Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home plugs?

Options
  • 09-10-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Firblog

They're great for that; nephew has xbox, terrible lag on wireless, put in homeplugs, no crying since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Phoenix wrote: »
    Hey guys I have 25 mb internet but wireless speeds are terrible on ps4 and laptop I changed DNS which slightly improved them are homeplugs the way to go to improve speeds further?

Note : The DNS would've affected both wired and wireless connections.

If your wireless speeds are down, then check if your neighbours are running on the same Wireless channel ( 1 - 14 ).
    There's a great free Android app to see if your wifi channel is congested : Android Wi-Fi Analyzer App

But yes, homeplugs are the way to go.
    My UPC router has terrible wi-fi, so I use an old Linksys WRT-54G router instead. Even then, it's nowhere near good enough for video streaming.

I now use a homeplug set to stream video from my NAS box to my satelite box. ( Couldn't easily use a direct network cable from my router ).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not sure about a recommendation, I can just say what I have.
    Might be better value ones out there if you don't need "passthrough" sockets.

But I have four "ZyXEL PLA4215 AV 500" homeplugs all working together.
    They're a bit pricey.
    I wanted the "passthrough" sockets, so that you don't lose a power socket, you can plug other applicances into them.

When they're plugged in but not being used there's a high pitched noise from them, I can hear it but the missus can't.
    So I plug them out when not in use.

They were a little fiddly to set-up, having to press the buttons on them for exactly X number of seconds then the other one, to pair them together.
    But once set up, they're fine.

I stream high def video over them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Hi there. Just wondering. Does it matter about the way a house is wired etc. Or should the current pass through anyway. House built 6 yrs ago so modern enough. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi there. Just wondering. Does it matter about the way a house is wired etc. Or should the current pass through anyway. House built 6 yrs ago so modern enough. Thanks

Not really. Only real problem is if you have two RCDs(Two fuseboxes), common enough with granny flats and external converted sheds etc. Majority of regular houses they work perfectly.

Advertisement