Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need a DAC?

• 22-10-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

If I am planning to turn an office into a nail bar, do I need a DAC? I will just be taking down a partition and having my space be one big open room with the installation of a couple counters.

We're not extending the space in any way, just changing the floor tiles and painting the walls. The office has been vacant for 4 years.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Consult planning dept re change of use
    Once that's submitted consult Building control re DAC

Imo you do, depending on the building there may be some compromise in regs but expect ramp access, lighting & wc considerations

Check out fire cert as it may also require an update and BER also

• Registered Users Posts: 20 thatmeanchick

so basically I'm likely gonna have to spend a few grand of my small business loan to gut the wc and double its size? What am I meant to do about the front door that won't fit a wheelchair through it?

so basically I'm likely gonna have to spend a few grand of my small business loan to gut the wc and double its size? What am I meant to do about the front door that won't fit a wheelchair through it?
    Q1: Not necessarily
    Q2: widen it. As I said go a talk to the stake holders before jumping to conclusions

if this is definitely going ahead perhaps speak to a local arch/arch tech before approaching the council or building control

yeah, I have an architect on the case but still, I'd like to know what to expect. If major renos are ahead then I'll look for a new space altogether. Anyway, I'll wait to hear back from him but time is a factor

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i find there is so much bureaucracy involved with small business ventures in existing premises, it makes a lot of them untenable.

take a small 50 sq m space

planning for change of use, statutory and professonal fees. then development contributions.... possible total €3000
    fire safety certificate statutory and professional fee, possible total €1000
    DAC statutory and Professional fee, possible total €1500

so theres an initial outlay of €5,500 for a small space, even if ABSOLUTELY NOTHING needs to be altered to open.

I think planners / building control officers / fire officers should have more power and resources to offer opinions as to whether a change of use actually requires changes to planning and building reg status, and negligible changes should be considered allowed. Its ridiculous thats theres no 'exempt status' for small commercial activity driven by entrepreneurial determination.

• Advertisement

it's defo frustrating. I feel like they want people to stay unemployed for some reason :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Where is the premise?
    Is there apartments or flats above it?

it's in d8 - yeah there are flats....dont give me more bad news please!!! lol

it's in d8 - yeah there are flats....dont give me more bad news please!!! lol

If the change of use from the office to a nail bar is sufficient enough that you need planning, then because the building contains flats you may also need a Fire Safety Certificate. Then that will mean you 100% need a DAC.

dont you need a FSC no matter what anyway?

the changes arent significant, this is what bothers me! we're knocking down a counter and putting store bought tables in place. nothing is going in - only going out.

and we're adding a sink.

• Advertisement

dont you need a FSC no matter what anyway?

the changes arent significant, this is what bothers me! we're knocking down a counter and putting store bought tables in place. nothing is going in - only going out.

and we're adding a sink.

I think that's your question answered. Any FSC needs to be followed by a DAC.

kceire wrote: »
    I think that's your question answered. Any FSC needs to be followed by a DAC.

not really cos I was saying the changes aren't huge yet you're saying if they ARE they need an FSC and DAC and I'm saying regardless of changes I thought you need an FSC, not just in some cases

not really cos I was saying the changes aren't huge yet you're saying if they ARE they need an FSC and DAC and I'm saying regardless of changes I thought you need an FSC, not just in some cases

In all due respect, it's not your call to say that the changes aren't huge.
    If the change of use requires a fsc then it also requires a dac, that's a simple fact.
    Your local fire officer will explain to you why it requires a fsc. For example, in an office environment, the layout of the building and escape routes are much more familiar to the everyday occupants, when compared to a service retail like a nailbar where customers will be unfamiliar. This alone would be a reason.

I sympathize, this bureaucracy is expensive and restrictive, but thems the rules.

Not really appropriate what you think is small changes I'm afraid. For an office to nail bar, you need planning, FSC, and DAC and sussequently the lodgement of a commencement notice.

You can lodge a 7 day notice and this means you can start on site sooner, but the notice must include a FSC and DAC and you sign an affidavit to say that no matter what the fire officer says about your application, any changes you will make and you lose your right to appeal the conditions set out.

Have you got any professional Involvement at the moment. Have you got planning yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

You do not require planning permission as the change of use from Office (Class4) to service provision (Class 2) is exempt under the Planning Regulations.

However, as outlined above, you will require a Fire Safety Certificate and Disability Access Certificate as there will be a material change of use from use as an office to use as a shop (as defined under the Building Control Regulations). Time Impact: 2 weeks to prepare application. Min 2 months approval period but is likely to go beyond this, especially in Dublin.

You will need to engage a Design Certifier and an Assigned Certifier to comply with the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014. You will have to submit a Commenncement Notice to Dublin City Council a min. of 14 days before you start fit-out works. Once complete you will have to submit a Completion Certificate signed by your Build and Assigned Certifier and wait 21 days for validation by DCC before you can occupy and start trading.

thanks shane

shane6977 wrote: »
    You do not require planning permission as the change of use from Office (Class4) to service provision (Class 2) is exempt under the Planning Regulations.

However, as outlined above, you will require a Fire Safety Certificate and Disability Access Certificate as there will be a material change of use from use as an office to use as a shop (as defined under the Building Control Regulations). Time Impact: 2 weeks to prepare application. Min 2 months approval period but is likely to go beyond this, especially in Dublin.

You will need to engage a Design Certifier and an Assigned Certifier to comply with the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2014. You will have to submit a Commenncement Notice to Dublin City Council a min. of 14 days before you start fit-out works. Once complete you will have to submit a Completion Certificate signed by your Build and Assigned Certifier and wait 21 days for validation by DCC before you can occupy and start trading.

If he is indeed covered by Section 41H then great, no planning required. That will shave some time off the process. In Dublin currently all decisions are being granted in time with regards to FSC and DAC.

If the OP wants to start earlier, a 7 day notice can be considered as pointed out before and if he wants to open and occupy the buikding earlier he can give the Building Control section advanced notice of the completion cert being lodged and get a day or two turn around instead on 21 days.

thanks shane

Before you get advice from the internet, you need to discuss it with a professional you have engaged.

Isint Class 4 Light Industrial?
    Office use is Class 3 from what i was told and would require planning to go to Class 2. Just shows the different opinions of the P&D Regulations/Acts.

Before you get advice from the internet, you need to discuss it with a professional you have engaged.

Office use is Class 3 from what i was told and would require planning to go to Class 2. Just shows the different opinions of the P&D Regulations/Acts.

3:1 the DAC is winning!

went to city council today and got it sorted. this thread needs to be closed now.

• Advertisement

Care to share what advice You got?

went to city council today and got it sorted. this thread needs to be closed now.

Do you mind me asking what the said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

Check the Planning & Development Regulations, Schedule 2, Part 4.

Advertisement