Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Experience with oil leak stop additives?

Options
  • 25-06-2014 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Had the car in for a timing belt change and service recently, and while they were at it, asked for a thorough check to see where a small oil leak is coming from.

It was diagnosed as more of a "weep" than a leak, not really news to me as the oil level had only dropped a negligable amount in 8 months (still check regularly in case of it suddenly springing a leak).

The advice was to use one of those "stop leak" additives. Anyone any experience with these?

I would like to get it sorted, as I don't like seeing the grubbiness around the engine block and tray underneath, and I'd be concerned about it overnight getting worse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Don't use it stop leak in engine
    you have a worn seal the only real cure is new seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What oil is in there now? What car? What year? How much is it losing?

For older cars it's generally better to use a thicker oil than some additive but it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Thanks, wasn't sure about just sticking something into the oil alright...

5w30 is what's there at the minute. The oil on the dipstick is still pretty clear about a month after the service (was the same last time after I bought the car, old oil was more brown and murky before the service though).

2005 Renault Laguna 1.6 Petrol. As I said, negligible oil loss - I'd estimate 4 mm (less than half a cm) in 8 months.

Car is in good nick and running well, suits us perfectly and looks nice. Got hold of the previous service history ringing up garages in it's previous hunting grounds and it seems to genuinely have been looked after. So I'd like to get it in perfect nick seeing as I've other priorities right now rather than a newer car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id be happy enough putting in 10w40. But just good oil. Castrol is my choice.

stop leaks create more trouble than fix

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, I'd switch to 10/40 too but tbh, with that small loss I'd just keep driving and filling up every 6 months. Plenty many cars lose or burn more than that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement