Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby at NUIM?

Options
  • 13-09-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone.
    Having a bit of trouble. My boyfriend and I have a three month old baby, and cannot afford childcare. Our child is also too young to attend the creche in Maynooth, which is too expensive anyway. I'll be doing arts, so I'm wondering if I could bring my baby into lectures with me? There doesn't seem to be anything about it online? For anyone doing arts it will not be distracting, I will bring the baby outside the lecture theater for feeding and whenever there's a crying incident. Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

That's a bit of a problem. I remember one lady used to have to bring her two kids into class with her sometimes. They were just old enough that once in a while the lecturers had to tailor their language on certain subjects. But no one said anything or asked her to leave.

A baby might be different, but if nothing's said anywhere on the site about it, then as long as it doesn't become a disruption in class you might be ok. You would have to clear it with each individual lecturer beforehand though, just to be polite and all.

I say you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm also inclined to say the only people who'd be offended or annoyed at you bringing a baby in are just lousy gits anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MamaKH

mickstupp wrote: »
    That's a bit of a problem. I remember one lady used to have to bring her two kids into class with her sometimes. They were just old enough that once in a while the lecturers had to tailor their language on certain subjects. But no one said anything or asked her to leave.

A baby might be different, but if nothing's said anywhere on the site about it, then as long as it doesn't become a disruption in class you might be ok. You would have to clear it with each individual lecturer beforehand though, just to be polite and all.

I say you gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm also inclined to say the only people who'd be offended or annoyed at you bringing a baby in are just lousy gits anyway...

Thank you for the reply!:) i agree, they would be. I'll make sure to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

MamaKH wrote: »
    ...There doesn't seem to be anything about it online? ...

I googled 'children lectures maynooth university'. The 8th result was the Maynooth University Child Protection Policy.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/sites/default/files/assets/document/Child%20Protection%20Policy%20-%20University%20procedures%205%20June%202014.pdf

In Section 2; Students are not permitted to bring their children into classes, lectures and restricted areas of the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If I was back in maynooth and paying to be there and get an education , Id be pretty pissed off if somebody felt they could bring a baby into lectures and tutorials.

Its not like bringing a bag in with you , by their very nature babies make noise, need attention and occasionally cry. It is incredibly unfair on other students to have this forced upon them while trying to learn , especially since nobody wants to be the 'git' who complains about the baby , but theyd all resent you in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If I was back in maynooth and paying to be there and get an education , Id be pretty pissed off if somebody felt they could bring a baby into lectures and tutorials.

Its not like bringing a bag in with you , by their very nature babies make noise, need attention and occasionally cry. It is incredibly unfair on other students to have this forced upon them while trying to learn , especially since nobody wants to be the 'git' who complains about the baby , but theyd all resent you in private.
    At three months, the presence of a baby in a lecture hall or a library is really not a problem (for others; it will be somewhat disruptive for the parent caring for the baby).

But it will be a huge problem at 15 months, and utterly unmanageable at 27 months. So this can only be, at best, a short-term strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

Maybe you would be better off to defer your collage place for one year? That way you will have time to stay with your new born. Or talk to student advisory office or budget adviser maybe they will be able to help you with your financial difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 onionballs

my son was 2 weeks old when i started in first year. are you sure you have the right info on the crèche on campus? its €200 a week but if you or your partner are on any social welfare payment, they will give the crèche a grant of €100 a week. the college then subsidies you an extra €50 a week. so in the end you are only charged €50 a week for a really excellent, full time crèche service. something we were very grateful for. the students union also has a fund to help parents with childcare funds as far as i know

Advertisement