Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GU PVC door lock

• 17-12-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have lock on the front pvc door. This morning it wouldn't open from the inside. Went around the back and it opened from the front. Turns out if the rollers are engaged it can only be opened from outside. Inside handle won't move all the way down. Inside handle can still open the door as long as the rollers aren't engaged. Anyone any ideas what the problem is? If it's easily fixed by a layman :) or would I be advised to get a locksmith and if so how much ballpark.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Any pics ??? of the unit .

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Cheers for the quick reply.
    I've added a couple of pics which hopefully might explain it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Cheers for the quick reply.
    I've added a couple of pics which hopefully might explain it better.

Right, just to confirm:

You go to bed at night. You lift the inside handle up to engage full locking, then turn the key. Next morning, you turn key but handle inside will not disengage the full locking. But you can disengage full lock from outside. Once this is done, the inner handle will open normally, as long as full locking is not re-engaged?

Have I got it right?

Yes, that's exactly it.
    Not very urgent but would like to get it sorted. Only an issue at night time, but the alarm keeps me covered there. Hoping to get an idea of the problem so I can decide whether is doable by me or not. I'm reluctant to start dismantling it as I could be left worse off i make a bal*s of it which is likely :)
    Thanks for the reply

Cool. Right, it's easy enough and most likely a problem with the sash lock mechanism. I'm gonna pm you my number and I'll talk you through it. If you're anyway handy. Cheap enough fix too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

That seems like a serious flaw in a locking mechanism. Imagine if there were a fire in the house and this was your only way out.
    I would consider changing the lock altogether. Not worth the risk imho.

dodzy wrote: »
    Cool. Right, it's easy enough and most likely a problem with the sash lock mechanism. I'm gonna pm you my number and I'll talk you through it. If you're anyway handy. Cheap enough fix too.

That's great thanks. I'll give you a shout tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Cheers for the help dodzy. See Pm

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

My back door has just developed a problem where neither the internal or external handle will engage full locking, meaning the key won't turn

Locking system is a roller sash system exactly as OP.

Is this an easy fix?

The_Chap wrote: »
    My back door has just developed a problem where neither the internal or external handle will engage full locking, meaning the key won't turn

Locking system is a roller sash system exactly as OP.

Is this an easy fix?

Yep, relatively easy to repair.

Just a question. Can you engage full locking ( handle up and key turn ) when the door is open ?

• Advertisement

Yep, relatively easy to repair.

Just a question. Can you engage full locking ( handle up and key turn ) when the door is open ?

Sorry for delay, had to get the entire lock replaced, it had collapsed inside. Couldn't engage full lock with door open or closed

The_Chap wrote: »
    Sorry for delay, had to get the entire lock replaced, it had collapsed inside. Couldn't engage full lock with door open or closed
    How much, all in, out of interest?

How much, all in, out of interest?

Paid 80 yoyos, but only the lock/receiver and multilock bar was replaced, key barrel retained

Advertisement