Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Ireland host the RWC?

Options
  • 08-09-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Given that some of the games in this World Cup are being played in Wales is it conceiveable that Ireland could host a World Cup?

We have Ravenhill,Thomond Park(or whatever it may be called),Lansdowne Road(or whatever it may be called),Donnybrook,RDS and Musgrave Park assuming the various redevelopments are finished on time.

Throw in Croker (you know the GAA would love the money they could charge to maybe hold a few games or even the final) and maybe the Millenium Stadium which seems to be considered pretty much nuetral ground and we could possibly pull it off.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You'd need the GAA to throw in Croker, Semple, and maybe another 1 or 2 to go with Lansdowne, Thomond and the new Stadium they are building in the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Considering Rugby is growing so rapidly, by the time Ireland got the chance to host a RWC we probably wouldn't have enough stadia with high enough capacity to host it alone.

I'm sure a situation like the '99 RWC could happen again though, sure Landsdowne would have been used for this RWC had it not been being redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

They could host the final maybe but thats about it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

You'd need the complete cooperation of the GAA and get the use of Gaelic Grounds in Limerick, Semple, Parc i Caoimh and Pearse Stadium in Galway, along with Croke Park for the big matches. Even then, I doubt the facilities at most stadia would be up to scratch for such a world class event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

daveirl wrote:
    Yeah but chances of the GAA letting all their main grounds be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Also, if the RWC was at this time of year, you could say goodbye to Croker for the first few weeks anyway. Say if Ireland were to open up the tournament, it'd have to be in Lansdowne.

I dont know, I'd say by any reasonable bid comes in, the GAA will have permanently open up some places for rugby/soccer, and if not, well a special occassion like this may be able to convince them. Sure its only a few weeks in September/October. Also, not all stadiums in Munster would have to be open, you could have Clones there aswell.

Advertisement