Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worth fixing laptop

• 28-03-2015 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi there

My laptop is about 5 years old. It is a Dell Inspiron. It has never given me any trouble until now as it is gone very slow and takes ages to start up and sometimes the page may freeze on it on and I will have to phyiscally take out the battery for it to start again.

I am just wondering is it worth trying to repair a laptop this old? Would I be better off getting a new one?

If anyone who lives in Cork area could recommend a good repair shop/person I would appreciate that as well?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

moon55 wrote: »
    Hi there

My laptop is about 5 years old. It is a Dell Inspiron. It has never given me any trouble until now as it is gone very slow and takes ages to start up and sometimes the page may freeze on it on and I will have to phyiscally take out the battery for it to start again.

I am just wondering is it worth trying to repair a laptop this old? Would I be better off getting a new one?

If anyone who lives in Cork area could recommend a good repair shop/person I would appreciate that as well?

Thank you

If you have all your important data backed up you could just wipe and resintall the OS or do a factory reset. You'd be amazed how it can bring new life back to a slowing machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Depends on the issue however your first step is performing a factory reset/reinstall operating system like has already been suggested.

Most of those laptop repair shops are chancers, where they watch the relevant YouTube tutorial which is the sum total of their experience.

If it's a motherboard issue even a repair may only get you 60 days. There is a small shop near daunt square and they seem pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Install this instead if its only for internet use.

It will fly ;-)

https://www.linuxliteos.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

You could reinstall windows like the advice given already and do a factory reset. But you could also see if can put more memory into it .it's easy to do and would save you money on a new one .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

give it a good going over with a hoover while powered off to get rid of dust especially near the slots and fans. a sock over the hoover if you have loose keys

there's aps that show you temperature of cpu / motherboard , does the laptop work better when cold

old laptop so backup , backup , backup

if it's only recently gone slow then check for malware

it could also be a HDD on the way out, use HDTUNE or similar to check the drive

if you want to spend money AFTER you sort out the slowness, you can get an SSD for around €100 these days

• Advertisement
Advertisement