Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best places abroad to move to and work?

Options
  • 04-04-2014 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm a young guy in my early 20's, I've always lived in cork and have primarily worked in call centres.

I'm getting very bored of this, and am heavily contemplating moving abroad for a year or so and working.

I would love to hear from anyone who's currently doing this and hear how they're getting on??

Also would love to hear from anyone who has any info or tips.. I.e Best places to go etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I'm a young guy in my early 20's, I've always lived in cork and have primarily worked in call centres.

I'm getting very bored of this, and am heavily contemplating moving abroad for a year or so and working.

I would love to hear from anyone who's currently doing this and hear how they're getting on??

Also would love to hear from anyone who has any info or tips.. I.e Best places to go etc

I think it's a balance of what the job you will have when you move to a place and if that is important to move up, career wise, etc., .or what is the potential for a more interesting personal and social life. Nothing is absolute and there are always compromises. My advice is pick a place that has a balance of the potential advantages as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@OP - help us out here.
    The world is a big place, so your "best places to go" request could be anywhere on the planet. Any rough thoughts on what you'd like to see or do? Jeez, even pick a continent or two to start with. :)

Also, are you planning on working while you travel or are you just travelling? This may affect the answers you get because you may not be eligible to work in certain countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How long is a piece of string. One person might say France, another NZ, another Argentina etc. All very different...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 louish

I've worked abroad in a few places and here's my view on this.

Australia- great if you want to go for a year or two. It's a very easy option with loads of advantages. Wages are good and you can save a decent chunk of change working almost any job so long as you watch your spending as it's insanely expensive to eat and drink out. In Perth the min you will earn is $20 an hour. It's also good for loads of amazing travel ops. A lot of people who go to Oz work and save in Australia before heading to Asia to travel extensively on the cheap with the money they save- 6 months of solid saving in Oz can fun a 6 month trip around SE Asia. Australia is not a good option if you don't have an in-demand skill and want to build a career as it's very difficult to qualify for a long term visa without the skills and qualifications.

New Zealand- once again good for a year. The wages are not as good as Oz for backpacker jobs. Nightlife isn't very exciting but it's lovely to travel around. I think NZ is very similar to Ireland so if you're looking for an adventure somewhere else may suit you more.

London-good if you want to build a career, no visa restrictions and loads of opportunities if you work hard. Not great if you want to travel etc. Most people just get stuck there IMO as once you begin to get ahead at work it's hard to pack it in and go on an adventure.

Thailand- great place to travel and teaching English jobs are plentiful if you have a degree. Seriously, most people get a few job offers in their first couple of weeks. Wages are rubbish but more than enough to live on so long as you eat Thai food and don't go out drinking a lot.

I used to work in telesales in Ireland. Leaving to work abroad and travel was the best thing I ever did. Once you hit 30, you don't qualify for most working holiday visas so it makes sense to do it while you're still young. For me, working abroad also made me appreciate Ireland a lot more. Once you see the standard of living in other places, you realize Ireland has a lot going for it. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement