Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a teacher!

Options
  • 05-12-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I need some help in what my options might be. Ive a B.A Honors degree thats credited by the Teaching Council fir only business studies subject. I really want to move forward with my degree and become a teacher but was told nearly impossible to be employed with only one subject and even worse to actually get into a HDip course with only one subject.

Could someone help me figure if there are any other options? Further education? Or go back and do a different degree? Anything?

Thanks for your help. Saira

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Maybe try posting in the Teaching and Lecturing forum instead - more likely to know over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

There is no longer a HDip programme in UL. It is now a professional masters of education and says nothing about a second subject. The course is designed for business graduates, so I don't think there would be an issue with you getting in, however getting a job afterwards could be a problem, but that is a decision you must make yourself.

http://www.ul.ie/graduateschool/course/professional-master-education-business

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sairaxx

thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

Hi There,
    I am currently in 5th year in Secondary School and I want to be a Secondary School Teacher or else a Hotel Receptionist anyways, that aside, I would love to be an English Teacher, Does anyone know what road to go down for this job? Should I be doing Higher Level English?? Or will I be okay with Ordinary Level English??
    Any help will be much appreciated,
    Thanking You!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jamie124 wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I am currently in 5th year in Secondary School and I want to be a Secondary School Teacher or else a Hotel Receptionist anyways, that aside, I would love to be an English Teacher, Does anyone know what road to go down for this job? Should I be doing Higher Level English?? Or will I be okay with Ordinary Level English??
    Any help will be much appreciated,
    Thanking You!.

Always do as many subjects you can at as high a level you can.
    You would certainly need to have done HL English to be an English teacher. You will also need a second subject for teaching.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Always do as many subjects you can at as high a level you can.
    You would certainly need to have done HL English to be an English teacher. You will also need a second subject for teaching.

Thank you for your help! :-)
    Well i have one year to go because I have 6th year too so I will know what Higher Level subjects and Ordinary Level Subjects I will be doing next year but I REALLY want to do Higher Level English but my teacher is just sooooo...... I can't describe her, She seems to think i'm not able for Higher Level but I really am...
    Anyways thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sky1234

Trust me, teachers and schools want as many students as possible doing higher level;if your teacher doesn't think you're fit for it then she believes you will fail. The jump from Junior Cert to Leaving Cert is huge in English. A student who got a D in higher level English at Junior Cert generally finds Leaving Cert English very very difficult (unless it was genuinely an uncharacteristically bad exam for the student).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sky1234

Plus you do not need to study higher level at leaving cert to teach a subject. You need to study it at college to degree level. It will be harder in college if you haven't but it is not a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tim667

There is a Gradate Diploma in Adult and Further Education available in Mary I.

My girlfriend did this course and as part of it she had to complete 100 hours teaching and 30 hours teaching observation.

The Back to Education option is also available for this course.

If you have any further queries, I can get her to post here.

Tim667 wrote: »
    There is a Gradate Diploma in Adult and Further Education available in Mary I.

My girlfriend did this course and as part of it she had to complete 100 hours teaching and 30 hours teaching observation.

The Back to Education option is also available for this course.

If you have any further queries, I can get her to post here.
    Thank You, That is even more helpful! - Yes I am doing Ordinary Level English (FOR THE MOMENT) I was thinking there was other ways other than Higher Level...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

If you are looking into doing the Education postgraduate then it is best to check your proposed undergraduate course with the subject declaration form (on the teaching council website) of your subject because you need a certain amount of credits in different areas and if you don't have those credits, you can't do it.

It was brought in a year or two after I started my undergrad and now I am in my final year and found that I don't have enough credits in one area (drama) for the English declaration form...

A lot of other people are having the same problem so just some advice, make sure your course will give you the credits in the right area!

Advertisement