Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beware if Switching from Eircom to Sky

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

For anyone that's interested Comreg have now issued Eircom with a ruling on finding of non-compliance with respect to conditions and procedures for contract termination. Can be viewed here http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf
    Thanks for that good news CASEsensitive, I had not heard about it, Eircom being true to form are still pursuing me for payment despite this ruling. Hopefully, as iPhone says, Eircom are made to repay everyone they imposed this charge on and are hit with a big enough fine to discourage them or others pulling strokes like this in the future.

However, I expect Eircom made this decision in the knowledge they would eventually loose, but the gains to be made in discouraging customers switching to a new and attractive competitor for over a year far offset any potential fine. Unless ComReg can impose big enough fines and come to decisions much quicker, companies will ignore the rules to maximise profits, it is only when it hurts the bottom line that they will comply.

For anyone thinking of moving to Eircom or current customers remaining out of some loyalty, from my experience and having seen many other similar stories I would encourage you to have a second think about it (see also my thread under Eircom http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057074548 - the Eircom team on Boards are the best Eircom reps I have dealt with and probably the best way to interact with the company, if you have to).
    HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Herr Khume Schuccs

UPDATE:- Eircom refunded this charge to customers who had complained to them or ComReg (if you have not received your refund, you might consider contacting Eircom or ComReg).

Why Eircom were not required to automatically refund everybody they imposed this charge on is strange to say the least, as is not being required to pay interest on this money or not being fined for imposing this anti-competitive practice for years, even after ComReg had ruled against it back in 2012.
    HKS

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

I asked Sky to fix my **** broadband and they told me to hire an electrician to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Luis21 wrote: »
    I asked Sky to fix my **** broadband and they told me to hire an electrician to fix the problem.

That would be because you have an internal problem, not covered by EIRCOM'S liability (to the NTU). Sky will send somebody out from Eircom if you push, but it will leave you with up to a €180 bill from Eircom. Line rental covers from the exchange to the NTU (test socket in most modern sockets). Anything outside of that is your own problem, with every provider operating on Eircom's network. Anyway, this is comoletely irrelevant to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Luis21

What do I do then? What if I upgrade to fibre? Will they promise me 100mb and give me 2mb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Sky Ireland: Sam

Luis21 wrote: »
    What do I do then? What if I upgrade to fibre? Will they promise me 100mb and give me 2mb ?

Hi Luis21,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Broadband service.

Did you know we are now live on Boards.ie? The Sky Ireland Talk To... site can be found here and we would be more than happy to assist you.

If you wish to post your question/query on our site, we will endeavour to resolve this issue for you.

Regards,
    Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

Know a friend that recently switched from eircom to sky sky claimed they could check if they were still in a contract with eircom and were told they were not only to find out after they switched they were in a contract and were not told about the thirty days notice period

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Hi Luis21,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Broadband service.

Did you know we are now live on Boards.ie? The Sky Ireland Talk To... site can be found here and we would be more than happy to assist you.

If you wish to post your question/query on our site, we will endeavour to resolve this issue for you.

Regards,
    Sam

I have sky fibre broadband in Crumlin, Dublin 12 since Octber 1st 2015

It took 6 weeks to switch from UPC broadband to sky

It was not even sky's fault but BT Ireland/Eircom could not make a phone line active

I complained to COMREG about Sky and comreg promised it would be sorted in 2 weeks, comreg were right.
    Remember it was not even sky's fault but their wholesale provider, BT Ireland/Eircom

Sky Fibre Broadband in my view is much better than UPC/Virgin media broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

ftakeith wrote: »
    I have sky fibre broadband in Crumlin, Dublin 12 since Octber 1st 2015

It took 6 weeks to switch from UPC broadband to sky

It was not even sky's fault but BT Ireland/Eircom could not make a phone line active

I complained to COMREG about Sky and comreg promised it would be sorted in 2 weeks, comreg were right.
    Remember it was not even sky's fault but their wholesale provider, BT Ireland/Eircom

Sky Fibre Broadband in my view is much better than UPC/Virgin media broadband

I'd agree with this (disclaimer: I used to work in Broadband Tech for Sky). My 18Mb line was more reliable than I ever get with my 240Mb Virgin connection. Barely notice a difference speed wise except in a few cases.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Avada wrote: »
    I'd agree with this (disclaimer: I used to work in Broadband Tech for Sky). My 18Mb line was more reliable than I ever get with my 240Mb Virgin connection. Barely notice a difference speed wise except in a few cases.

totally agree 42mb wireless sky fibre broadband is better than 240mb virgin media broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

For anyone that's interested Comreg have now issued Eircom with a ruling on finding of non-compliance with respect to conditions and procedures for contract termination. Can be viewed here http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf

It appears nothing has changed from Eircoms (Eirs) perspective regarding procedures for contract termination.

Reference: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057582954

Advertisement