Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up data

Options
  • 06-10-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Fairly basic question but what's the best way to back up all the data (files, programs, drivers etc) on my laptop. Bought an external hard drive with 1TB so should have plenty of room. Know system image is an option but think it's only possible to re-install the whole system as opposed to just different files. Also believes it only downloads the basic drivers for running the os and nothing additional.

I'm looking to make a copy of absolutely everything on my pc. Don't have a huge amount of data my any means but getting my pc repaired and don't want the hassle of losing things/re-installing everything in case they need to wipe the system..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The easiest thing would be to use a dedicated backup program. I don't have much experience with them but they'll streamline the process for you. You should be able to set up a complete backup that updates the backup on a daily basis so you don't have to worry about it until something goes wrong. The only problem with that is that if your OS get's corrupted your backing up the corruption as well.

I like to keep my data and OS separate so you can backup and restore one without affecting the other. If I move OS all I have to do is point my new OS to my data drive and there's no need for backup or restore.

The other thing to remember is a local backup has some fundamental flaws in that if a fire broke out or there was water damage then your backup is probably going to be just as fecked as your PC. If you don't have much data that you want to save you could put it into a google drive folder and it's all automatically stored on googles cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

If its just a backup for when the PC is getting repaired then try Clonezilla. Its free and will make an exact copy of your entire drive (OS, data, settings, everything). If they wipe the drive you just need to copy the data back over. Its not the easiest to use but there are loads of videos on YouTube with instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

notmymark wrote: »
    If its just a backup for when the PC is getting repaired then try Clonezilla. Its free and will make an exact copy of your entire drive (OS, data, settings, everything). If they wipe the drive you just need to copy the data back over. Its not the easiest to use but there are loads of videos on YouTube with instructions.

Thanks for the reply. For Clonezilla can you restore files on at a time say? Or does it just allow you to restore the whole drive?

I'd like a copy of my whole pc just to be on the safe side but also want access to single files, programmes etc in case 1 or 2 are deleted by accident say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. For Clonezilla can you restore files on at a time say? Or does it just allow you to restore the whole drive?

I'd like a copy of my whole pc just to be on the safe side but also want access to single files, programmes etc in case 1 or 2 are deleted by accident say.

I find Easus free to be pretty good. CloneZilla will create a entire partition backup so you will not be able to access individual files unless you find a way to mount the backup image.
    with regards to software programmes, your best off creating a full hard disk image with the likes of clonezilla and then restoring it to ensure everything is working as it is. Easus is really just for backing up content like documents, music, photos etc. but it's one of the better free ones I've come across, plus can recover files individually :)

Nick

Advertisement