Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING - Be careful buying from Apple Ireland. Also - Advice desperately needed

Options
  • 25-11-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

To preface the story: I'm a 19 year old second year college student. After my first year of Computer Science my parents said I could buy a Macbook Pro because I did pretty good and then I could pay them back as I saw fit. (For Computer Scientists out there, please don't hate me I wanted to work with xcode even though I'm personally an android fan!)

I ended up purchasing the 13" Macbook Pro with the Retina display, just the base version as that was expensive enough as is. I bought it through the college though and got a discount which was cool enough. Anyway, a week or two later the laptop arrives, I was so excited as I had never even used a mac before in my life. So, I open it up and get it all started and life was great, or so I thought.

Here is where the problem begins. I pick up the laptop, open, for the first time ever to move it annnnnnnnnd rattle rattle rattle When the laptop is tilted left or right, it rattles. I was shocked. Weren't Apple renown for their exceptional build quality?? It sounded to me like the glass Apple logo on the back was rattling. I went on assuming maybe they all did that and lived with it. After a few weeks I was with a friend who also has one, and I asked to see if his does too. Nope. Great, so it's genuinely defective.

(At this point I'd like to point out the laptop had software issues in so far as it would frequently freeze and no input was accepted for up to a solid minute and then would resume. This was mainly when doing a 3 finger swipe between screens or whatever they are called and it would freeze mid swipe. But honestly, I would be willing to write that off as a bug or something, but it was mentioned later.)

So when I got home that day I called Apple support and got a lovely guy who was totally willing to help. He was genuinely so nice that I felt bad that I had a problem. He told me to bring it to Compu b and they will fix it totally free and without charge and he was so apologetic that I had a problem. So I bring it to Compu b and here is the real beginning of what I would deem one of the most frustrating situations of my life. (For any gamers, I am a big fan of the Souls series and that doesn't even scratch the level of frustration this caused)

I arrive at the counter of Compu b and explain my situation and that I was told to bring it to them. They didn't quite understand what I meant by a rattle and asked me to demonstrate so I take my laptop out of it's sleeve/case thing and tilt it left and right and sure enough, Rattle rattle rattle. Needless to say, the technicians jaw dropped and they said they had never seen something quite like that before but to definitely hand it in and they will take a look and get straight to fixing it, free of charge, of course. I also explained that there was a software issue where it would freeze and so on and they said they would look into it too. They then asked me for the password on the laptop and I said I would just remove it and went to do so. They said No just leave it on and give us the password and insisted on not letting me change it. Whatever, I don't use it really for anything else although that said I'd still prefer not to give it out. Anyway, the person I was dealing with said "Honestly, it will probably take a day or two, but I have to quote you 3 - 5 working days because of policy". Great, what a nice experience to walk in and everything is just sorted without paying a penny!

About a week later I get a call in the middle of a lecture, I quickly run out and answer and it's the Compu b technician ringing to ask what the problem with the laptop was. I didn't even know what to say because the wrote a fair sized chunk of text on what I was experiencing and gave me a copy of said report. Anyway, I still went on and told her, maybe they mislaid the report or there was a miscommunication. She asked me if wiping the laptop was fine and of course it was and that was the end of the call. After 10 working days I finally get a call to tell me to come pick it up. I go in and all is seemingly well. I was told the whole screen was replaced which I believe is the hinge up part of the laptop as it was all in plastic wraps and pristine. I took a quick look for any dings on the laptop and I was on my way. I get home and take all the plastic wrap off (This is important) and sure enough, rattle rattle rattle. The screen was also mounted *at and angle to describe it, it simply looked like this if you looked from the top down -> \ . So if the laptop was closed one the screen would ever so slightly hang over the edge of the body on one side and wouldn't be flush at all. I noticed this because when I was taking it out of the sleeve / case it was kind of sharp when my hand brushed against it so I took a closer look. Also, the vent / hinge at the back, one side was sitting higher than the other. Great, back to Compu b.

On arrival at Compu b they were shocked at my discovery and agreed to remount the screen properly. This only took the guts of an hour and it when I got it back it was still marginally off and not quite perfect, enough so that it would still be unpleasantly sharp if your hand was to brush against it. So, being the type of person I am, I brought it to the attention of the technician I was dealing with. I said that it was still sharp and not quite flush like the original laptop had been and he said and I quote "Ah yeah, sure it will never be perfect again. It will always be that little bit off, you just have to deal with it, tough luck". Nonononononononoooooooooooooononono. That's not tough. I'm not going to pay over a grand for a laptop and have it be wrong and be told tough. I smile and nod and leave and decide to ring Apple as I was not going to give a service provider which would treat a customer like that the time of day.

