Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone miss the old play-off game?

• 28-06-2008 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Bring back the 3/4 place play-off, a non game which could be a bundle of fun as both teams warm to the idea of a stress free knockabout.

Russia v Turkey coud have been rather entertaining.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it never lives up to it's billing does it? both teams usually play like they had the wind knocked out of them. It sort of compounds the sense of loss in having missed out on the final i feel. i'm not bothered personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd like it back.

In the last World Cup we had two screamers from Schweinsteiger and in the 2002 playoff Hakan Sukur scored the fastest World Cup goal ever. So they can be exciting, plus it's an extra game of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Would love to see it back.. If only because it would be an extra match..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Rubbish game.

Its akin to spunking your load with a beautiful girl after 10 seconds in front of a crowd of thousands, thoroughly embarrassing yourself and then being asked to come back the following week and try again but this time with a rotten ugly chick.

Nobodys gonna remember if you were a sex god with the ugly battleaxe. All the talk will be about missed opportunities and premature ejaculations. He shouldn't be made ride the ugly chick. Let him go home and lick his wounds or practise or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bring it back? There never was a 3rd place play off in the euros was there? If your talking in terms of major championships then yep, Id like to see it....suppose Ireland qualified and were beaten in the semis, wouldnt it be great to see them try for the "bronze medal" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was abolished in 1980 for no good reason.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Ah i didnt know that :o It would give it some meaning (and the World cup play off as well) if the top 3 teams automatically qualified for the next finals, or something along those lines where the 3rd place team gets some reward beating the 4th place team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Personally i think the 3/4th place play off is a waste of time.
    But i do however find it strange how things have worked out this year.

We were looking at the prospect of Italy and France having a penalty shoot out in order to decide who finished 3rd and 4th in their group, because of the co-oefficiant rulings.....surely this is even more pointless than the play off game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

It was a bit pointless, and very hit and miss as to whether it would be any good or if you'd even bother watching. But as Xavi said, its an extra game of football, which would probably please sponsors and tv companies, so its strange it dosent get played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i'd bring it back just so apres match can do the full commentary on it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It was only ever played in the World Cup never in the European Championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It was only ever played in the World Cup never in the European Championship

Wrong.

England won the third place play off 2-0 against USSR in 1968. (The USSR had earlier lost the semi final by tossing a coin after a 0-0 draw with Italy!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

PDN wrote: »
    Wrong.

England won the third place play off 2-0 against USSR in 1968. (The USSR had earlier lost the semi final by tossing a coin after a 0-0 draw with Italy!)

Ok well no 3rd place play off since the 1980 Euros

Advertisement