PV67 Heavy Duty Varnish and found it to be very good.

Water-based is fine to use in homes but i would never use on a pub floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I'll look into that Sadolin varnish. It really needs to last. I spent a fortune getting them done last year and it didn't last at all. Now I'm gonna try to do a DIY job on it and hope the outcome is better

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stuartkweston

Before sanding any surface be sure to check whether that surface material is Asbestos free or not. Asbestos is known to cause many health related problem even cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

http://www.duluxtrade.ie/products/info/dulux_trade_diamond_glaze.jsp

Its water based but info I have read on it is that its extremely hard wearing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Before sanding any surface be sure to check whether that surface material is Asbestos free or not. Asbestos is known to cause many health related problem even cancer.

Hi how would one check if VOC's such as asbestos are in old flooring surfaces?

• Advertisement
Advertisement