Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English related queries.

Options
  • 09-11-2014 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Well lads, I'm in 5th Year and potentially looking at doing something English related but I have a problem. Throughout the Junior Cert and the start of 5th Year I've been reliant on sample answers when it comes to plays. I'm studying King Lear at the moment and I studied The Merchant of Venice for my Junior Cert. When it comes to writing answers for plays I really just don't know what to write about and where to begin. How big of a factor is writing essays because I've heard that when studying College English that it's all plays and essays. Any response is appreciated and maybe some tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

In general, college expects you to be able to analyse your material and develop your own thoughts, regardless of the course you're doing. The Leaving Cert prepares you very badly for this since the technique that best prepares you for that is learn stuff off and regurgitate it for the exam.

If you want to prepare yourself for university, start working on your analytical skills. Think about stuff rather than just lapping up what the teacher puts in front of you.

If you want to find out more about the content of the university's courses, you can look up the course directors' contact info on the website and contact them about specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I did New Media & English and you are sort of right in that there are many essays. Not all plays though, but a mixture of novels, short stories, poetry, plays etc. There is a Shakespeare module in 1st year too! Basically there are modules covering very old literature in a chronological order to the present. You are not expected to come up with works of wonder straight away though- tutorials are ideal to help you discuss and refine your ideas and work out how to put them on paper. The regional writing centre is also available if you find it hard to put pen to paper, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

If you genuinely enjoy literature, then all you need to bring to college is a willingness to apply yourself to it. You will learn skills like critical thinking and analysis in your first year of university if you get a book or two from the library and follow the direction of your lecturers.

Advertisement