Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House renovation & Extension costs

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a rough guide on pricing for works i'm looking to have done on my end of terrace home which is a small 3 bedroom house. Bath room is down stairs. total area down stairs is 720 sqft with extension or 270 for extension only.

Any tips or advice would be great as we don't want to get ripped off etc.

We are looking to do the following:
    Build extension 15 x 18ft
    Rewire
    Re-plumb
    Insulate with plasterboards
    New Bathroom with shower and bath etc
    New Kitchen
    Stove.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

I find it impossible to get a ball-park figure for small kitchen extension. I don't want to employ an architect until I see if we can afford the extension. One interior designer (a friend) said casually: "You're probably looking at 50K". This seems an awful lot, but maybe I'm not being realistic

We want to go out ten feet, and the extension would be six feet wide. We would have to go through an outside wall, but there is already a standard back door in the space we want to break through, so I'm not sure if that means we need an RSJ or not

We would like large glass doors on one side of the extension and some roof lights

Has anyone here a ball-park figure at today's prices, including standard finish and electrics.?

Also, I was looking at Shomera extensions (they do extensions as well as garden rooms). Does anyone know other companies besides Shomera who do the same thing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Currently doing a 4.2m x 5.6m single storey extension.
    Apex roof.
    2 large velux with internal White frames.
    Demolition of small nib circa 3mx3m.
    Builders finish ready for tiling and painting.
    Erection of 3 steel beams circa 4.5m in length.

Builders cost is 18.5k and he is leaving ope for 4.75m wide lift and slide glazed door and triangular glazed screen above it on the rear wall of extension. That's 6.7k from another supplier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kceire wrote: »
    Apex roof.

Builders cost is 18.5k and he is leaving ope for 4.75m wide lift and slide glazed door and triangular glazed screen above it on the rear wall of extension. That's 6.7k from another supplier.
    Keire, tell us what wall, floor & roof spec you're going with?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Apex roof.

How much in total do you think your project will cost ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BryanF wrote: »

...said the spider to the fly...:P

• Advertisement

Built to current building regulations :p
    How much in total do you think your project will cost ?

18.5k builder (worth pointing out that the builder is a friend, so got mates rates, nearest quote near him was 23.5k)
    6.7k Fairco glazing
    7.5k kitchen
    Tiling and wall paper in places and they have got a new fridge, Falcon cooker, washing machine etc

I don't expect much change from 40k turn key.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

we have same dimension of building going on at the moment and its approx 38000 excluding vat and no kitchen in that price, we have two velux window . kitchen is costing approx 11000 including slabs and appliance from kube. i hope this help

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Anyone have the brake down in costs on rewiring and re plumbing a house ? Just trying to get near a enough to the right figure ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Built to current building regulations
    ah go on?

ah go on?

I'll check the drawing tomorrow.
    I do know there's 100mm insulation under the slab, 25mm perimeter insulation. Cavity block construction with 100mm insulated plasterboard inside.

New boiler going in, so higher efficiency as original is there since the house was constructed in 1996. That included mains wired carbon monoxide detection too.

Glazing is double glazed, argon filled, heat keeping, cold reflecting, A rated glass and the frames are thermally effective or some sort of jumbo jumbo like that :)

Will check the roof details tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement