Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There are so many people hiding under the anonymity of the internet, we would all be stupid to believe anything that was unfounded. For all we know, the OP could be working for Dunnes, or any other Tesco competitor.

We still haven't had details of one single item removed from Tesco's shelves.

If someone posts that we're all going to die of the Bubonic plague at 3 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, are we supposed to believe them without any proof?

This Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

noodler wrote: »
    This Wednesday?

It's guaranteed, take my word for it......................I know about these things cos I'm on the internet.:cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's guaranteed, take my word for it......................I know about these things cos I'm on the internet.:cool:

Irish time ?

parsi wrote: »
    Irish time ?

Yep, bad news travels fast.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

A mate of mine knows someone who is a honcho in the plague business and my mate says that guy says it'll happen at 2.
    i know this for sure because i know someone who knows someone! and it's true!

• Advertisement

A mate of mine knows someone who is a honcho in the plague business and my mate says that guy says it'll happen at 2.
    i know this for sure because i know someone who knows someone! and it's true!

I wouldn't believe anything that the Typhus man says, his credentials having been bought online for $10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

gambiaman wrote: »
    As an aside, just because the posters who are saying Tesco are beginning the process of trunking in a huge amount of products from the UK have only just registered, that doesn't mean a thing.
    Maybe they are longtime posters who don't want their posts tied to their place of employment however small a chance that may be.

I would suggest any readers keep an open mind - it will be interesting to see over the next few months what will unfold in the major retail market in Ireland.

So you are saying that not only is the OP posting on a matter in which they have a stated vested interest, they might be another poster under and assumed name ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Brenan wrote: »
    My point is, I disagree with Tesco removing Irish brands from its shelves to make room for a larger selection of UK/International brands.
    Well it makes perfect business sense to stock the most profitable items, whether you like it or not.
    I can guarantee you Tesco are planning on removing hundreds and Irish produced products from its stores over the coming weeks and that is a huge concern for me and the thousands of other Irish jobs that are dependant on supplying Tesco (the biggest food retailer in Ireland) with Irish brands that Irish people have been loyal to for years.
    Why would they remove brands if people still want to buy them? The fact is many companies cannot compete so simply have to find another business to get into. It is not viable to run a pineapple farm in Ireland, and I would have no sympathy for a farmer who did try and set one up and failed due to having to charge huge prices to cover his overheads. There should be no blackmailing guilt trip on people, making them feel they should buy Irish pineapples just to support a business which is clearly not viable anymore.

Superquinn are said to be removing Lyons tea, if they notice a dip in tea sales they might figure people are still buying it elsewhere, rather than buying a different brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Look everyone , We Irish buy most of our goods in UK stores like :
    • Penneys
    • Debenhams
    • Marks & Spencer
    • Dixons
    • Tesco
    • Ladbrookes
    • William Hill
    • Currys
    • Argos ..................the list is endless
    Whatever happened to the advertisements for buying Irish and guaranteed Irish products

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

• Penneys
    • Debenhams
    • Marks & Spencer
    • Dixons
    • Tesco
    • Ladbrookes
    • William Hill
    • Currys
    Whatever happened to the advertisements for buying Irish and guaranteed Irish products

Have to agree with this, the main street in Ireland is not very different to the high street across the water. In my town we have Principles, Burtons, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis. UK products are all over the place.

But I do have to agree with the OP to a certain extent - there should be some attempt of large retail stores to source some of their products in Ireland. We can't buy goods if they are no jobs for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Declared illegal by the EU as they promoted protectism and barrier to free trade.

Edit: Shouldn't both these supermarket threads be in Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

any body else think that it is fishy that so many posters with < 10 post counts are on the first page blaming tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Was reading in the sunday bis post yeaterday about haow Lidl & Aldi are stocking more brands than ever in their stores becasue Irish shopers want to buy brands. In Aldi over 20% of goods in their Irish stores are branded whereas in their european markets it is less than 5%.

Now - I'm no big fan of tesco & mega retailers, but they are good at what they do - hence their size. So whay would they fly in the face of every bit of retailing operation and withdraw brands people buy on a regular basis.

In the context fo the Irish market, it would be retail suicide - Tesco don't do retail suicide.