Upon calling Apple as per usual it's jumping through hoops and being transferred back and forth and being but on hold for ages. Eventually, I manage to get my case escalated into the Customer Relations department. The rep take a few minutes to read through my report so far and what has happened. They appreciate my patience and profusely apologize for what I have gone through. He said what the person in Compu B said was totally unacceptable and he couldn't believe I would be told something like that.

At this point I just politely asked him for a refund on my laptop as it was still rattling with a crooked screen and to quote the technician (Someone who is qualified to examine, repair etc these products) that the laptop will "Never be perfect again" Unfortunately, Irish consumer laws do not apply to purchasing from Apple Ireland as they are established in the US so the refund or replacement is at the discretion of the Manufacturer. (*I rang the consumer laws help line afterwards and he said my best bet was to take them to a small claims court but obviously, as a 19 year old student that is *a bit extreme for me. *) So he said before he could even consider *replacing the laptop, not refunding, it would need to have 3 repairs done to it. Simple, right? I have had to bring it in twice so once more and my problem might be slightly sorted. The rep recommended I go to one of two other establishments that weren't Compu b, either Ifixit or Mactivate. This was less than ideal as they are not exactly close and I'm a student who is only learning to drive so in order to get there I would have to take a day off and ask a parent to do the same in order to bring me out to one of these locations. I mentioned how all the traveling has been at my expense and I missed out on 3 weeks of note taking in college so far from all of this. The rep apologized and said they would organize a couturier to pick it up and bring it out to be repaired and drop it back, all I had to do was be there for the courier. They then said that the repair company would be in contact in order to sort out a time and date. (I would like to note at this point it has been explicitly mentioned I am a full time student and they know not to call me unless its after college or during a break for me and were told what times suited and didn't) This was fine I asked him to pass on my information on what times suited and didn't and we can try figure this all out. The rep then finished the call by apologizing for the whole ordeal and that they would put together some form of "package" to apologize for all the inconveniences I have had and to make up for everything. I thanked him for his time, effort and gesture and we end the call at that. This was on a Friday so next Monday my phone is going off in the middle of an exam (We operate on a Continuous Assessment basis for most modules). After the exam I had seen it was the repair outfit and I had received an email in which they stated they tried to contact me and had no luck. I quickly e-mailed them back the second I saw the e-mail explaining my situation with the exam. I was pleasant and formal, I mentioned my disappointment that they were not told that I'm a full time student and calling me during college hours was strictly a no go but that my last class had been postponed to a different day so they could feel free to call me at any time for the rest of the day (It was about 1 / 1.30 when I responded). From here on radio silence ensued and there was no attempt to contact. When the Apple rep rang me to check in and see how I was getting on, I explained and they offered to set it up for me as I had no time to do so within the company's working hours. This was great, I told them when I would be free to do so and a time and it was sorted.

The day the laptop is supposed to be collected they never actually specified a time and didn't stick to the one I gave as strictly as I expected so the house was unoccupied at the time of collection. I was hardly expected to sit in front of the door all day in anticipation of the courier. I get a call about the issue and apologies are exchanged and another time is scheduled, this time I spoke to the repair outfit myself one on one. We organized for lunchtime, around one o' clock. I head out that morning to get personal things that needed to be done, done so I would be free in time for this collection. I'm home and all before lunch and waiting, no sign. It is then brought to my attention they called randomly during the morning and again no one was there to answer. This was infuriating as the time-frame was so vague and now I'm the bad guy. I tell them I'll organize a day off for me and a parent and I'll drop the laptop out.

Upon Arrival at the repair outfit the technician greets me. I apologize for the misunderstandings and explain and then we get straight to the point. I show him the rattling problem and again, his jaw drops. He said he had never seen anything like it before and like Compu b he will get straight to it and fix it. He wanted other technicians to look at it first etc so I left it with him and they would get back to me within a day to let me know the details and time-frame. Yet again, radio silence so I call up and ask about it and apparently I didn't exist and no one ever handed in a laptop of such description. After insisting and giving dates and times and reference numbers the person I'm dealing with eventually does manage to locate the laptop / case and tells me when it should be ready. Great, it's all finally coming together.

