Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress to suit body type

Options
  • 07-03-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya. We're heading off on our holidays at the end of April. I'm definitely in need of a nice dress or two. I'm thinking of one maxi which could be worn to the beach and out for lunch, and another shorter one which could be dressed down with flats, or up with nice sandals for at night out. I also need a bikini.

My issue is that at 5ft1 and a size 10 (12 in some shops) I am not the slimmest person. I find it hard to find a style of dress to suit my height and body shape. Maxi dresses tend to swamp me with all of the material, skater style I think emphasises my stomach (although I've only owned one and it was made with heavy material). I also feel that they might be a bit young for me, I'm 29 in 2 weeks.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a style of dress which might suit my height and shape. (and suggestions on swimwear welcome too!)

Thanks.

Comments

Do you know what your body shape is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Do you know what your body shape is?

SHORT :pac:

I guess I'd be slightly pear shaped, hips and chest with a defined waist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would be 5ft 1in too and need to take up to a 12 on the chest but would be a size 6-8 on the waist so am odd shaped! I have found that some older children's clothes can be great (eg Next). I may be trying them for a maxi dress in their petite range soon as otherwise I wear either children's (cheaper too :)) or I do wear a lot of 50's style dresses but I am in my late 30's. Belts are great. I got a great midi dress (maxi on me) in a tiered style that I wear a lot. It does soung that you are being tough on yourself shape wise - you sound like you have a good figure.

Early happy birthday by the way :)

Advertisement