Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biochem course No Physics or Chemistry

Options
  • 18-09-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am considering biochem as one of my career choices for next year. However I do not have Physics or Chemistry or Honours Maths but I am doing honours in all of my other subjects including biology. Now I met a friend of a friend over the weekend who has just started biochem this year and he said that one of the lecturers said that anybody who does not have physics and chemistry should not be doing this course in his opinion. Is there any current biochem students who were in the same position as me and could you give me some feedback please. I read in some of the course material that you did not need Phys & Chem as they started from scratch. The entry requirements do not require Phys, chem or higher maths. Will this be just too much of an uphill battle for me, should I reconsider this option? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JenMol

Hiya,

I am after finishing my degree in Biochem, but I know many people who didn't do physics and chemistry. I didn't do physics for my leaving cert and I admit it was tough and hard to follow. A lot of the class hadn't done physics before so most years theres a guy who gives grinds near exams and he's really good. I just about passed but I haven't used or had to do anything with physics since first year. I did chemistry for my leaving cert but my teacher wasn't the best but I found its actually okay to follow in college, found it easier if anything. I will say organic is a bit complicated but every year there is PAL (peer assisted learning) classes...basically students volunteer and teach chemistry/physics or maths to students for a few hours for a few weeks. Its really good because your in a smaller group and it is easier to approach the students teaching you. Physics and chemistry are not necessary to get into the course at all. First year is a general science course so they just cover physics and chemistry. If you really love biology and wanna go for biochem i would say go for it!! I'm managed and I didn't do physics. I really loved my course in the end.

Advertisement