Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do all Homeplugs only have a 100mb port?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

srsly78 wrote: »
    I got an AUP letter from upc last year, when I asked on phone there was no unlimited product. We were averaging about 700GB per month (house with 4 lads on 30mbit connection).
    not any more, they had to bring out a 'proper' unlimited service because sky broadband brought out their own broadband with no limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They're Netgear XAVB5601 according to the box. I think they were about €120. I'm not using them any more, ended up swapping them for ones with WiFi built in. I was thinking of putting then up on adverts if you're interested.
    Ah, no. The one not plugged into the router has to have wireless (for laptops and phones), as the router box is behind a thick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Bumping this thread, I've got Vodafone fibre in, getting 95mb down. WiFi and 200mbps homeplug only get around 45mb download speed.

What options do I have to get full speed, WiFi won't, 200mbps homeplugs won't.

And with the 500mbps plugs bottlenecked I'm confused what to do?

Ethernet direct to the hub isn't viable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can get Gigabit 1000Mbps HERE:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Thanks but if the Vodafone hg658c only has 100mb ports it wouldn't do me much good or do I have it understood wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BArra wrote: »
    Thanks but if the Vodafone hg658c only has 100mb ports it wouldn't do me much good or do I have it understood wrong?

Yeah, if the router / switch is limited to 100Mbps, that's all you'll ever get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bumping this thread, I've got Vodafone fibre in, getting 95mb down. WiFi and 200mbps homeplug only get around 45mb download speed.

What options do I have to get full speed, WiFi won't, 200mbps homeplugs won't.

And with the 500mbps plugs bottlenecked I'm confused what to do?

Ethernet direct to the hub isn't viable

Ones that have AC passthrough will give you much better speeds if you are using the power sockets next to the powerline adapter.

what difference does ac passthrough give? it just means you dont lose a plug socket?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

what difference does ac passthrough give? it just means you dont lose a plug socket?

Yes, but it also filters anything plugged into it to reduce interference and increase speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As above you save a socket but it also limits the interface the device has to sort through, then tend to work better as most people drop their home plug into a power strip. If you don't, then its unlikely they will help.

If your getting 50Mbps with AV200 homeplugs then you should be able to reach 100Mbps with a pair of AV600. Just don't use the 200's with them.

• Advertisement

As above you save a socket but it also limits the interface the device has to sort through, then tend to work better as most people drop their home plug into a power strip. If you don't, then its unlikely they will help.

If your getting 50Mbps with AV200 homeplugs then you should be able to reach 100Mbps with a pair of AV600. Just don't use the 200's with them.

I never used my home plugs with a power strip, yet my AC passthrough home plugs gave me a big speed boost over the other ones I was using before. I was using the socket beside the home plug whereas now that is being plugged in to the home plug.

Advertisement