Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barton Banned

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

anyone got some pics of Dabo beat up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bit much alright. My initial thought was that it was a training gound "scuffle" but it's clear Barton has issues and his City career is over.
    Hartson/Berkovic and Robinho/Graveson spats spring to mind.

That player of the year comment could have some truth in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No thank you. We'll leave the tackles on our players to the opposition.

Thats what a lot said about Smithy, Loook at how highly he is regarded by United fans now. Barton is a good player . Fergie tried to sign him a few season's ago I wouldn't be surprised if he tried again. He wouldn't be the first firey player to sign for United , in fact his temprement would be a major plus.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    How long have I been away??? Can we use that word now? :)

I remember the days of being banned for calling someone who threw a firework into a crowd of people that word.

/Me Waits for KDjalcL to ban himself.

Just noticed the new addition L there . Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

impr0v wrote:

I think we should take some of what is being said with a pinch of salt, children watching and all.... :rolleyes:, the pictures of Dabo with the eye taped shut seems a bit ott, could well be wrong but it just seems he is milking it.
    Barton is a class but volatile player, he is not satan as some people are trying to portray him.
    I dont think anyone here can make concrete stements on Bartons character a they dont know him but we can make sound judgements on his footballing abilities and thats the main thing isnt it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    Thats what a lot said about Smithy, Loook at how highly he is regarded by United fans now. Barton is a good player . Fergie tried to sign him a few season's ago I wouldn't be surprised if he tried again. He wouldn't be the first firey player to sign for United , in fact his temprement would be a major plus.

Fergie wouldnt touch him with a barge poll. Smithy looks like Mary poppins in comparison, even Roy keane looks like MAry poppins aswell.

I hear Everton are going to buy him, i am sure there fans would love that. That chap isnt all there mentally.

Fergie wouldnt touch him with a barge poll. Smithy looks like Mary poppins in comparison, even Roy keane looks like MAry poppins aswell.

I hear Everton are going to buy him, i am sure there fans would love that. That chap isnt all there mentally.

Why did he try sign him in the transfer window 2 season ago then. I would suggest Fergie prefers to sign players with fire in their bellies. Smith/ Keane/Cantona are all prime examples.

What grounds do you have to question his mental health?

Ousmane Dabo says he has been left looking like the 'Elephant Man' after being attacked by Joey Barton.

The Manchester City midfielders squared up in training on Tuesday, with Dabo taken to hospital after being punched repeatedly by Barton.

The England cap has been suspended by City until the end of the season, with Dabo explaining how the bust-up came about.

"I just pushed him away and turned my back to walk off," Dabo told The Sun. "That's when he hit me.

"I really don't remember exactly what happened, but I've been told by all my team-mates he hit me from behind, a right hook which hit me on the temple and knocked me out for a few seconds.

"As I started to fall he jumped on top of me, held my head and punched me twice more in the face.

"Apparently when I was on the floor he again punched me before being pulled off.

"When I came round, and it can only have been a matter of seconds, there was blood everywhere.

"I was spitting blood and my eye was clouded over when I realised what had happened. I wanted to go after him."

After receiving hospital treatment for his injuries, Dabo said: "When I woke up this morning I looked at myself in the mirror with my face all swollen up and I looked like the Elephant Man.

"I've never known anything like this before in my career.

As barton's agent..:rolleyes:
    Barton's agent Willie McKay said on Wednesday that he had been banned by City because he was "an easy target" and that he was acting "in self-defence".

McKay also suggested he was Dabo's agent, a claim the Frenchman was quick to deny.

"Let's get one thing clear," added Dabo in the Daily Telegraph. "McKay has never been my agent. He only assisted my real agent with my transfer last summer.

"Secondly, he should have checked his facts before saying I was the aggressor.

"He has actually called me since to apologise for getting the story wrong, but it's too late because in the eyes of many I'm seen as the one who started the fight.

"But that's absolutely not true and that is why I'm so keen to get my side of the story across."

The Muppet wrote:
    Why did he try sign him in the transfer window 2 season ago then. I would suggest Fergie prefers to sign players with fire in their bellies. Smith/ Keane/Cantona are all prime examples.

What grounds do you have to question his mental health?

I mean after this latest story he wont bother, too much of a risk. I dont ever remember keane/smith/cantona doing anything on the same level as Barton.

I will agree on the pitch they were firey, but not really off it(baring a few incidents in nightclubs). I doubt fergie wantsa player who kick lumps out of a team mate and stub cigars out in the youth players eyes. Cant be good for morale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

cantona doing anything on the same level as Barton.
    er...LOL!

hiiiiiiiii-ya!

