Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lower back stiffness

Options
  • 12-12-2014 10:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hurt my lower back in a small car accident in 2001. Since then I've managed with it as it doesn't cause me constant pain, it is just usually stiff and uncomfortable in certain positions. I have had physio on it in the past, but of course, due to lack of money, I've not been able to afford to do much about it.

In the past few weeks I have been so uncomfortable. The stiffness is really bad, and I don't think I'm imagining it, but the cold is making it worse! I exercise regularly (cardio as well as core strength work) and stretch etc, which helps illiviate it a bit, but the worst is when I get up after sitting down...even if it is just a few minutes, I am so stiff and can't straigten up properly for a few minutes, and then it fees a bit better. I find it hard to bend over properly. As I said, its not constant pain, but the constant stiffness is what makes it sore. I haven't been to a doctor yet, as I'm not sure what he can do. Is there any sort of medication that I can take, or is he just going to refer me to a physio again?
    I'm only 38, so not an auld woman, but I feel like one at the moment!:o

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

First stop the gp, I think. Do you know what damage was done? Did you ever have it scanned?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

First stop the gp, I think. Do you know what damage was done? Did you ever have it scanned?

I had an xray when I had my accident in 2001, and nothing showed up. I was told it was more or less tissue damage, but I don't know to be honest! I have been thinking lately that I probably should have had an MRI or something similar done. I don't know if there is much point now, but I guess its something I could request my gp to refer me for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

change your shoes and your seating,your exercise can be causing damage

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercises

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

braddun wrote: »
    change your shoes and your seating,your exercise can be causing damage

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercises

not sure I'd need to change shoes, I don't tend to wear heels unless on a night out! No choice with the seating as I can't afford to get a new couch and I don't tend to have to sit for long in work, so not stuck at a desk.

The exercises on that link are pretty much a lot of what I do as well as cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

I know from my own experience that exercise, which I was doing thinking it would strengthen my back and make me fitter, made it MUCH worse over time - constantly causing inflammation.

I had to take pain killers/anti-inflammatories from GP for a while to get me through really rough parts but they made me feel horrible so came off them as soon as I could. I take over the counter painkillers if needed now.

For me stopping the exercise and playing around with my diet to reduce inflammation made a huge difference but it took a long time to get a good balance. I stay active by doing easy stretching exercises, walking or cycling but if I'm feeling the pain creeping up again I stop for as long as needed. I never want to get back to that much pain again. I'm the best I've been in 3 years now and it's great as there were many days when not only the pain was unbearable but the thought of living with it forever was very difficult to imagine.

It sounds to me like you might be at the stage I was at when I thought that more exercise/training was the best way to go. I'd definitely ask for an MRI as knowing what you are dealing with really helps to treat it properly.

• Advertisement

ingalway wrote: »
    I know from my own experience that exercise, which I was doing thinking it would strengthen my back and make me fitter, made it MUCH worse over time - constantly causing inflammation.

I had to take pain killers/anti-inflammatories from GP for a while to get me through really rough parts but they made me feel horrible so came off them as soon as I could. I take over the counter painkillers if needed now.

For me stopping the exercise and playing around with my diet to reduce inflammation made a huge difference but it took a long time to get a good balance. I stay active by doing easy stretching exercises, walking or cycling but if I'm feeling the pain creeping up again I stop for as long as needed. I never want to get back to that much pain again. I'm the best I've been in 3 years now and it's great as there were many days when not only the pain was unbearable but the thought of living with it forever was very difficult to imagine.

It sounds to me like you might be at the stage I was at when I thought that more exercise/training was the best way to go. I'd definitely ask for an MRI as knowing what you are dealing with really helps to treat it properly.

thanks for your reply.
    Its interesting that when we think we are doing something that should help strengthen the back, seems to just aggravate it more! My husband did say that maybe it isn't helping like it should. My fitness instructor is good though, she always has an alternative exercise to do for me as she knows I have problems with my back. I think I'll have another chat with her though and see if I should give it a break or can we do something else.

I have 2 weeks off from it after next week for Christmas. I will arrange to see my GP once Christmas is over and ask can I get an MRI done. It might be worth seeing if things have got worse over the past 13 years. I think my health insurance covers an MRI, so it shouldn't cost me anything extra!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Definitely go to your GP and if you have no joy, ask to be referred further.

And ask for a referral to a physio rather than fitness instructor. They are coming at things from the medical angle so may be able to help more.

Advertisement