Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSC in Emergency Management DCU

Options
  • 12-01-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey,

Has anybody completed this course and in the process of. It really caught my eye, but I fear like my Hons Degree it could turn out to be a let down. Any comments I look forward to. Thanks in advance. Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Hi Conor, I should be able to help you as i am very aware of this course.

Some Questions:
    • What was your Hons Degree in? IE whats your background, have you any exposure or experience in this field etc
    • Is there an area of EM you are looking to get into [IE NGOs outside of Ireland (IFRC etc) or within Ireland?

To know this info will really allow me give you some tailored advice on the course.

Overall remarks:

This is a very good course. It is aimed at two levels, for people both new to EM, and persons working in EM but need formal qualifications. Both will find challenges, practitioners for example will have to remember it is a UNI course therefore has an academic style to it, use of references etc, People new to the field and out of UNI may not have this problem but will need to put in some time to lean the back ground info to EM that other may know.

The course attracts persons from HSE, AGS and DFB, etc, also from private companies [pharmaceutical, banking, BCM etc].
    It also takes in persons looking to work/ enter the discipline however for example over the past two years only about 5 out of 30 people may fit this bracket. This should not be off putting though, the course allows of students to work within some guidelines, such as a project on EM planning, could focus on Ireland, or if someone was interested in an international NGO context some flexibility may be viable depending on access to info etc.
    (people have finished this course and worked [for example] in the UN)

I can give you some more info, but to save me time typing, knowing where you are approaching this from would help. (Such as the questions above)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cbwex

@Whithawk,

My degree is in Criminal Justice. Experience only with Civil Defence really and currently setting up another voluntary organisation. I would like to get involved in Local Authority, and further in Civil Defence and then onto HSE.

Thanks so far.

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Well based on your interests there with CD, Local Authority and HSE and your background etc I would think you would enjoy the course, it is aimed at a mgmt level so the operations end of things is not covered as much, that is something to keep in mind!
    I would say your best bet is to email in to the course, let them see you CV and have a chat with them and see if you/they then think the course it right for you!
    It is part time, so they do like people to have some sort of job in the field before they apply so keep that in mind. But this is not set in stone as far as i know...

Do have a good read of the course outline and module; however modules can change year to year! There is an email address on the course page and i would email your questions in there.

I have you say though, i did NOT find this course a letdown, its a great course, before i joined it i was unsure if it was just going to be person from HSE and DBF looking for a promotion but this is in NO way the case, only around 3 people in my year from DFB, HSE etc rest where from other industry areas and one or two looking for a way in to the field like yourself.

If you have a direct questions ask away or pm me, though i am busy so a fast reply it will not be :) Other then that if you are still unsure send in an email to them, people on course are very happy to talk to people before they look in apply, as from going through it, they are not just looking to fill buts on seats so to say, they will really want to see if the person is suited, and thus like to have a chat over email with everyone i would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kanky

Hi Guys,

I just applied for this course toady, just wondering what sort of work load is involved in the course?

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 powerwalker

Hi Kanky,

Best of luck with your application, I have completed this MSc and found the work load quite demanding on average 30 to 40 hours per week. So plenty of late nights and early mornings. But that said, it depends on what students want to get from this or any course with regards to results.

Regards

Ps. You can pm me ur details if u need to have a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Apologies for digging up and old thread, but I'm considering applying for this course in the 15/16 year.

I currently work a 50+ hour week, and while my employer will be flexible regarding lecture time etc, will there really be a need for 30+ hours college work per week?

My understanding is that there will be 2 x full days of lectures per month.

Has anyone completed the course whilst in full time employment - how did you find it?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shaheen

Hi Dave,

I'm also thinking about applying for this programme for the 2015/2016 years. Did you find any recent feedback about the course? I've contacted the course administrators and hoping to get further information from them, but of course it's always best to hear experiences of people who went through it as well.

I'm curious about what jobs people went into after graduating, and what their previous experience was like. It sounds like (based on the conversation above) that it is useful for those looking to enter the field. I'm hoping to get a sense of what opportunities they found for entry-level.

Are you still planning to apply? Maybe see you in September.

Shaheen

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Hey guys, I am considering applying for this msc in September.

MSc Humanitarian Logistics & Emergency Management.

Can anyone give any advice on it? It is a DCU/NUIM degree, and I am an NUIM geography graduate.

Advertisement