This is a non story

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Harolds+

I never buy english products

I always find them far more inferior than Irish ones

I am also aware that England has the highest amount of oestrogen in its water supply in Europe. So my boycott has been going on for many, many years and that includes its beers, biscuits etc

I never buy in Tesco's. However, I had no choice but to buy there last summer when I was renting (before buying my home in Harold's Cross) near St. Vincents Hospital and the nearest supermarket was Tesco's. I look back with dread shopping there and also living in an area full of aliens :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nice to see your not a biased against English or any foreign nationals that happen to live near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Harolds+

ongarite wrote: »
    Nice to see your not a biased against English or any foreign nationals that happen to live near you.

:D

Like I said, there is problems with the production of food in England and its deliberate boycott of Irish goods is reminiscent of the boycott of Irish products during the Troubles in England

;)

Harolds+ wrote: »

Like I said, there is problems with the production of food in England and its deliberate boycott of Irish goods is reminiscent of the boycott of Irish products during the Troubles in England

;)

Nothing like disinformation to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Had a look in Tesco in Waterford (Ardkeen), needed some shopping so had a look to see if there were any Irish brands still on sale. I found the following taking up the same shelf space (as well as I can tell on a casual glance) as always.
    Odlums, Flahavans, Fallain,
    Shamrock, Ballymaloe, Real Irish Food Co.,
    Gem, Avonmore, Galtee,
    Denny, Clonakilty, Shaws,
    Irish Yogurt, Yoplait, Gateaux,
    Ballyfree, Glenisk, Green Farm Foods,
    Green Isle, Roscrea, Dairygold,
    Dawn, Kerrymaid, Moy Park,
    Connacht Gold, LowLow, Dubliner,
    Barrys, Coolmore, O'Hara's,
    Staffords, MiWadi, Kelkin,
    Killeen, Tayto, Pat the Baker,
    Irish Pride, Bewleys, Brennans,
    Corrin Hill, Butlers, Cuisine de France

I have to say I had not realised just how many Irish brands were stocked by Tesco. I did see a few locals brands being discontinued (eg. Country Style processed meat products) but I also saw some Tesco own brands being discontinued so I'd infer that this was due to low sales. In addition a lot of their meat, fruit and veg (climate permitting) is sourced in Ireland (granted the whole island). Personally I try to avoid buying fresh foods not sourced locally as I think they are going to be fresher and have better food value if they have only had a few hundred than thousand miles to travel.

In summary, my casual look suggests that Irish brands are being stocked and sold. As a previous poster said, Tesco is not going to drop items that sell where ever they come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Harolds+ wrote: »

;)

It is a disgrace......just what the Irish economy needs:confused:.....I wonder if they employed Maggie Thatcher (prob the most qualified):D to oversee the trade war against Irish produce.

Tesco are the dearest supermarket anyway......Didn't they make record profits recently.Perhaps they're importing from abroad to continue their fine work in giving us cheap produce, although....

The National Consumer Agency survey they found Tesco's to be the dearest Quote below

''Tesco was the most expensive and the groceries had a price tag of €296.08.''

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0211/breaking45.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Fluffybums wrote: »
    Gem, Avonmore, Galtee,
    Yoplait is not Irish, Cusine de France, Bewley's, Tayto used to be but I wouldn't swear to it in court, Moy Park - Dungannon is British, Kelkin - International Brand, the rest I don't know for sure.

They may provide employment in Ireland but are they Irish?

/edit Tayto owned by Irish Snack Foods owned by Largo Foods - Still Irish TG

• Advertisement

escobar wrote: »
    It is a disgrace......just what the Irish economy needs:confused:.....I wonder if they employed Maggie Thatcher (prob the most qualified):D to oversee the trade war against Irish produce.

What trade war? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

escobar wrote: »
    ''Tesco was the most expensive and the groceries had a price tag of €296.08.''

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0211/breaking45.htm

When comparing a basket of branded goods between Dunnes Stores, Superquinn and Tesco, the difference between the cheapest and dearest basket was €3.60 or 1.2 per cent. In Dunnes Stores the cost of the basket was €292.48 while in Superquinn the same basket cost just one cent more. Tesco was the most expensive and the groceries had a price tag of €296.08.
    Feck all difference, and it was for branded goods. I shop in tesco, dunnes & lidl. I get different things in different shops. Most is got in tesco as it is cheapest for what I choose. I like the fact tesco charge more for branded goods, the idiots who buy the likes of brand name bleach at €2 a bottle mean my tesco value bleach can be priced at 29c. You can shop extremely cheaply in tescos, many own brand items are actually cheaper now than they were in the 80's, yet many do not even think of that. The difference in price between brand names and own brands is massive compared to back then.

