Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overheating laptop

Options
  • 10-10-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey guys i am trying to repair my girlfriends laptop. it is overheating. It is a hp g60 214em running vista. I have already taken it apart cleaned the fan and heatsink assembly and replaced the thermal paste but it still is running at a cpu temp of 90 degrees c up to 110 degrees c and shutting down
    I cant think of anything else to do. Any suggestions. cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Does TaskManager report 100% CPU usage? What's using it? |Is there more than 1 AV solution running?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Those G6's are awfully designed for heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brutus99

task manager says varying cpu usage depending of course on what i am using. after i put it back together i left it running a virus scan a malware scan cleaner and i played a movie on vlc player to get the cpu hot to test the paste had worked i also had speccy running to see the tempeture and it ran fine (85 -95 degrees) for two hours. then i shut down. a couple of hours later she was using it to skype and it overheated and shut down again.
    Is there a better cooling solution
    and yes they are awfully designed for heat

an external fan would probably be your best bet.

I have one for all my computers, keeps the laptop cool and your knees cold.

does she have it on a cushion or something? shouldn't be overheating to the point of shut down on normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brutus99

sounds good rossieman where would i pick up such a fan and how much are they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

you might find one in a €2 shop or Dealz, failing that Maplin, PC World or online. Run it on a table, or if on-the-lap is essential, on a tray/board/large hardback book. Here's an example: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Octopus-Shape-Light-Laptop-Notebook-USB-Cooling-Fans-Cooler-Pad-Black-/400709520633?pt=US_Fan_Heatsin_Brackets_Accs&hash=item5d4c260cf9

I bought mine a couple of years ago in argos.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9255399/Trail/searchtext%3ELAPTOP+COOLING.htm

This is the one i have, cant recommend it enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Try this

how to reduce Your notebook cpu speed (temps):(i) Power Options -> More power options,
    (ii) YOUR plan -> Change settings,
    (iii) Change advanced power settings
    (iv) Processor power management -> Maximum processor state -> On Battery - xx percent, Plugged in - xx percent.
    (vi) Save changes and close.

Advertisement