Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with buying

• 06-04-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi all, I know there have been loads of recommendation threads but I'm totally clueless so any help would be really appreciated.

I currently have a lenovo which is dying a painful death. I'll be starting a business degree in tcd in September and would like to get something which will do me for home and college for the next 4 years. I won't be doing any gaming but I do a lot of streaming movies on my laptop so would like a 15 inch or close enough.

i have about €1500 but would like to stay under €1000 as long as I can get a good quality machine.

I've been looking at a Macbook but have heard from students in other colleges that their campuses are all windows and that this can cause issues with trying to get college work done, does anyone have any experience with this?

Sorry for the long post, I'm fairly clueless so don't want to miss anything important.

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A Mac would work fine, however getting one with a 15" screen will see you paying 2000+ for the pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

A Mac would work fine, however getting one with a 15" screen will see you paying 2000+ for the pleasure.

I've been looking at the 13 inch MacBook air, I think I would be ok with the size but it would be the minimum screen size I could handle. Just looking at the pricing though would I be better off with a really good windows laptop rather than settling for the air? There doesn't seem to be a very strong front runner in terms of windows at the moment that I can see brand wise so I don't really know where to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

There are new ones out there just recently released have a look at this one I am eyeing on that XPS 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpJc_KZl0C4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

13" MBP Retina is the best portable purely because of its unmatched trackpad & serious battery life.
    Can get a student discount too.
    Air is lighter but has worse screen.
    New MacBook 12" looks crap.

The only laptop range in its class are the Lenovo ThinkPads.

Just get either with a 256Gb SSD and you're sorted for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would also be of the opinion that if you buy the Mac Pro 13" you should end up with hardware that should last you 4 years + of normal use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement