Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quercus Scholarships in UCC

Options
  • 01-09-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anybody knows when students are notified if they have received a quercus entrance scholarship in UCC.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I would also like to know this! I'd like to get an idea of how much med students got as well (it's a fair bit less than other courses) :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Does anyone know how many points can be taken off the entrance requirements for a holder of a sports award???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Quercus, and I'm pretty sure all other, scholarships do not reduce the points requirements for any courses. That practice is vile anyway.

Entrance scholarships are 2k, up to 60 given each year with a maximum of 15 per college in the University.

Academic scholarships = 5, 2 available for med&health and 1 for each other college. These are valued up to 10k in various forms (fees waived, accomodation assistance, food, gas,etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

magicianz wrote: »
    Quercus, and I'm pretty sure all other, scholarships do not reduce the points requirements for any courses. That practice is vile anyway.

Entrance scholarships are 2k, up to 60 given each year with a maximum of 15 per college in the University.

Academic scholarships = 5, 2 available for med&health and 1 for each other college. These are valued up to 10k in various forms (fees waived, accomodation assistance, food, gas,etc.)

Thanks :) do you know when the people who get the scholarships are notified?:)

I'm pretty sure the Quercus scheme does take points off for those who qualify for the scholarships - elite athletes etc.

This would be similar to the UCD ad astra scheme which will take up to 60 points off for elite athletes or musicians.

As for calling it "vile"
    You're having a laugh surely!!!

• Advertisement

Quercus does NOT take off points. http://www.ucc.ie/en/quercus/about/sport/

And no, I'm not having a laugh. The fact that people who play sports at a high level get special privileges is a terrible practice, which is why UCC don't do it on a broad level.

It's giving a place to someone for their sports abilities who may not have reached the set academic level, over someone who worked just as hard or harder to reach the specified academic level. It lowers the quality and integrity of the college. If elite athletes get them, is there a reason musicians, heavily active citizens, young entrepreneurs or anyone else who performs at an 'elite' level shouldn't too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I presume the medicine and health scholarships are given to people with 625 points .

More than likely to be honest! Those college ones are literally top 15 points scored. They're not full Quercus scholarships, the results ones are 2000 I believe, full Quercus is up to 10,000!

But yeah, those ***** get money for 625 :P

Re: Quercus Sport Scholarships

"Successful applicants will meet the minimum entry requirements (matriculation) of their desired undergraduate degree."

Usually there can be a significant difference between minimum entry requirements and points needed.

This gap in points required is not specified and it's one that I would like more info on.

In UCD they will allow the elite athlete up to 60 points of the CAO total.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Babysmurf

Quercus scholars at UCC do not need to meet the points requirement for their course.
    Minimum entry requirement does not mean CAO points.

• Advertisement

Babysmurf wrote: »
    Quercus scholars at UCC do not need to meet the points requirement for their course.
    Minimum entry requirement does not mean CAO points.

But they'd hardly let someone into a competitive course like Medicine or Pharmacy with just the basic matriculation requirements, would they?

They would have to make sure the scholarship recipient would be able to manage the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

But they'd hardly let someone into a competitive course like Medicine or Pharmacy with just the basic matriculation requirements, would they?

They would have to make sure the scholarship recipient would be able to manage the course.

Although I'm not certain I would think that the only exceptions for the high points courses medicine and dentistry would be dare and hear scheme applicants.

Advertisement