Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales Map of Ireland by County

Options
  • 23-02-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to display the number of customers we have by county, with a colour representing the number per county.

Has anyone any idea where I could get such a map?

Example, Dublin with 100 shops would be bright green, down to, say, Kerry with 5 shops in a lighter green, with all the counties in between.

Purpose is to show at a glance areas where we don't have a lot of shops active.

It'd be an internal webpage, and happy to code it in php etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

you can try google maps or bing maps API.

get aproximate gps positions for each store, or just the county, and then you can just display the information you want in that specific position.

I haven't work in a while with those API, but check their documentation/SDK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

This will get you started: Google Earth Hacks: GB and Ireland County Boundaries.
    The .kmz file is a zip format containing the .kml file. The doc.kml file is a XML format so you can open it and extract the data you need.

You can create your own .kml file and use it in your application as explained in Google's Developer Documentation: Displaying KML files in your Maps application

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

you can try google maps or bing maps API.

get aproximate gps positions for each store, or just the county, and then you can just display the information you want in that specific position.

I haven't work in a while with those API, but check their documentation/SDK

Thanks but it'll be a summary map, so I don't to map each store.

For example, for I'll have a table with

County_name No_Stores
    Carlow 10
    Dublin 150
    Cork 25

And I'd like to show each county as a single colour based on the number of stores in that county.

EG. say 0 stores - county shown in white
    1 -10 stores county is light green
    11-40 stores county is darker green
    41 80 stores county is even darker green
    80+ county darkest green

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

It sounds like what you're looking for is a choropleth map (i.e. a heatmap). If you want to build something polished and interactive then d3js.org might be the place to go. I'm not sure how involved it would be though. Googling around for "d3js ireland choropleth map" seems to bring up some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭Talisman

Aswerty wrote: »
    It sounds like what you're looking for is a choropleth map (i.e. a heatmap). If you want to build something polished and interactive then d3js.org might be the place to go. I'm not sure how involved it would be though. Googling around for "d3js ireland choropleth map" seems to bring up some stuff.
    That's a good tip, I hadn't considered suggesting the D3.js library. It's a much cleaner solution if the mapping is not actually required.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yep, something like the below should work as a starting point:

http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/5144735

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

A HTML5/JS charting solution would look very polished, can be interactive and is also very easy to get something quick up and running.

http://www.amcharts.com/javascript-maps/

http://www.fusioncharts.com/charts/fusionmaps/?map=us-employment-distribution-map

Search for more:
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=html5+map+chart

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Wow! Just what I wanted, 10 mins after going to amchart I have a working map with "heat" counties!!!!

Thanks Folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HOB-it

HI. Im looking for something similar to what you have achieved above. Patrick. Could you tell me where on the amchart website you were able to generate a heat map of counties in Ireland?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

If looking for a dynamic Web-based map, why not grab an SVG map and turn it into a PHP script, grabbing your data and assigning the county fill colours accordingly, then outputting the end map with a image/svg+xml content type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I want to display the number of customers we have by county, with a colour representing the number per county.

Has anyone any idea where I could get such a map?

Example, Dublin with 100 shops would be bright green, down to, say, Kerry with 5 shops in a lighter green, with all the counties in between.

Purpose is to show at a glance areas where we don't have a lot of shops active.

You need to be careful. Are you
    a: showing counties with a low number of shops
    b: showing counties with a low number of shops per head of population

there is a difference.

Advertisement