Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vehicle parked outside house for 3 months Help!!

Options
  • 15-10-2007 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I've got a vehicle parked outside my house for nearly 3 months now. Not a whiff of tax or insurance on the damm thing. It seems someone comes along once in a while to start it up but it hasn't been moved once!

After 2 weeks I rang the coucil and they did the usual. They sent the owner a notice to remove the vehicle or they would tow it away. That dragged on until eventually I found out that the council could not remove the vehicle because my estate has not been handed over to the council (even though the builders have gone well over a year now). I have rang the boys in blue 4 times... yes 4 times to have the vehicle removed but its falling on deaf ears. They actually came down to it twice but its still here Any suggesstions??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Well, I'm sure you could figure out some way to get it onto council owned land...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you've been onto both the council and the Gardaí, then I don't really think there is much more you can do (legally). Just keep making the calls - hopefully someone will eventually take some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I had a similar issue in an apartment I lived in. The management co. got the council to remove it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If the estate hasn't been handed over to the council, there will be a management company. Contact them, it's their responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

If its not taxed it can be impounded. Call the Gardai again and ask for it to be towed to the pound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If the estate hasn't been handed over to the council, there will be a management company. Contact them, it's their responsibility.

Ahh never thought of that. Will do that first thing in the morning and report back if successful. Thanks guys

The guards looked at this car twice and are fully aware it is neither taxed nor insured. Its times like this I understand why people get frustrated with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had a similar problem some years ago.
    The boys in blue told me that were 'the veh-ickle' to be without number plates it would be taken away immediately.
    Mysteriously, it lost its plates and was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

spurious wrote: »
    The boys in blue told me that were 'the veh-ickle' to be without number plates it would be taken away immediately.

There you go .....Philips screwdriver in hand that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

spurious wrote: »
    Ditto..heard and saw the same myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I purchased a new apt bout 2 yrs ago and had the same problem. A car was abandoned outside for bout 8 months and it drove :) all the residents mad as parking was limited and it was taking up a space. The garda station was just across the road from it. Anyway for months before we actually moved in it was there and for months after and the council and guards couldnt move it. However after many angry residents rang the council, guards etc they said they could'nt take a car with number plates on it as it had an identifiable owner (even though it had no tax insuance etc and the owner couldnt be contacted) but however if the number plates were to "Fall off" and get lost then it would be considered rubbish and could be towed.
    Surprisingly after this news the number plates did fall off and blow away in the wind (none of my doing - I heard about it afterwards) and about a week or two later it was towed away !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Does the same numberplate trick work in underground car parks of apartment blocks? Management company have stuck a note on a car, saying they'll have it removed in 2 weeks, but that was about 3 months ago and it's still there! Car is a write off too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Quint wrote: »
    Does the same numberplate trick work in underground car parks of apartment blocks? Management company have stuck a note on a car, saying they'll have it removed in 2 weeks, but that was about 3 months ago and it's still there! Car is a write off too

Not sure.

You could always call the council/guards and tell them bout the car in the underground car park with "no" licence plates and see what they say.

Did the mgm company not send a letter to all the apts giving them a week or so to identify themselves as well as putting a note on the car itself ? If they havent at this stage I would go with the disappearing number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

cazzy wrote: »
    Not sure.

You could always call the council/guards and tell them bout the car in the underground car park with "no" licence plates and see what they say.

I would imagine the police would only be concerned about cars on public roads. An underground car park would be private property so wouldn't be of concern to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Doesn't matter if it's above ground or in an underground car park. If the offending vehicle has no registration plates it will be lifted by the council (doesn't matter if the estate has been handed over to the council or not).
    Don't bother with the Gardai they won't go near it, unless it's been reported stolen.

What I have done in the past is, call the gardai and check if the vehicle has been reported stolen, if not can they contact the registered owner.

If after a few days this hasn't gotten rid of the car pull off the plates and ring your local council. They are generraly very efficient 1-2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I heard of a guy who left a car in a private car-park over the Christmas of last year, no tax/insurance and had recently been used for rallying...
    The guards contacted him in relation to it and when he informed them that it had 'broken down' and was due to be collected, they offered to help move it out of the car-park if needs be!

Now, one can't get nicer than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Wonder if I removed the plates of me mates car would it get impounded mmm that would be a bizzare trick to play on him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Right i've a long one. I like in a cul-de-sac. And outside the house there are near enough to two spaces for cars to park. Now maybe four to five years ago a neighbour across the road took in lodgers, and they were driving an old nissan almera... They bought a new-ish accord and dumped the almera there. It was there for the best part of a year before we complained. Buy this time it was manky, tyre's flat etc. And i live in a "posh" area of limerick. So a few other neighbours complained and she moved it. She turned it around and moved it into the next space. We then rang the corporation, and they eventually came out, but having rang her before. Coming home of the day before we were expecting the coporation the car had had a full valet, pumped tyres, polish the lot. When the corp came, they said "it was a perfectly good car and had no reason to be moved". Eventually it was moved, along with the owner. Currently there is a Peugeot 307 outside the house since last October... There a year, no nct, tax, and their dog is usually spotted inside it relaxing. The owner is too cheap to have it removed, this is the second time he dumped a car there. He buys a piece of crap, when it falls apart he leaves it there. So three cars have been situated outside my door. No glory............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭celica140bhp

A buddy of mine lives in a small estate of 8 hours with shared parking (for about 12 cars). A guy who is renting one of the houses has two cars - fair enough....but one of them is a UK reg and it has not been moved since it appeared a few months back. Parking is limited enough without people "storing" cars there - most times I call over I have to park on the road and it's a narrow road and I'm always concerned about my mirrors!!!!

Should your man not have to get the car registered or what? Any point going to the council or guards seeing as it's not been registered? (and still has the plates :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd take the plates off and see what happens. I've done it to two cars parked on a public road outside my house and both were removed fairly fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

This is popular with those who couldn't care less. They drive a car(usually UK or NI reg) bring it down here, drive it for a while till it breaks and then leave it outside on the road.

this happened in my estate in Naas, I went around with the brother and jump started the car and drove it onto the main road, rang the garda and the car was removed within 24 hours.
    May not have been the right thing to do, but after numerous calls to the council and to the garda they did not want to know, once on the main road it became a problem for them.

If its causing a problem,there are enough people advertising in the B&S that they will take away cars etc for free, give them a call.

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

definitely remove the number plates and call the council i've had to do this a couple of times in the last 2 years, some people are so inconsiderate especially when you live on a narrow cul de sac with very limited on street parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

definitely remove the number plates and call the council i've had to do this a couple of times in the last 2 years, some people are so inconsiderate especially when you live on a narrow cul de sac with very limited on street parking.

I tried ringing the builders today and would you believe it the offices are now closed. So if I take the plates off will it be removed even if the council consider this private property at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

bbability wrote: »
    I tried ringing the builders today and would you believe it the offices are now closed. So if I take the plates off will it be removed even if the council consider this private property at the minute?

Yes, does not matter where the car is, if it has no reg plates on it, it can be lifted and scrapped

Advertisement