Savman wrote:
    er...LOL!

hiiiiiiiii-ya!

I meant to his own team mate. Theres a big difference between clubbing a opposition fan, a opposition player or so dick in a nightclub then hammering a team mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Even the nice man John Hartson has done it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7TdTcwZLTM

:D

Barton's a (instert word) in fairness. Between him and Bellamy they can stay away from Celtic.:mad: I have a feeling one of them will be at Celtic next season though.

I doubt fergie wantsa player who kick lumps out of a team mate and stub cigars out in the youth players eyes. Cant be good for morale.

No but he would definitly be interested in a decent central midfielder than can handle the physical nature of the premiership. He may well be willing to take a punt on Barton who he has tried sign before and is now likely to be available on the cheep. Fergie has a proven track record in handling difficult players . He would certainly improve the squad, What would Utd have to lose ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Muppet wrote:
    I think there's a difference between Smith and Barton. Fire in the belly is one thing, tendency to assault is quite another. I don't think Smith ever hospitalised one of his Leeds team mates, or put a cigar out in someone else's face. I know Fergie is a good man-manager and has managed plenty of characters in his time, but I for one wouldn't want Barton anywhere near a United shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I mean after this latest story he wont bother, too much of a risk. I dont ever remember keane/smith/cantona doing anything on the same level as Barton.

I will agree on the pitch they were firey, but not really off it(baring a few incidents in nightclubs). I doubt fergie wantsa player who kick lumps out of a team mate and stub cigars out in the youth players eyes. Cant be good for morale.

Cantona :eek: He was a bloody lunatic, some of the stuff he got up to before he came to England was nuts.
    Can people just forget about the Cigar thing, stupid incident, move on people...
    I bet players have done alot worse things than Barton and we have never heard about them.

The Muppet wrote:
    No but he would definitly be interested in a decent central midfielder than can handle the physical nature of the premiership. He may well be willing to take a punt on Barton who he has tried sign before and is now likely to be available on the cheep. Fergie has a proven track record in handling difficult players . He would certainly improve the squad, What would Utd have to lose ?

Morale. If he kicks off in september you are stuck with him until January. Is it worth the risk?

I dont think so, and i dont think fergie will either. We'll find out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As a City fan I'm gutted at Joey's latest actions. I've defended him for so long as he, along with Dunney, is our best player. However this is a step too far. If the guy can't cop himself on and learn where the line is then he has to go. I'll be gutted to see him in another team's colours next year but it seems the only solution.

The only positive to come out of it is that Dabo can't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I find the whole thing ironic, Barton criticising his team etc. and he leads by example by clocking one of his teammates...hypocrisy thy name is Barton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Good old Joey's just got himself arrested for an alleged assault. That lad will never learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

The suspension seem way over the top for an incident that has and will continue to happen in training grounds the world over.Looks like City just want him out and are making a song and dance about it.As was posted above , Hartson converting someones head was a far more serious offence for the pc brigade to whine about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

d22ontour wrote: »
    Looks like City just want him out and are making a song and dance about it..

I can see him in a Newcastle shirt as early as this weekend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Stekelly wrote: »
    I can see him in a Newcastle shirt as early as this weekend .

/me does the timewarp.

:o

Not if he is suspended for the rest of the season ya won't.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

as much as i feel bad for it, i got to say, i like him! i know he has thuggish tendancys but i feel he could be a great player if he was given the proper help and was given a kick in the arse by his manager

bring back brian clough!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Hes been refused bail this morning so has to stay in custody until Jan 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wardie wrote: »
    Hes been refused bail this morning so has to stay in custody until Jan 3rd.

Where do they think he's going to go? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Won't be Europe anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

hes been remanded for the safety of the public at large, not in case he bunks off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a **%! (edited to avoid ban)

from guardian
    Jayne Hughes, prosecuting, had earlier told the court that Barton could clearly be seen on CCTV involved in a series of incidents in Church Street in Liverpool city centre at 5.30am yesterday. She said Barton and his friends became involved in a confrontation with another group inside a McDonald's restaurant and the manager asked both parties to leave.

Outside, she said, the alleged affray took place when an unknown man made a gesture towards the player. Hughes added that a final incident followed in which a man was allegedly punched to the ground by Barton. "The CCTV clearly shows Mr Barton involved in altercations with members of the public going about their business," said Hughes. "He was seen pacing around Church Street and lashing out indiscriminately at people walking around and standing around."

Alongside Barton, his brother, Andrew, 19, from Widnes, is charged with actual bodily harm and affray and Nadine Wilson, 27, from Huyton, Merseyside, who was also part of Barton's group, is charged with common assault and affray.

Mike.

Advertisement