Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to source new music?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking for new music. Have tried going to each genre on Beatport and listening to the charts but I found 1 tune I liked on it.

So, while that's a handy way of checking, it's not much use if there's not much on it that I like.

Are there any other websites where I can quickly skim through tunes to find what I like? Ideally, older stuff as well as new stuff. I'm into minimal, electro, some techno, some progressive

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

I find Junodownload to be better than Beatport when it comes to the "you might also like" recommendations. The DJ charts on those sites are just for the DJs to pimp their own tunes and their friends' tunes, no matter how bad they are. Otherwise keep an eye on websites for podcasts/mixes from DJs you like and Google will usually find you a tracklist. Off the top of my head, Resident Advisor, CLR and Little White Earbuds are good for podcasts and mixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

For me :

Whatpeopleplay.com

Juno.co.uk

zero-inch.com

Bleep.com

are more up my alley than any poxy beatport.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I listen to grooveshark most days. Pretty good spot to find new music and listen to other stuff you like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Boomkat.com is a great place for guiding you through similar artists to the one you're currently listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Find a good radio show that plays the kind of stuff you like and listen to it a lot. A lot of stuff makes my list from listening to the likes of Whistla, Youngsta and dBridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Dedication is probably the biggest way to find the music you like.

Like the above posters said find a few sources be they radio stations, blogs, download sites or online record shops and just listen to stuff every day. I found sites like junodownload and beatport pretty soul destroying because of the sheer volume of (mostly sh1te) stuff to listen to every day. I prefer to buy vinyl anyway so its a more meticulous process when you consider the price of records and the delivery costs - it definitely focuses your buying habits!

Once you get into a pattern of shearching for music you will start to recognise labels and artists that you will go back to time and again - I also found that by using discogs.com to catalogue my music it was much easier to source new music because of the way it's all linked together - my want list is now unrealistically long!

I saw an interview with ivan smagghe about 6 months ago and he said people always asked him where he found all the records they had missed and he basically said it was because he put in the work of listening to everything and they were lazy ba3tards!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

www.hardwax.com is good for listening to clips of various tracks in the genres that are of interest to you - then off to youtube to listen in full or discogs to look up more info on the artist or tracks of interest.

Also sign up to boomkat, bleep and phonica records newsletters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 UnklePhil

I tend to go to artists I like on SoundCloud, then look at who they follow and work my way through the music from there.

Advertisement