Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA in Economics in UCD

Options
  • 31-08-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hey, I will be studying for an MA in economics this year in UCD starting on September 9th. My main career objective is to become a economics researcher with hopefully the ESRI or whomever will have me. I was wondering if I made a good choice given my career aims and would anyone recommend any particular modules or areas to study?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Hi Donnaghm,

I did the UCD MA program in 2006/07. The program was really enjoyable and would be suitable for individuals looking to pursue careers in research.

In addition, I was able to combine my course work with a research position in the department. If you are interested in becoming a researcher I would recommend that you contact a number of the professors and ask them if they would be interested in hiring you on a part-time basis. This will give you the opportunity to gain some experience and earn some extra income.

Development and health economics are the two most appealing modules IMO. However, you may disagree. Pick the three modules that appeal to you the most.

It is never too early to start thinking about a research topic. Start researching areas that interest you for this in the first semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

See you there, donnaghm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Oh great thanks for the advice. Is there any lecturers I should avoid like the plague? Among the optional modules I find interesting are Economic development - the hole third world development thing is really interesting, energy economics - it seems economically sustainable energy sources will be a major issue in years to come, International trade - the ever increasing move towards protectionism is becoming a major issue. The content of the course seems highly relevant anyway.

Antithetic wrote: »
    See you there, donnaghm :)

Oh cool antithetic, what is your name?(so I'll recognize you when I see you). So what do you aspire to be when you finish this thing? My name is Donnagh Murphy. I'll probably be the only one with a bogger accent. Make sure you say hello to me as I'm new to UCD!

Donnaghm wrote: »
    Oh cool antithetic, what is your name?(so I'll recognize you when I see you). ... My name is Donnagh Murphy. I'll probably be the only one with a bogger accent. Make sure you say hello to me as I'm new to UCD!
    I'll send you a PM in a sec.
    So what do you aspire to be when you finish this thing?
    I'm mostly taking the year to avoid making big career decisions. I'm considering working hard and having a shot at the advanced classes in the second semester. This should give me good PhD options. I'm tempted to leave Ireland and apply to places like GMU, Berekely, UCSD, NYU, Warwick, Toulouse, Oxford and Cambridge. If I re-develop a hatred of all things econometric I might just take the easy options (*cough*energy*cough*) and become one of those public servant people working in places like the Competition Authority/Forfás.

I'm new to UCD too. Where'd you do your undergrad? Got your accommodation sorted?

• Advertisement

I'll send you a PM in a sec.

I'm mostly taking the year to avoid making big career decisions. I'm considering working hard and having a shot at the advanced classes in the second semester. This should give me good PhD options. I'm tempted to leave Ireland and apply to places like GMU, Berekely, UCSD, NYU, Warwick, Toulouse, Oxford and Cambridge. If I re-develop a hatred of all things econometric I might just take the easy options (*cough*energy*cough*) and become one of those public servant people working in places like the Competition Authority/Forfás.

I'm new to UCD too. Where'd you do your undergrad? Got your accommodation sorted?

I gave a strole around campus the other day and thought it lacks a bit of character tbh. And its ginormous and impossible to navigate around but I'm sure I'll begin to love it. I'd love to do a Phd myself also. It depends on whether or not I find this year extremely difficult. If I do, I may as well join the workforce. I am from Kerry so I did my undergraduate in UCC, the nearest university to me. It was a great experience but all my friends did three year degrees so I said I may as well move on. I was heavily involved in YFG in UCC and in the national organisation so I know a few attending the university already. Knowing others there before I even attend the college makes things a little less daunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Lacks a bit of character? Try Soviet looking. Wait until the cold winter days come - Grey, grey, grey. Especially the Newman building (where you lot will be).

If you want to check past papers you can on SIS - including the advanced core classes.

Edit: Oh and good luck, lads :)

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Lacks a bit of character? Try Soviet looking. Wait until the cold winter days come - Grey, grey, grey. Especially the Newman building (where you lot will be).
    Surely the weather doesn't make a difference to the student bar? :)
    If you want to check past papers you can on SIS - including the advanced core classes.
    Pfft... been there, done that, joined the Connect group.
    I dare you to identify yourself. You can even join us for a pint...

Can't be much worse than UL. What a miserable spot that is. What is SIS? Thank you. Good luck to you too in your endeavors!

Surely the weather doesn't make a difference to the student bar? :)
    It does when you have to walk about 8 minutes from the 46A stop to the bar/building and get ****ed on :pac:
    Pfft... been there, done that, joined the Connect group.
    Ahh connect - such a pointless thing. You'll end up using the direct links to BB, SIS and email.

I dare you to identify yourself. You can even join us for a pint...
    The probability of Batman revealing Batman's true identity is small. If I somehow run into you, in the vast space that is UCD, then I'll kick ya and you'll know it's me :D
    donnagh wrote:
    What is SIS? Thank you
    Student information system. You'll see a tag on Connect called 'my records' or something.

• Advertisement

Well David Mcwilliams, what did you make of our first lecture? I could have stayed at home and avoided the rain. Also, I am the plonker who arrived half an hour late this morning.
    The guy doing macro seems really good though.

Who do you have for macro - Pastine, Whelan, or Kelly?

Who do you have for macro - Pastine, Whelan, or Kelly?
    His name is Mr. Morgan Kelly I believe. Seems like a sound guy.

Donnaghm wrote: »
    Well David Mcwilliams, what did you make of our first lecture? I could have stayed at home and avoided the rain. Also, I am the plonker who arrived half an hour late this morning.
    Thought it was forty minutes? :pac:

I was over at the other side of the room surrounded by beautiful women. That's where you'll usually find me.
    The guy doing macro seems really good though.
    You missed the hilarious bit at the start where he stared intently at the class waiting for an answer to the "What's the point of macro?" question he posed. I disagreed with his reasoning that it's essentially the study of when equilibrium doesn't hold. I decided our first lecture wasn't the best time to propose "To double our job prospects."

He looks good alright, though I'm biased because I've been a fan of morganomics for a while. Though he hasn't updated his website yet, the course content is here. Looks standard enough: Keynes, Solow, Romer, Asset prices, Friedman/Sargent/New Keynes(?). Quite a bit like the course I took with Karl Whelan last year, actually.

Thought it was forty minutes? :pac:

I was over at the other side of the room surrounded by beautiful women. That's where you'll usually find me.

You missed the hilarious bit at the start where he stared intently at the class waiting for an answer to the "What's the point of macro?" question he posed. I disagreed with his reasoning that it's essentially the study of when equilibrium doesn't hold. I decided our first lecture wasn't the best time to propose "To double our job prospects."

He looks good alright, though I'm biased because I've been a fan of morganomics for a while. Though he hasn't updated his website yet, the course content is here. Looks standard enough: Keynes, Solow, Romer, Asset prices, Friedman/Sargent/New Keynes(?). Quite a bit like the course I took with Karl Whelan last year, actually.

Oh right, did you do a postgrad last year in UCD as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

He did that in my masters class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    He did that in my masters class too.

He did that in every one of my undergrad lectures I had him for. By the end of the year he was so comfortable with it he was waiting 5-10 minutes at a time for the answer to questions that everybody knew.

Advertisement