Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting MSc Occupational therapy ul 2014

Options
  • 13-02-2014 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey, just wondering if anyone on here is starting the masters in UL in Sept 2014? I got accepted and would love to hear from others in the same boat :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SashLad

Hi! I got place on the programme in UL also absolutely relieved! Came from a social science background and worked in drug and homeless sector for under a year on voluntary basis so delighted. Finding a job to part fund the fees is the main problem at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BHSFINALY

Jesabel129 wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering if anyone on here is starting the masters in UL in Sept 2014? I got accepted and would love to hear from others in the same boat :)
    SashLad wrote: »
    Hi! I got place on the programme in UL also absolutely relieved! Came from a social science background and worked in drug and homeless sector for under a year on voluntary basis so delighted. Finding a job to part fund the fees is the main problem at the minute!

I'm hoping to apply for 2015. Any advice?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SashLad

Try find work experience in OT field if you can. It gave me massive insight into what I'm getting myself into. It also shows you're keen to pursue in this field. What I found mainly is the importance of interactions with clients and how you work in a team environment. Multidisciplinary fields come to mind in Occupational Therapy (There's many other people you could possibly work with in the field).

Be honest in your personal statement. If you don't believe what you're writing you're in a losing battle already. Explain your background (degree etc and what you got from it/ how it developed you.) Work experience and any related work you deal with people always great and vitally important. I had aspirations of doing social work originally though occupational therapy was strong in the mind.
    Read up on research and be genuinely interested with it rather than just copy and paste something that will sound good. There's 25-30 places in the country I'm sure uniqueness needs to stand out in order to be successful. I hope this helps in some way. I got many rejections for masters in the last year but if you really want to do something, follow through, your time will come. Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kaytay

I am reallly interested in doing The MSc in OT. I am currently finishing my third year of A general nursing degree and i have one more year to go, I have realised OT Is what I want to do and I hope I get it! am hoping to then go straight in to do OT after nursing. (I know i am thinking ahead lol). I am just thinking that we dont get our degree's until the december at graduation time, and i hope i get the degree before the deadline for application for the OT course.. or would they accept a letter as proof as completion of the degree. Can anyone tell me what the course is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Unknown123

Hi Guys, I am applying for the Msc in Occupational Therapy for 2015. Application deadline is December 5th so gathering a few last minute bits. Just wondering was there many people who got on the course this year with an unrelated degree?? I know it's stiff competition every year but is it possible to get on the course with a degree in Business?? I have visited various OT departments (Acute hospital, mental health, intellectual disabilities) and I recently did a placement work shadowing an OT in an intellectual setting. Outside of that I have been coaching underage ladies football all year but i don't know would the college deem that as relevant or not? Any info on tips for application would be really appreciated?! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mmarch2

Hi everyone, I recently just applied to UL's 2015 MSc entry program. I am nervous as can be just from reading all the post's throughout this forum discussing how competitive it is. UL is my dream school and the only one that I applied to... Not to mention, I'm a 23 year old male international student from the United States. I feel confident in my OT experience as I have close to 3,000 hours in 10 diverse settings working as a rehab tech in one of the most renowned hospitals in the world; however, I am extremely worried about how the equivalancy of my undergraduate grades will be scaled. I wish you all the best of luck, hopefully we can all report back with great news!

Just curious, does anyone know the typical amount of applications they receive or when they typically send back responses regarding our application status?

Thanks!!

Looking forward to hearing back from you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pmono

Hi Guys!

I applied for this masters too! I emailed to see when we would find out if we are successful or not and I was told that people would be shortlisted by the end of January and the offers would be out by the end of February. Im so nervous, I cant wait to find out!

That's great news Pmono, it's just a matter of a waiting game. Have u applied to any universities in the UK? I wonder has there been alot of applicants this year, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on boards!

Thanks for the update Pmono!! Good luck to you!

Hi Guys.

FYI - I emailed this morning to find out more info on the status of my application, and I was told that decisions would be made mid-late february, and we would be notified by letter as well as an update on student portal. I'm guessing by the email that there are no interviews again this year.

• Advertisement

Thanks Unknown!! Did they say if they would let us know if we are on the shortlist? Or will we not hear anything until the offers are sent out?

Judging by the email, I am of the understanding that we won't hear anything until mid-late february. It's a long waiting game! :( Have you applied to other universities?!

Since I am from the United States I did not apply to any other EU schools other than UL! UL is recognized by the NBCOT which is the board required to work as an OT in the US. Since I've always wanted to go to school overseas, UL was the perfect fit. How about you??

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

I'm an OT working with a current UL student, they said that when they applied 2 years ago there was about 200 applications.

Fingers crossed for all those waiting to hear. I've been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Mmarch just wondering if NBCOT confirmed that your UL qualification would be sufficient? i completed my degree in Trinity, and our degree was not sufficient, we were required to complete several online courses to get US equivalency. (This was pre-Masters requirement). it also took NBCOT 8 months from application to them telling us we needed these extra modules. Just to keep in mind

Hey everyone! I just found out today I didn't get accepted, I am devastated. I made a reserves list, but not too hopefull. Hope you all are more successful!!!! :)

Hi everyone,

Long time no talk! I was fortunately accepted into the program back in February! I just got back from visiting Ireland and UL for the first time and I absolutely loved it.

I was curious though if anyone else has any updates on their status? Still hoping for the best for you all!!!

mmarch2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Long time no talk! I was fortunately accepted into the program back in February! I just got back from visiting Ireland and UL for the first time and I absolutely loved it.

I was curious though if anyone else has any updates on their status? Still hoping for the best for you all!!!

Hi mmarch2! Congratulations!

I was no.20 on the reserves list last I heard so I'm not too hopeful for this year! But I am definitely going to keep applying!
    Hope you have a great time in UL!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Harte94

I'm really interested in doing my Masters in OT in UL! I'm a past-student of UL but my undergrad isn't in a related field. Do ye know just how difficult it is to gain entry? Does volunteer work improve your chances? I have a 2.1 BA degree but I would absolutely love to get into this profession! I have lots of previous work exp working with special needs but I will definitely sort out some more before applications open if it's going to help my chances! I would really prefer to not go to the UK! Any advise ye have id really appreciate! Thank you!!

Advertisement