Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Letter

Options
  • 20-07-2014 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

After many many years of waiting and a massive back story similar to many others.

My brother has agreed to accept a letter and write one in return

But what do i put in the letter ?
    My desperation to see him ,hold him? meet him? Touch him?

Do i tell him his mother is dead?
    How the legacy of abuse in ireland touched our familly and it was best that he was away

Do i paint a picture of flowers in the garden and sun shining on a rainy day?

what guidelines have you applied in writing a letter

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is the letter the next step before meeting him?
    Or do you think there will be many letters before you meet up?
    And how much does he already know of the story of your respective lives?

Perhaps you don't need to try and tell the whole story in the first letter.
    Maybe just briefly outline how you've come to be where you are, with some detail of the good and bad experiences, and where you hope to get to through making contact with him.

I wouldn't lie but also I wouldn't be too quick to point out the really bad stuff in the first letter if there is any.
    I don't know your back story but I see this as a letter of introduction and like any introduction it's about making the right first impression, because I'm sure you want this to develop into something far beyond an exchange of written correspondence.

Mostly, just be yourself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Thanks Hermy

I'm still trying to sort it in my head ,has a huge effect on everyone in the familly ..

So trying to go gently about the wording
    Your advice is very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 45 schoolmouse

Hi Jellyboy, give a brief outline of the family and especially about yourself, education, sports you may be interested in, no of brothers or sisters you may have, hobbies and general information of this nature. That is the advice I got when writing my first letter to my own son, so I am wishing you the very best and hoping everything goes well for you.

Advertisement