Now for the day I collect it. We drive out and go to collect it and I'm blown away by the quality of service, they handed it back to me all wrapped up in a bubble wrap envelope and with the adhesive covers for the new parts still on the machine and so on. This is great, I was so happy, I inspected it and moved it annnnd Silence. Perfect! I leave totally satisfied.
    Later, the rep comes in contact (during college hours) and says the case with Apple will be closed and they were happy to help. Except no, the case is not closed. I explain to them that the only reason I was somewhat complacent with the idea of only repairing it over and over was because they said they would provide some form of compensation. The rep is gobsmacked, blown away. They claim to have never said that and it certainly won't be happening (During this call the Rep became quite heated. This wasn't the first or last time but I think its worth noting as its unprofessional, although I can totally understand the frustration they can feel although that's what they did sign up to do). I am shocked and explain how this is what they said and it is unacceptable and the response was that they organized a courier and I never followed through. This was true, BUT the courier never specified a time so it was ridiculous to expect me to take a whole day off and then sit waiting at the door for them to suddenly arrive when they see fit so I apologize but tell them that I'm not entirely the one to blame and it could've been organized a little better. The rep admits this is true and offers me a pair of Apple Earphones for my mac, as compensation. I genuinely laughed as I thought they were joking but was met with a serious response. I told them I already have Apple Earphones and for all this hassle and having a laptop that will always be off and never be perfect a pair of 15 euro earphones doesn't quite suffice. They say that there is no more they can do and if I would like to complain to go ahead but other than that my case is closed. I ask for it to be left open as I will do just that and we end the call there and I return to my lecture.

Over the next week, I had not used the laptop once and it was still covered in the adhesive plastic which comes on the new parts to protect them. In the middle of a lecture I had the laptop closed and decided to peel it off the Apple logo on the back. After peeling away the cover I decide to pick up the laptop and check and sure enough, rattle rattle rattle. The rep rings me again stating no complaint had been made and I explain to him what had happened. I was sitting with my group so they were there and witnessed it and before peeling it off. I also took a picture of the date and time and the sticker still on the laptop before peeling it off juuuussst in case there was any problems. The rep is surprised but understands. They say they will call the repair outfit and get back to me. They make note they are out of work for the coming week (Again, this was a Friday) so they will delegate the work and checkup to a colleague to make sure it gets done. Radio silence.

Finally, this brings us into the present, today. The rep rings me and we talk about the issue at hand. The rep says the repair outfit claim the rattle only happens if you forcefully flail the laptop and that it's "only a little rattle" and "not a big deal". They tell me that there is nothing more they can or will do as it is not a hardware problem so I will just have to live with it. They offer to close my case and I decline until further notice. I explain that the laptop is defective, it was not as described when I purchased it as it had a rattle (Bought it brand new from Apple Ireland through the Education thing, not refurbished) and they say that it's not defective in a way that they can deal with. They tell me I can go and try get it repaired at my own expense or if a repair crowd deems it to be a hardware issue that is under warranty they will foot the bill. After this I ask if I can escalate my problem any higher than them and they say I can write a complaint at most and I might receive a call about it. I asked them if there was a way of getting a definite response and they said it wasn't their job. I asked about a check one of their colleagues told me of where you bring it to a repair outfit and they can do an examination and deem it worth to be replaced or not. They just said it wasn't their job and they didn't know.
    (Worth noting during this call this was the most angry the rep had gotten)

Tl;dr Bought a broken laptop from Apple, was lied to, and told tough tits its going to stay that way, kiddo. (Not literally told that verbatim but you get the idea)

In conclusion, I am honestly quite upset over the whole ordeal. I had to spend a lot of money and worked hard to get said money and all I got was a defective laptop. I personally have to always have things right so something like a scratch on my phone would be upsetting to me so you can imagine what a rattling laptop is like. I understand some may say "So what? It rattles, get over it" but its fairly audible and it will drive down any potential resale value in the future should I decide to change. I don't understand why I'm the one who has to just deal with it and put up with it. First and probably most definitely last time I will buy any product from Apple. It has been extremely stressful and frustrating and it has been the worst experience I have had with a company, ever.

I am now stuck as to what to do. Of course, I am going to compile a complaint letter and send it off to Apple but I don't exactly want a situation where they get it, put it in a bin and thats the end of it.
    Has anyone ever had any experiences with a situation like this? What should or can I even do? Any advice would honestly be greatly appreciated!

Please note this is extremely paraphrased. The story took place over the span of a few months. If anyone would like to ask questions or wants further details I'm happy to provide them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement