Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-03-2012, 23:02   #16
BattleCorp

[QUOTE=Syth;77608267]( http://www.presscouncil.ie/code-of-practice.10.html ), which includes agreeing to not publish anything that's likely to cause offence or stir up hatred against people based on sexual orientation. They have almost certainly done this.

QUOTE]

I think it is going way too far to accuse him of stirring up hatred.

He has stated his opinion in the article, nothing more, nothing less. Just because u don't agree with him doesn't mean it's encitement to hatred.
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 02:10   #17
stephen_n

[QUOTE=BattleCorp;77661924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syth View Post
( http://www.presscouncil.ie/code-of-practice.10.html ), which includes agreeing to not publish anything that's likely to cause offence or stir up hatred against people based on sexual orientation. They have almost certainly done this.

QUOTE]

I think it is going way too far to accuse him of stirring up hatred.

He has stated his opinion in the article, nothing more, nothing less. Just because u don't agree with him doesn't mean it's encitement to hatred.
To a certain point I would have agreed with had he not drawn the non existent link between paedophiles and homosexuality. Which was a deliberate attempt to incite hatred or at least fear. Also it's not simply an opinion, when he is attempting to support it with supposed facts and studies, even though he is quoting at random to try and support his position! Meyers is not capeable of coherent argument and as a result his opinions are designed to cause controversy, in doing so on this occasion he crossed the line.
Thanks from:
02-04-2012, 23:02   #18
Sir Ophiuchus

I would argue that claiming the gay rights movement caused four times the deaths of the Vietnam war would stir up hatred against LGBT people.
06-04-2012, 00:36   #19
Chuchoter

They're on a role this week guys. Not a correct pronoun in the entire article :/

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...p-3072162.html
06-04-2012, 02:22   #20
wonderfulname

Well that was an, interesting? way of approaching that story. I can't help but wonder what an unbiased version sounds like.
Advertisement
10-10-2012, 11:12   #21
MYOB

Press Ombudsman ruling printed in the Indo today, article found to be in breach of two sections of the code.
Thanks from:
10-10-2012, 11:23   #22
Joeytheparrot

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...03450790847298
10-10-2012, 11:29   #23
stephen_n

It is interesting that they use the term, decided to uphold rather than the usual upheld. This is a deliberate attempt to undermine the validity of the ruling, by making it out to be a personal decision by the ombudsman, rather than a fact of law!
(3) thanks from:
10-10-2012, 16:17   #24
paulmorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_n View Post
It is interesting that they use the term, decided to uphold rather than the usual upheld. This is a deliberate attempt to undermine the validity of the ruling, by making it out to be a personal decision by the ombudsman, rather than a fact of law!
In their defence (and I won't give them much at all!!) this is how all of the ombudsman's press releases are started...

http://www.pressombudsman.ie/cases-a...dsman.301.html
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-10-2012, 20:02   #25
kodoherty93
Closed Account

Did anyone read like a few weeks after Meyers article, Vincent Browes opinion on gay marriage which for a man of his age amazing.

I'm sure it's on the Irish times website how we can't what marriage is on a book(the bible) because of the other stories in the book are merely stories which now know are not true.

Everyone knows the Indo is not the most intelligent paper and often it's difficult to tell whether its a tabloid or a broadsheet.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Share Tweet