Tesco have a new low brand range of products out which are around the same price as the "value" range, but far better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

Fluffybums wrote: »
    Had a look in Tesco in Waterford (Ardkeen), needed some shopping so had a look to see if there were any Irish brands still on sale. I found the following taking up the same shelf space (as well as I can tell on a casual glance) as always.
    Gem, Avonmore, Galtee,

AFAIK Galtee rashers aren't irish. This was a controversy that arose during the pig meat crisis last DEcember, all these people asking questions about how safe it was to eat Galtee rashers, thinking they were from Irish pigs, only to discover that they're not.

As a result of that and other revelations, i find myself much slower to support products just because they have irish branding and certainly boycotting a store who removed products that have been sold to us as 'irish' when in fact they were not wouldn't be high on my agenda.

Personally i'm as happy buying republic of ireland goods in the North where they are mainly cheaper - that way i get to support the manufacturer and the jobs it creates in the republic, without paying the additional 'buy in the republic' taxes that exist for whatever reason down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Hagar wrote: »
    Yoplait is not Irish, Cusine de France, Bewley's, Tayto used to be but I wouldn't swear to it in court, Moy Park - Dungannon is British, Kelkin - International Brand, the rest I don't know for sure.

They may provide employment in Ireland but are they Irish?

/edit Tayto owned by Irish Snack Foods owned by Largo Foods - Still Irish TG

Sine introduction in 1974 Yoplait is made under licence by waterford foods in Inch, Co. Wexford.

Cusine De France owned by IAWS - old old Irish company but operates on the international stage. Over 500 people are employed manufacturing bread products in Clondalkin.

Bewleys - operated by Campbell Group. Based in Coolock.

Tayto - as you've said, is very Irish.

Moy Park, Dungannon - IMO its Irish.

Kelkin is a DCC company wholly Irish owned but now also sells into the UK market with Tesco UK one of their biggest customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I stand largely corrected, however like it or not Moy Park is a British Company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Lplated wrote: »
    AFAIK Galtee rashers aren't irish. This was a controversy that arose during the pig meat crisis last DEcember, all these people asking questions about how safe it was to eat Galtee rashers, thinking they were from Irish pigs, only to discover that they're not.

AFAIK they were just the rashers used for export in the gift baskets that people send abroad at Christmas, they were from Holland or somewhere. The ones you buy here should be from Irish pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lisie247

Penneys is an Irish company...
    • Penneys
    • Debenhams
    • Marks & Spencer
    • Dixons
    • Tesco
    • Ladbrookes
    • William Hill
    • Currys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Hagar wrote: »
    I stand largely corrected, however like it or not Moy Park is a British Company.

Is that british as in part of the economic structure of 'Great Britain and Norther Ireland' or is it british as they are based in the British Isles?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

Tesco Ireland are currently in the process of switching its source of international brands from Irish suppliers to UK suppliers to reduce retail prices in its Irish stores and basically bypass the Irish supplier and of course this is something that Tesco have every right to do.

However, very little media reports have highlighted that the key issue is that Tesco are now removing Irish brands from its stores to make room for a bigger range of International brands.

Tesco have already started removing Irish brands and Irish manufactured products from their stores in border areas such as Dundalk and Sligo, and I am reliably informed that a very large percentage of Irish brands and Irish manufactured products are to be removed from ALL Tesco stores over the coming weeks.

The information I have is that Tesco new policy is: products currently ranged in Tesco Ireland, but not in Tesco UK (Irish brands specific to Ireland), are to be replaced by a suitable Tesco UK alternative product.

As Tesco represent around 25% of the grocery market in Ireland, this new policy is a disaster for Irish food producers and I am sure this will lead to massive redundancies in the food industry in this country.

I work with a large food producer in the Republic and I am very concerned about my job as are my colleagues. On the George Hook radio show yesterday, Dermot Breen – Corporate Affairs Director of Tesco Ireland clearly said that Tesco are not currently removing Irish brands from their stores and replacing them with International brands, however this is in fact happening now.

I know for a fact that Tesco are working off profit margins in the Republic that far exceed their profit margins in the UK, so maybe Tesco need to look closer at reducing retail prices by reducing their profit margins instead of making Irish producers suffer further.
    They were allowed to get too big. Now they are calling the shots

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    Is that british as in part of the economic structure of 'Great Britain and Norther Ireland' or is it british as they are based in the British Isles?

If we were talking about the British Isles, there'd be no complaints from anybody.:P

From the Moy Park website:

"Welcome to Moy Park Limited. Based at Craigavon, Northern Ireland, and with further sites in Northern Ireland, England, France and The Netherlands"

Advertisement